2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

Rochester is poor decision and a poor venue. It was good to see DCA actually on a football field. Everything gets boring after years of repetition.

Amps = Thanks goodness. To all the "seasoned" fans - your bias and dated outlook will only kill a sad 11-13 open class corps circuit.

Can we please get some opinions from people under 35? Anymore stories about the 70's and the way it's used to be is worthless. Start a new thread called, "old stories only 3 people care about". The bottom line, you old die hards will be involved with drum corps as a fan one way or another. Like all of us, it's in your blood. I dread the day woodwinds will be incorporated, but I bet it happens to DCI within 5 years. I will still be watching a production on a football field with musical instruments and color guard. It'll just be a new way to tell the story. Let go. See the light, the idea that the powers that be are looking at a fan base and membership base that is getting too old to support DCA moving forward.

You need all groups to survive so thanks for trying to alienate.... As for always be involved I have two trains of thought. First is I did walk away from following corps for 10 years. And after the first summer I found other things to do and didn't miss it that much. Second thought.... well leave it go as possible flame bait and not my intent.

At least this 70s guy never called Open corps "sad".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You need all groups to survive so thanks for trying to alienate.... As for always be involved I have two trains of thought. First is I did walk away from following corps for 10 years. And after the first summer I found other things to do and didn't miss it that much. Second thought.... well leave it go as possible flame bait and not my intent.

At least this 70s guy never called Open corps "sad".

You are one of the people who post the most, using yourself as an example just supports my thought. What you did 10 years ago doesn't matter, look what you are doing presently.

The "sad" comment was referring to the number of open class corps competing, I should have been more clear. I would never like to discredit members and staffs working hard to perform.

Nice try to "call me out". I didn't alienate any class, I spoke about one class of competing corps, and frankly, the class that is supposed to generate the most revenue for DCA. If you were referring to the age comment, you are correct. I am alienating any old die hards who can't let go and are holding back progress to keep DCA fresh, alive and innovative.

Stop, think, swallow ego… then post. Note to the 8 old die hards on DCP that will be upset with my post.

• Like 1

You are one of the people who post the most, using yourself as an example just supports my thought. What you did 10 years ago doesn't matter, look what you are doing presently.

Missed my point, many people think that once you are hooked by DC you will never leave no matter what happens. Over the years many things besides DC changes, you pick what's important to you and move on. My point is: it isn't that hard to leave... And to follow your second sentence, who knows what the future will bring and it's the future that concerns me.

The "sad" comment was referring to the number of open class corps competing, I should have been more clear. I would never like to discredit members and staffs working hard to perform.

OK, agree....

Nice try to "call me out". I didn't alienate any class, I spoke about one class of competing corps, and frankly, the class that is supposed to generate the most revenue for DCA. If you were referring to the age comment, you are correct. I am alienating any old die hards who can't let go and are holding back progress to keep DCA fresh, alive and innovative.

I was talking about alienating by age and sounded like you were broad brushing all older fans. If you meant just the ones "holding back progress" (not sure how fans can do that) wish you would have said it earlier. As for "calling me out" if you post things that someone might disagree with, expect them to post disenting views.

Stop, think, swallow ego… then post. Note to the 8 old die hards on DCP that will be upset with my post.

So what ego problem do I have.... I do not slam others for their opinion or say <whatever> "ain't drum corps"..... If expressing a different opinion is "ego" well... welcome to real life.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Rochester is poor decision and a poor venue. It was good to see DCA actually on a football field. Everything gets boring after years of repetition.

Amps = Thanks goodness. To all the "seasoned" fans - your bias and dated outlook will only kill a sad 11-13 open class corps circuit.

Can we please get some opinions from people under 35? Anymore stories about the 70's and the way it's used to be is worthless. Start a new thread called, "old stories only 3 people care about". The bottom line, you old die hards will be involved with drum corps as a fan one way or another. Like all of us, it's in your blood. I dread the day woodwinds will be incorporated, but I bet it happens to DCI within 5 years. I will still be watching a production on a football field with musical instruments and color guard. It'll just be a new way to tell the story. Let go. See the light, the idea that the powers that be are looking at a fan base and membership base that is getting too old to support DCA moving forward.

Interesting how you count on "old die hards" to continue their support, while at the same time dismissing them as "too old to support DCA moving forward".

• Like 1

your attitude toward the older crowd is crass. and you no longer have credibility. what we did in the 70's and early 80's is not worthless. it worked. and your wrong about us being involved one way or another. many of us are just trying to help in trying to keep it alive. but if it goes away we really don't have a stake in the game anymore. we have many other things to do. our time has passed and that my friend is going to be your problem not ours.

• Like 1

ok here we go. in 1973 the hamburg kingsman folded. brigs had done it in 1970. then the rebels in what 78. sun devils say they are coming back. they said that last year. sun yes while around is not on sure footing and will never be a large corps again. hurcs are a smaller corps. empire for all intense and purposes are leaving. so DCA is contracting. you really have no ground to stand on. but that's fine. be an ostrich. then you can say........... " what happened"?

Calling me names and listing another long deceased corps or two is not going to answer my question. What makes you think that now, DCA is on the brink of extinction?

I imagine similar proclamations were made back in 1993, when 13 corps competed at DCA Championships. But DCA came up with some ideas. A few of them had to do with promoting the product DCA had, not trying to change it to something else. Ideas like class A, expanded alumni corps involvement and development of regions have grown interest and revenue. Sure, four years of bad economy have taken their toll, and yet we still see way more than 13 corps in DCA.

2013 will be my LAST EVER DCA CHAMPIONSHIPS

It is obvious that DCA and DCI are GOING TO MERGE! This was told to me years ago by a DCI corps manager and I did not believe him! I DO NOW!

Amplification is for me the last straw!

I would also suggest that DCA save thier money and NOT do an Alumni spectacular as those of us who enjoy it will not be in attendance at finals weekend!

• Like 1

Calling me names and listing another long deceased corps or two is not going to answer my question. What makes you think that now, DCA is on the brink of extinction?

I imagine similar proclamations were made back in 1993, when 13 corps competed at DCA Championships. But DCA came up with some ideas. A few of them had to do with promoting the product DCA had, not trying to change it to something else. Ideas like class A, expanded alumni corps involvement and development of regions have grown interest and revenue. Sure, four years of bad economy have taken their toll, and yet we still see way more than 13 corps in DCA.

my communication with you has ended. i will respond to others on this thread but not you. you have dissed everyone that disagrees with you and the older generation. have a good life brother.

My 2 cents worth of why DCA does not get the attendance of DCI. Because, after all that what this is all about.

Most attendees of DCI events are:

1)People who marched DCI and still follow "their corps".

2}Parents of the corps members.

DCA, for the most part has neither.

So, DCA can "follow" DCI with every change.

OR

DCA can go in a different direction and LEAD.

If your fan base is smaller, why FOLLOW in an attempt to gain favor with DCI fans?

Lead with changes that will ATTRACT fans back to senior, {yes I said it!} corps.

Start small, like returning to pure formations on the field, or dare I say it?

OFF THE LINE!

Just my opinion!

And the same way you talk about leaving, so would many of us who are still there if they were to go to that format......