2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

If you think Fred is resorting to "fear-mongering"... then it's obvious you don't know him very well, if at all.

Fred doesn't do fear-mongering. Not his style at all.

he's much more subtle than that.

in that horse's head under the blankets kind of way

:tongue:/>

Jeff, there are no stats, just hope. Hope for something that might work better in this day and age. I want to encourage others to express specific changes that might work. We gain nothing if our purpose for coming here is to beat each other over the head.

I'm all for hope. But for proposing a radical change like that, I think one needs more than hope. After all, we've been told for years amps, synths etc would draw more bodies in. At best, the new bodies mayhave replaced those that left, but I'm not banking on that

look fred is trying to help.

I figured that. I still do.

you want proof of what he say? cru, sky, sun, rebels, sundevils, and how about EMPIRE? that's your proof.

What about that? Cru is gone, yes. Skyliners too. Sunrisers are alive and improving, however. Rebels, as in Yankee Rebels? That is going back 30 years. Sun Devils are returning to the field next year. As for Empire, they are not dying, just leaving to do something different. So what does that prove?

I could name corps that have folded, or corps that have started up. I could point to the fact that DCA, unlike any other drum corps circuit on this continent, has grown over the past 20 years. Sure, there are issues. We have had a nasty economy for the past four years. On top of that, there is too much focus on the big event on Labor Day weekend, instead of developing a stronger foundation regionally. But from my vantage point, I do not see the all-age movement being on the verge of ruin. Is there more to this that I do not know about?

Quick thought without reading through 41 pages.

Does anyone know the cost for these arenas and how does it compare to the current venues?

Are the current DCA shows all in large expensive stadiums? I recall my time in DCA marching many high school and college fields. Not all were Kennedy and Roosevelt Stadiums.

Edited by gsksun4

Fred,

Cracks are becoming crevices. I'm not saying the idea doesn't have merit. I'm asking where is the stats that back up this is the way to go?

i geuss i don't see why you don't want to explore other avenues. jeff something has to be done. and i believe it needs to be a big radical change. maybe phased in or some time but man this as an outdoor activity is on the way out. unless you want to watch a really small corps in a stadium. make the field even smaller? i don't think so. and what about all the corps that will be giving up in the next few years? i haven't seen any suggestions from you. just arguments about not doing this or that. give us some ides. your a smart guy jeff. help us out.

I figured that. I still do.

What about that? Cru is gone, yes. Skyliners too. Sunrisers are alive and improving, however. Rebels, as in Yankee Rebels? That is going back 30 years. Sun Devils are returning to the field next year. As for Empire, they are not dying, just leaving to do something different. So what does that prove?

I could name corps that have folded, or corps that have started up. I could point to the fact that DCA, unlike any other drum corps circuit on this continent, has grown over the past 20 years. Sure, there are issues. We have had a nasty economy for the past four years. On top of that, there is too much focus on the big event on Labor Day weekend, instead of developing a stronger foundation regionally. But from my vantage point, I do not see the all-age movement being on the verge of ruin. Is there more to this that I do not know about?

ok here we go. in 1973 the hamburg kingsman folded. brigs had done it in 1970. then the rebels in what 78. sun devils say they are coming back. they said that last year. sun yes while around is not on sure footing and will never be a large corps again. hurcs are a smaller corps. empire for all intense and purposes are leaving. so DCA is contracting. you really have no ground to stand on. but that's fine. be an ostrich. then you can say........... " what happened"?

i geuss i don't see why you don't want to explore other avenues. jeff something has to be done. and i believe it needs to be a big radical change. maybe phased in or some time but man this as an outdoor activity is on the way out. unless you want to watch a really small corps in a stadium. make the field even smaller? i don't think so. and what about all the corps that will be giving up in the next few years? i haven't seen any suggestions from you. just arguments about not doing this or that. give us some ides. your a smart guy jeff. help us out.

Several years ago (2005) I suggested adding mini corps as an actual season long competitive category, just like Open and Class A,..............this would further extend the number of available units to fill out show line-ups, further legitimize it as a competitive category and not just an I&E event, and provide the true competitive springboard that is now currently missing for units with less than 35 members,............The same 50 x 70 boundaries could very simply be marked by cones, and removed when the bigger corps hit the field,........ I know that the gap between 21 and 35 currently exists, but that void could be filled with a visual program component (guard, etc.),............then for the corps that do not wish to compete with a mini corps at this level could continue with the current 21 member, I&E, once a year effort,.........

• Like 1

Rochester is poor decision and a poor venue. It was good to see DCA actually on a football field. Everything gets boring after years of repetition.

Amps = Thanks goodness. To all the "seasoned" fans - your bias and dated outlook will only kill a sad 11-13 open class corps circuit.

Can we please get some opinions from people under 35? Anymore stories about the 70's and the way it's used to be is worthless. Start a new thread called, "old stories only 3 people care about". The bottom line, you old die hards will be involved with drum corps as a fan one way or another. Like all of us, it's in your blood. I dread the day woodwinds will be incorporated, but I bet it happens to DCI within 5 years. I will still be watching a production on a football field with musical instruments and color guard. It'll just be a new way to tell the story. Let go. See the light, the idea that the powers that be are looking at a fan base and membership base that is getting too old to support DCA moving forward.

• Like 1

The Hurcs are smaller? Smaller than what? They have been a consistently larger and better corps than anything they put out 1991-2004.