If you had the ability to change one rule in DCI

My change:

eliminate everything but the directors.

No members to make mistakes. Not instruments to play out of tune. No drill to clutter the field. No amps to better hear acoustic instruments. No more dutting. No more balance issues, no more travel expenses, crappy indoor stadiums, crappy outdoor stadiums, hideous guard costumes, obscure music, tired retread over-played music, simulated murders, mirrors, chairs, doors, diamondcutters, sunglasses, or dada. The activity can just be a room full of directors who spend 25 minutes describing their well-honed show ideas, put the presentations on youtube, and let everyone vote on which sounds the best. Why bother with any of this other junk?

• Like 3

I would DECREASE the value of GE in the judges sheets. I feel that the overall show design is winning DCI instead of the performances by the corps members themselves.

• Like 4

I would somehow institute a cap on spending for ALL corps. Even if the uniforms and instuments are given to top corps, it would count towards the value of the cap. Staff also, look at some of the web pages of the top 8 corps, there are almost as many staff members as corps members. This is considered a non profit activity.

• Like 2

I'd change the age limit. I got another tour or two in me still.

If you're gonna change it, add enough so someone my age could march a year, since I'm only about 40 years past the age limit. :)

Of course I'll probably look kind of funny marching with Colt Cadets or Blue Devils C

I'm thinking DCI could generate some interest if they put this to a fan vote. All ticket-holding attendees of DCI events all summer could vote for one rule to eliminate and then DCI would have to abide by it the following season. :w00t:/>

If DCI was formed on the fundamental principal that drum corps, and drum corps only, would have say on rules, policy, sheets, finances, etc. it seems kind of silly to put such a big "responsibility" up in the air like that. Reading posts on here, there are people who want DCI to devolve as far as design trends: take away things that have been standard in marching band and WGI for decades!

That being said, I wonder what would happen if DCI implemented something kind of like what you suggest, only in a more tangible, "higher stakes" way:

Say DCI said that if a certain number of tickets are sold (lets say 25,000? would that be a pretty awesome attendance for Lucas Oil Finals?) for DCI WC Finals, ticket holders Finals night would have the choice of a few options that would be deemed illegal for the 2014 DCI season. We can put the choices at

1) no electronics, only mic'ed acoustic instruments,

2) electronics are legal but no pre-sampled/recorded elements

3) woodwinds are legal

4) no changes to 2014 rules

* DCI could use this as a "fundraiser" - people who are so adamant about wanting change might decide it's worth going to Finals in order to affect change. Heck, maybe if they're that adamant they'll convince lots of others who feel the same way, so they'll have more votes

* there is a "no change" option for those who are cool with drum corps now, and likewise there is a woodwind option for those looking for radical change (Mike :tongue: ) Plus, it might give a 'concession' for corps who are looking to add that type of change: if enough fans want it, maybe there's a market for it but if no one seems to want it maybe we can leave it alone?

* the changes would be temporary, and potentially minimal to show design.

* potential problem: if this kind of thing were to happen, and lets say "no electronics" or something were to pass, that could push the G7 corps further away from DCI.

* It could also make them realize "fans came out in droves to voice their opinion AGAINST electronics/whatever" It could be an eye-opener one way or the other (what if WW legalization were to win?! Talk about certain directors pounding their chests as Alpha males saying 'told ya so!'), and it's possible there would be just as many drum corps fans who were turned off by the outcome.

It might be a fun temporary thing: definitely an "outside the box" type of fundraising idea! I'd LOVE to see a director put his faith in their fanbase, and either auction off control of some design element or do a huge raffle type thing along the lines of "if we get 'x' amount of dollars we will not have any samples in our show this year." Imagine if Hopkins did that with Cadets: it's possible you'd have people who normally wouldn't think about donating money to them cutting large checks just to feel like they had a big part in changing Cadets!! I know that directors (rightfully) take the competition aspect of the activity VERY seriously: especially the top dogs. But I think if they dropped the design pretension and gave the fans an inch they could gain a mile in funds!

no doing lame shows

okay I'm joking, but in all seriousness, as an animal lover I would probably have a rule where one live animal should be incorporated into every show. The largest and most exotic animal gets its own caption award.

and if the animal plays an an instrument or marches the drill , well that's like catching the golden snitch. game over.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2