over moderation of this site

No, this site belongs to its owners, and they and their moderators have a right to do with it as they please. There is no freedom of speech on a privately owned web board.

People wildly overestimate how important this board is. While I agree, there are issues to be discussed, this is not the forum for those discussions. We're not going to change the drum corps world here talking with our cute little screen names and venting about the conspiracy theories we think are designed to destroy drum corps as we know it. The fact is, we're a pretty doom and gloom oriented society. We live in constant fear that financial crisis, or a terrorist attack, or the next big hurricane is right around the corner ready to destroy us all. In the end, we survive it. Drum corps is no different. Its a niche activity, and always has been (despite what some might try to say). It will continue to be a niche activity. Its seeing some financial troubles as is the entire rests of the country, but it will survive that too. The issue we run into, is that in this day and age, everyone has instant access to all kinds of information, so all of a news travels much faster about certain things. As a result, everyone thinks they should know everything, and have a say in everything that goes on in this activity. The fact is, any discussion had here on this board will be between the 30 or so individuals who bother to contribute. It will have no impact on the future of the activity, as we represent a very small contingency of the fans and participants of the activity. We need to stop thinking so highly of ourselves.

Are you one of the moderators ?

• Like 1

Are you one of the moderators ?

Dude....give it up. If Jeff Ream's not being over-moderated, no one is.

It's all in HOW you say it. (prior YouTube posting rules aside). I can only remember one time when I had a post deleted by the mods....I'd said something about a political candidate figuratively cutting his own throat during the 08 campaign. JohnD removed it....and then smacked me on the head with his hat at the Riverside, CA show that year (remember that, John?)

The fact remains that DCP is owned by John Donovan...it's HIS site...we;re only guests here. Don't like it? Open your own forum.

No, this site belongs to its owners, and they and their moderators have a right to do with it as they please. There is no freedom of speech on a privately owned web board.

People wildly overestimate how important this board is. While I agree, there are issues to be discussed, this is not the forum for those discussions. We're not going to change the drum corps world here talking with our cute little screen names and venting about the conspiracy theories we think are designed to destroy drum corps as we know it. The fact is, we're a pretty doom and gloom oriented society. We live in constant fear that financial crisis, or a terrorist attack, or the next big hurricane is right around the corner ready to destroy us all. In the end, we survive it. Drum corps is no different. Its a niche activity, and always has been (despite what some might try to say). It will continue to be a niche activity. Its seeing some financial troubles as is the entire rests of the country, but it will survive that too. The issue we run into, is that in this day and age, everyone has instant access to all kinds of information, so all of a news travels much faster about certain things. As a result, everyone thinks they should know everything, and have a say in everything that goes on in this activity. The fact is, any discussion had here on this board will be between the 30 or so individuals who bother to contribute. It will have no impact on the future of the activity, as we represent a very small contingency of the fans and participants of the activity. We need to stop thinking so highly of ourselves.

Every time I hear this I think of May, 2010.

Those of you who think this thread is irrelevant should PM John D and ask for the statistics. Daily views, number of members, etc and find me any other site that has the drum corps devotion that this one does.

Sure, you could chat on Facebook if you don't mind your drum corps discussion smathered in photos of grandma and this past summer's vacation.

I say, if you think that the powers-that-be ignore this site, you're sadly deluded.

May, 2010 DEFINATELY had an impact on the activity. And that impact started on DCP.

• Like 1

Dude....give it up. If Jeff Ream's not being over-moderated, no one is.

And he's easier to ignore on line than in person. :tongue:/>/>

I can only remember one time when I had a post deleted by the mods....I'd said something about a political candidate figuratively cutting his own throat during the 08 campaign. JohnD removed it....and then smacked me on the head with his hat at the Riverside, CA show that year (remember that, John?)

You've been a good boy then Sam. Had a few deleted due to way off topic and some where I got too PO'ed for my own good and got reported. LOL, well I know I reported myself one time after I calmed down. Mod had to give me the "let us handle it" talk while I'm sure he was rolling his eyes (we had met before). Kicker was the other guy got eventually banned for reasons I can only guess at.

The fact remains that DCP is owned by John Donovan...it's HIS site...we;re only guests here. Don't like it? Open your own forum.

'Zactly.... house rules.... and it's Johns house.... At least he doesn't get upset like a previous owner when you disagreed with his view on DCI.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On the reverse side, many of us can imagine the usenet group alt.drumcorps from back in the 90's and 2000's. It's a complete cesspool of spam and crazy posts from the likes of something called Colonel Jake and who can forget Catherine Burr. That's of waste of time and energy.

Speaking of RAMD, who was the guy who critiqued corps based on the concept of "Planar Analysis?" I can't remember his name anymore.

Edited by LincolnV

Stuart Rice. I actually was a big fan of Planar Analysis - it was a way to try to overlay a structured framework and rubric onto the chaos of on-field design.

If you (not you, but 'you') have time, Google RAMD Virtual Symposium - that was the attempt back in the day to do some weighter, highbrow articles.

Mike

Stuart Rice. I actually was a big fan of Planar Analysis - it was a way to try to overlay a structured framework and rubric onto the chaos of on-field design.

If you (not you, but 'you') have time, Google RAMD Virtual Symposium - that was the attempt back in the day to do some weighter, highbrow articles.

Mike

"Weighty" and "High-brow" seem to be two words that I'd never, ever connect with RAMD.

:shutup:/>

I seem to recall that while it held some potential on the judging side, it did pretty poorly when you tried to use it to actually write drill.

There you go. One site. More than one view.

When I'm tempted to complain about the moderation on DCP, it's more likely because I wish there were a way to filter out more of the nonsense that litters so much of the discussion. Too much noise - and too much of the same noise, I say. If only the mods could read my mind ...

There is one more tangible moderation suggestion I'd make: Don't close threads just because the OP requests. I think the subsequent writers have as much right to decide what's next as the original poster. An active discussion is active. Don't kill it just because someone changed his mind.

HH

Just FYI - sometimes we do keep a thread going contrary to the request of the OP to close it. The majority of times it is obvious that the thread needs killed, but sometimes the topic definitely still has value to and interest of the rest of the board, even though the OP may not agree.