What happens next?

Not to derail the thread, but I definitely would not label DCI's half-hearted mention of the "special series" as Marketing. Their lack if enthusiasm is telling.

And from the content of the leaked emails, it seems as if DCI is essentially contracting these shows out to MiM. I would expect it the be a separate agreement than the traditional show-host package, and costs passed on would be in according to a new agreement. That is speculation, but it would be wrong to just simply assume everything is the same way that it used to be.

Agree DCI doesn't seem to be marketing these shows -- more like acknowledging their existence.

My impression as well is that these shows are being run top-to-bottom by MiM and are just 'sanctioned' by DCI.

I can see it now. BD wins DCI World Class Traditional title and DCI World Class Wood title.

Oh, I suppose that could happen, but I don't think it'll be very likely.

Consider the amount of work...the practice time...involved in developing and perfecting one show a season. Now consider doing two shows in the same season. I don't hold out much hope that BD would win either title.

Agree DCI doesn't seem to be marketing these shows -- more like acknowledging their existence.

My impression as well is that these shows are being run top-to-bottom by MiM and are just 'sanctioned' by DCI.

If that turns out to be the case, then the MiM shows this summer will be a strong litmus test for the whole concept. If they turn out to lose money, then DCI finds itself in a stronger bargaining position next summer, and maybe an equilibrium can be established.

If however, they turn out to be profitable, or close enough to convince the MiM groups that they can get over the hump with a more streamlined back end, then look out.

Mike

Absolutely. Within the G7 there will be the inevitable split over revenue sharing, costs incurred, reimbursements, what to do next, what to leave in, what to leave out, etc. There are some gigantic egos involved here, and like all cases, SOMEBODY within this 7 will emerge to drive things the way HE envisions things... andthe others will be along for the ride. But there are big egos in this 7, and I don't see the egos giving in to one single ego.

right. who does ticketing? YEA has their operation, Cornw theirs. clinics? System Blue? YEA? Crown?

I see two visions here..Hop the artistic, Gibbs the money.It's up to therest to fight their way in, or concede

No, these shows were making money before. Therefore, they would have contributed to the revenue sharing pool. But then they were changed to TOC shows, which did not make money for DCI because pay to the TOC corps was so much higher.

What expenses and risk are the G7 incurring? They get more money up front just for being in the show. Meanwhile, DCI is scheduling a whole tour so that each G7 corps will have two dozen other paydays on their way to/from their MiM shows. I understand that a show host takes risk, as is the case when Crown hosts the Charlotte show, or Cadets hosting the Meadowlands show. But DCI runs Murfreesboro, and I have seen nothing indicating who is running the other three MiM events.

Beyond that, DCI is doing marketing, taking (or at least routing) ticket orders, maintaining a pool of judges from which they will supply a panel for each of these shows, and quite likely providing a contest coordinator to manage the event. Travel for all the judges and the contest coordinator will be addressed by DCI. I am probably forgetting quite a few other things that DCI provides for these shows. Some of those services are ongoing programs that the G7 are not paying for at all. Others are itemized cost components of the DCI show contract, but are not always billed in proportion to the cost DCI incurs (if they were, DCI would have made money on the TOC series).

Seems that DCI takes a sizable share of the cost and risk in this venture. To the extent that affects their bottom line, that reduces revenue sharing to all member corps, including the ones locked out of participation in these "special shows".

But if that were true, they would have run the TOC shows in 2011 and 2012, rather than go to DCI for sanctioning, judges, contest coordination, marketing, and everything else.

I'm sure some of the smaller venues may be making money, though the stadiums have drawn less than favorable reviews. But when you're booking a place the size of MetLife Stadium, which goes for $100k a day, that's serious cash. And from what I remember, the original proposal called for many similar sized stadiums. Now add in marketing costs, etc...you need a lot of tickets sold at say an average price of $50 just to cover costs. Now, how many more do you need to sell to get money back to the 7 corps?

So imagine, ticket prices having $50 as the end point. That will turn some people off.

It's a huge risk From what we see so far in the 990's thread, some of these corps aren't really in the position now to assume some of these risks.

Some comments:

"I wonder what the G7 members think about not being able to perform I&E? Kind of sucks for them, I guess."

Personally, I am OK with that part - it is about the Corps, not the individual.

But that is just me.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

I am not sure what happens next. Split? No split? I have no idea.

What I do know is that SOMETHING has to drastically change for the activity we all love to keep going. Costs are out of control, and there HAS to be some outside of the box thinking or it will soon be lights out for everyone. Not one, but SEVERAL corps folded last summer while on tour. And it's looking like it will be a challenge for the Glassmen to field a corps next year. That's not good, folks.

Since the number of corps keeps getting fewer, I imagine that in the future, drum corps will be a lot like... NASCAR. There will be a single caravan of corps traveling from show to show. There will only be enough corps for one show a night. The mighty will survive and the smaller corps without diverse revenue streams will die.

And if the corps were smart, they would travel in pairs, share housing sites, and do everything in their power to split the costs. Perhaps they could share the use of a SINGLE food truck, thereby taking a rig off the road. And instead of yet another tractor trailer for equipment, why don't they have smaller equipment trailers towed behind each bus? I imagine taking an 18 wheeler off the road will save a TON of money.

Perhaps the "big corps" are in a huge power grab. Or maybe they are working to reinvent themselves so they can simply survive (and some form of the activity can continue).

Only time will tell.

Not to derail the thread, but I definitely would not label DCI's half-hearted mention of the "special series" as Marketing.

Why not? They are billing them as a series of special shows. They are listed in the schedule on DCI.org. Updates on venue information and details about the format of these special shows will be captured there as they become available. Ticket ordering will be linked through this portal as well.

What has Music in Motion, Inc. done to market these shows so far?

There are 29 shows scheduled for Fridays and Sundays. There are 7 MiM shows ( the 7/7 show is *not* part of the series).

Not sure how 7 out of 29 can be considered a monopoly in any way, shape or form.

the 7/7 show in PA is labeled "Music in Motion" on the DCI tour schedule. That's all I was going by.

of course... the G7 kindly left the early season Fridays and Sundays for the other corps. Very kind of them.