2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

I'm not familiar enough with the debate on the location of the brass judge to comment, but I'm relieved to hear that the perc judge is staying on the field. Putting that judge in the box would be a terrible idea... If you want a perc judge up top, have one there and one on the field. Amplification could even be on that judge's sheet.

in my day we used all the small instruments you talk about. and they could be heard. could it be they were used correctly in the drum corps environment? i think you all are trying to be an orchestra on the field in my opinion that is not what drum corps was all about. for over 30 years it has been basterdised into something else. so let me get this right you incorrectly used all the percussion in the pit so to solve it you want to use amps? well good luck with your activity. it aint what i or a lot of people want. in 7-8 years if you survive you will be doing a symphony on the field and it will be a cheap knock off at that. just my old timers opinion my friend.

The "symphony" will be played to a "crowd" of about 40 at the 4 shows left per summer. But it will be "art" so who cares?

• Like 3

No. A thousand times, no. Putting the brass judge back in the box is the single best decision made by DCA in years. Period.

Nothing else comes even close.

i think you misunderstand tom. he want's them all upstairs. but i don't. but who cares cause i'm done. and so are many, many others. enjoy what's left of YOUR activity.

• Like 1

The "symphony" will be played to a "crowd" of about 40 at the 4 shows left per summer. But it will be "art" so who cares?

agreed!!!

• Like 1

Brass judge upstairs is good, but I still wish there was a field visual judge.

• Like 1

i think you misunderstand tom. he want's them all upstairs. but i don't. but who cares cause i'm done. and so are many, many others. enjoy what's left of YOUR activity.

Correct... let me clarify... I could live with the visual and brass guys working from the "edge" (front, back or sides) but I see no benefit so agree with them being removed to a focal point... However, the SHOW put on by the percussion judge in both DCI and DCA is a joke... anyone who believes that this man can save his own life and still properly evaluate and assist in growth of the line - not to mention proper sampling... well it is NOT possible...

anyone who believes I'm wrong - fine... we agree to disagree...

Correct... let me clarify... I could live with the visual and brass guys working from the "edge" (front, back or sides) but I see no benefit so agree with them being removed to a focal point... However, the SHOW put on by the percussion judge in both DCI and DCA is a joke... anyone who believes that this man can save his own life and still properly evaluate and assist in growth of the line - not to mention proper sampling... well it is NOT possible...

anyone who believes I'm wrong - fine... we agree to disagree...

I'm certainly no expert, and I haven't been around long, but I've never heard a DCI or DCA drum tape where the field environment actually kept a judge from doing his job (and I'm a nerd about that sort of thing). The most serious concern is when drill delays a judge in transitioning from battery to pit, or vice versa, and there's a brief moment of dead time where the judge can't evaluate anything but compositional/idiomatic elements. I just don't think that's enough to move them upstairs. I don't think I know a drum staff who wouldn't want a judge on top of their battery for half the show, because I don't think a judge could "properly evaluate" a drumline from the box when you start having to rank the top percussion sections in DCA. At a certain point in the season, the top several are all clean, and the difference is in the details. This is certainly no intended disrespect to you and your decades of experience, Mr. Peashey. I'm just giving my perspective as a percussionist, a high school percussion instructor/arranger, a fan of drum corps for six short years, a member for two even shorter seasons, and a man who hopes to become even more involved in the activity I love. I would even support adding a percussion judge to the box, especially when amplification comes into play for 2014, but I simply feel we would be giving too much away if we removed the field judge.

• Like 2

I'm certainly no expert, and I haven't been around long, but I've never heard a DCI or DCA drum tape where the field environment actually kept a judge from doing his job (and I'm a nerd about that sort of thing). The most serious concern is when drill delays a judge in transitioning from battery to pit, or vice versa, and there's a brief moment of dead time where the judge can't evaluate anything but compositional/idiomatic elements. I just don't think that's enough to move them upstairs. I don't think I know a drum staff who wouldn't want a judge on top of their battery for half the show, because I don't think a judge could "properly evaluate" a drumline from the box when you start having to rank the top percussion sections in DCA. At a certain point in the season, the top several are all clean, and the difference is in the details. This is certainly no intended disrespect to you and your decades of experience, Mr. Peashey. I'm just giving my perspective as a percussionist, a high school percussion instructor/arranger, a fan of drum corps for six short years, a member for two even shorter seasons, and a man who hopes to become even more involved in the activity I love. I would even support adding a percussion judge to the box, especially when amplification comes into play for 2014, but I simply feel we would be giving too much away if we removed the field judge.

No disrespect taken... percussion dudes who I very much respect have been telling me the same thing for years... so we can just as I said earlier, agree to disagree...

Please say hello to your fearless percussion head for me - you got one of the good guys there in Mr. Romanowski... for sure...

• Like 1