Why Aren't Crowd Reactions Like They Used to be?

there's a zillion possibilities. What see now is the same option over and over and over and over again.

so...you didn't answer the question but instead say there's a zillion possibilities which apparently *you* know about but not a single other visual designer knows about it.

i'd like to hear all these drill moves you have stashed away that create resolution and impact, have flexible entry and exit methods, blah blah blah that the rest of the world apparently doesn't know about it.

enlighten us oh great master of movement design !

• Like 1

Getting back to the original post....

Just listening to shows past, and crowd reactions are just so much more energetic and emotional than those of today's shows. What's with that?

I can't answer your question (no one can) without knowing which "shows past" you are referring to. 1971? 1981? 2011? Why no one cares to even ask that is beyond me.

Regardless, I hope the OP is not drawing conclusions based entirely on the recordings. If you weren't there, you can't judge crowd reaction from recordings made with such a wide variety of equipment and deployment. These days, many of our championship recordings are made with mics pointed at the crowd specifically to capture their reaction....this was generally not done back in the day (perhaps not ever prior to the mid-'80s).

I think that it all comes down to the point that shows today are written for the judges, and not the audience.

Show designers, please remember that a football field is not, and never will be, a Broadway stage. Nor will it ever be Carnegie Hall. If the crowd's reaction to your show is "WTF?" - You're doing it wrong.

• Like 2

I think that it all comes down to the point that shows today are written for the judges, and not the audience.

Show designers, please remember that a football field is not, and never will be, a Broadway stage. Nor will it ever be Carnegie Hall. If the crowd's reaction to your show is "WTF?" - You're doing it wrong.

I get your point I think, but your comments seem confused. If we accept your first paragraph comment, ie, " todays shows are written for the judges ", presumably by design, then why would the creator of the show care about the crowd reaction, and why would you say they're " doing it wrong " if the crowd reaction is " WTF " ? The two statements in each paragraph are in conflict with one another, no ?

Just listening to shows past, and crowd reactions are just so much more energetic and emotional than those of today's shows. What's with that?

... larger crowds in the past

.....shows and scoring sheets emphasized the music more than the visual, and music was written in an emotional grabbing way

.....shows in the past had more impactful moments musically,ie there was a clear end to the song, allowing fan response.

....shows today flow better from start to finish, so audience response comes mostly at the end of the performance

.... the more intellectual shows of today don't seek " energetic " and "emotional " responses. That'd be an oxymoron.

.... visual shows of today require snippets of songs, ie stacatto notes to accomplish the primary visual desired effect.

....audiences are different today. Not as many regional rivalries in Corps today that used to spark audiences.

..... brass lines, although considerably larger in numbers, do not generate brass volume like they used too. G's ?

.....fewer brass soloists in shows today (although this trend seems to be returning of late)

..... More Guard soloists in Corps performances today... but they don't get the reaction brass soloists used to receive.

.....more difficult and demanding brass charts of today are meant to impress band directors and judges, not audiences.

.....better brass chart writers in the past that knew how to write the music charts in an audience appealing manner.

....did I mention " larger crowds " in the past ? The sheer size of the crowd effects the noise level, and energy at shows.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I won't speak for anyone else, but for me, FanNetwork does "desensitize" me to some extent. Obviously, I don't mean to say that a streaming video over computer speakers is on par with seeing the performance live.

But after seeing them online, I know what to be expecting from the corps when I actually do see them live. There's an element of surprise that no longer exists in today's social media. Add to that the fact that I can continuously re-watch shows, and the "wow" factor will continue to be diluted.

Kind of a double edged sword. I want a constant feed of drum corps throughout the summer, but it loses it's impact after awhile.

Maybe I'll try and switch it up for 2013....

Well yea but what about here on the west coast? We don't get to see regionals and only get to see a handful live in june. It might not be as good as live but if you hear it on my vintage stereo you would still be impressed at least a little.

• Like 2

.....better brass chart writers in the past that knew how to write the music charts in an audience appealing manner.

Better Brass charts in the past? blink.gif

Really? I am amazed at the quality of sound of todays Brass!!!!

• Like 1

"Creativity," of course, is a slippery slope. Star '93 was innovative, very "creative" - and got booed. Blue Devils 2010, 2012 - both daring programs, out there on the edge, were not uniformly well received. Folks want to see something new, as long as it looks like the same old stuff they used to cheer for. Isn't that kind of where this thread started?

Peace, holiday regards,

Fred O.

yet they still do box set under power chord with body move inserted for added demand.

not that ground breaking really

so...you didn't answer the question but instead say there's a zillion possibilities which apparently *you* know about but not a single other visual designer knows about it.

i'd like to hear all these drill moves you have stashed away that create resolution and impact, have flexible entry and exit methods, blah blah blah that the rest of the world apparently doesn't know about it.

enlighten us oh great master of movement design !

actually go back and look, I threw a few out there. helps if you read the entire post.

but I guess since everyone's doing it, and they are, it's ok and the epitome of creativity!

:rolleyes:/>

• Like 2

Better Brass charts in the past? blink.gif

Really? I am amazed at the quality of sound of todays Brass!!!!

" better " is a subjective term, so you have a point. I was not referring to " quality of sound " here however. There are very high " quality " brass lines can also are unappealing to me, as the brass chart as written left something to be desired. For example, I liked some of the early written brass charts for " West Side Story " ( '84 & '94) from the Cadets over the later " West Side Story " written brass charts for the Cadets ( 2009 ) Same songs. But written differently in composition by different arrangers. The brass line " quality of sound "comparisons between these 3 brass lines was simply another matter altogether.

Edited by BRASSO