2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

DCI being screwed up isn't enough for you, you want to mess with DCA too, huh? Wanting everything your own way isn't good sharing.....

this will surprise some long time readers, knowin g that I am personally against any type of electronics ( mainly because usage sucks and judging it suck worse).

DCA needs the stuff gang. the DCA audience is getting older, dying off or being unable to attend events. In order to keep drawing in younger fans and members, it needs what those people are used to seeing/using in DCI, band etc. Now that Pandora's box is opened, the other stuff will come in time...synths etc. Most likely usage will suck and the judging community will give it pass after pass....after all, we were told in 2004 the DCI folks were the experts, and issues galore still happen there.

Yes, it will turn off older fans. But in order to stay alive, DCA needs newer blood in the seats.

• Like 4

This will surprise some long time readers, knowing that I am personally against any type of electronics (mainly because usage sucks and judging it suck worse).

DCA needs the stuff, gang. The DCA audience is getting older, dying off, or being unable to attend events. In order to keep drawing in younger fans and members, it needs what those people are used to seeing/using in DCI, band, etc. Now that Pandora's Box is opened, the other stuff will come in time: synths, etc. Most likely, usage will suck, and the judging community will give it pass after pass... after all, we were told in 2004 the DCI folks were the experts, and issues galore still happen there.

Yes, it will turn off older fans. But in order to stay alive, DCA needs newer blood in the seats.

I can believe that DCA pit members, having so often used amplified mallets outdoors by now, expect it when they play in DCA.

I cannot believe that audience members of any age are clamoring for pit instruments to be amplified.

But amplified pits, much as they are philosophically dubious (but then so was the idea of the pit in the first place), weren't of themselves much of a problem in DCI 2004-2008. (The amplified voice, however, of at least Crown 2004, Blue Devils 2005, and Cadets 2007-2008 were disastrous.) It's the past four years where almost every DCI performance has at least a couple minutes where one person at a keyboard is playing as loud as 60+ horns that is so terrible. And sadly, I can believe that younger audience members think that a brass choir needs a synthesized bass subwoofer to sound full. They just don't know any better.

• Like 2

And THIS is the answer?

Edited by OldManDrumCorps
  • Like 1

I heard George wasn't even at the meeting when they proposed the amplification rule. ph34r.gif

It's far easier for some folks to blame it all on Mr. Hopkins than to look at the actual event. In this case, HE formed C2, so therefore IT MUST BE HIS FAULT.

The point of amplification is not that you never play at full dynamics. It's that you don't have to just to be heard.

Parts can be played with the appropriate technique, dynamics and musicianship and still be as present as they need to be to achieve the desired effect.

wait,.............so,..............because they are amped, the are only acting as if they are beating the crap out of the instruments?,.............and that is appropriate technique?,,................I have to say, I never learned that?

• Like 1

And so it begins.

The offer I made in the Cadets2 thread this time last year still stands; in 2015 or so, when the dust settles and all the "useful idiots" are standing around asking "WTF happened?" , PM me and I'll explain it to you. I'll use small words if necessary.

the sad thing is,...........I don't think they would even accept that because they are so brilliant they will blame the demise on IPads and TV, rather that accepting that they f^^^^d things up,...............look at DCI,............things are so screwed up, less and less corps, greedy 7 threatening mutiny, corps spend millions of dollars to put on 25 contest performances, (something like 80 - 100K per contest),............if the goal is to kill off the competition rather than beat them, it is working,............idiots,.........

• Like 2

Actually Gary, not surrogates. Saw a whole lot of support for it over on FB. Not just members, but corps directors.

• Like 1