Cadets 2013 Show announcement

I think they are moving away from visual things they have done and are taking a new approach. They will always have crazy drill moves as long as Jeff is writing but with this show, they are retrofitting music around visual concepts they want to experiment with.

They usually develop the visual around musical production. Concepts such as "non-movement" are also being looked at so not sure we are going to see the Cadets status quo. Probably a good thing since they have been "stuck" design wise for several seasons. (exception 2011).

I am looking forward to a very strong Cadets in 2013.

Back in the day we called it "standing still" or "concert formation". Isn't it great how something old can become new again?

There will still be a company front but I hope there will be a twist to it so it goes with the theme.

How do you know this???

It's what they do. :cool:/>

There will still be a company front but I hope there will be a twist to it so it goes with the theme.

It's what they do. :cool:/>/>/>

If they end with another company front, I'm DONE with drum corps forever. FOREVER!!!! :w00t:/>

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Back in the day we called it "standing still" or "concert formation". Isn't it great how something old can become new again?

Don't think they will be standing in a semicircle playing, more like "strike a pose" or some animated body communication while the

other side of the corps is running. Its seems to be all about contrast of sound, movement, color etc. Not plugging it, just reiterating what was stated by George and commenting. My initial impression is that it gives them alot of options to do great stuff. We'll see...

Don't think they will be standing in a semicircle playing, more like "strike a pose" or some animated body communication while the

other side of the corps is running. Its seems to be all about contrast of sound, movement, color etc. Not plugging it, just reiterating what was stated by George and commenting. My initial impression is that it gives them alot of options to do great stuff. We'll see...

My initial impresseion was that it was just a bunch of verbose nonsence. But we will see....

• Like 1

My initial impresseion was that it was just a bunch of verbose nonsence. But we will see....

My impression is THIS is a bunch of verbose nonsense, but we will see...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is, it's going to be an amazing show.... Barber done well is an awesome thing (It likely won't be a spinoff of star '93, or scv '99, the cadets, and especially Jay Bocook are known for originality)

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

It sounds to me as if they are exploring duality again. It's just a different version. A caveat-I'm not panning the idea. I'm just posting an observation. Love the source music this year. :)

2005-Duality in visual effect: uniform

2006-Duality in visual effect: uniform

2009-Duality in theme: Jets v Sharks, Duality in visuals: Drill

2011-Duality in visual effect: uniform, Duality in theme: Good v evil, Duality in visuals: drill and corps character development, Duality in music: sacred v demonic

2012-Duality in music: sacred v secular

2013-Duality in theme: opposing ensembles, Duality in visual effect: Drill and use of contraptions

• Like 1

Carolina Crown calls that "The first half of our show". Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh BURN! Jk.

But seriously, a lot of corps spend some time not moving (BD does it rip face), but it'll be interesting how designers can bring their non-movement to focus.

It sounds to me as if they are exploring duality again. It's just a different version. A caveat-I'm not panning the idea. I'm just posting an observation. Love the source music this year. :)

2011-Duality in visual effect: uniform, Duality in theme: Good v evil, Duality in visuals: drill and corps character development, Duality in music: sacred v demonic

2013-Duality in theme: opposing ensembles, Duality in visual effect: Drill and use of contraptions

"A tradition in innovation"

You know you can pretty much state anything as generally as possible to prove any point...

2005 was not about duality. It was about the twilight zone and girl exploring her different personalities etc. The flip sided uniform was but a small part of the overall concept which you so easily looked over to prove your point.

2006 was not about duality. It was about Alice in Wonderland, The tea party and part two of this girl's journey into Wonderland. The uniform was NOT even about duality as the front look normal and back was sparkly foil colors... Not exactly dualistic...

2009 was about conflict and resolution while portraying the music of West Side Story which in itself is a modern day version of Romeo And Juliet. While there were parts of the show portraying confrontation this was in noway symbolic of duality.

2011: YES it was dualistic, Opposites, and everything about it was showing the duality of Good and Evil.

2012: Sacred vs Secular? That could be your interpretation. But in reality it was discovering the meaning of Christmas and each song was another interpretation of what that was.

2013: Your guess is as good as mine. Though duality could be a strong theme I think part of it actually LACK of duality in that if two things are going on at the same time they are not equal and balance (an aspect of duality that is important to portray when referencing it). There are talks about more than two things going on at the same time and if that is the case your idea of this being a "duality" show is further debunked. but we can not say what this show will be January.

• Like 1