2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

No disrespect taken... percussion dudes who I very much respect have been telling me the same thing for years... so we can just as I said earlier, agree to disagree...

Please say hello to your fearless percussion head for me - you got one of the good guys there in Mr. Romanowski... for sure...

thumbup.gifThat we did. I'll be sure to pass the words along. His DCI/DCA judging perspective makes him unlike anyone else I've played for, and he writes some slammin' beats, too.

No disrespect taken... percussion dudes who I very much respect have been telling me the same thing for years... so we can just as I said earlier, agree to disagree...

Please say hello to your fearless percussion head for me - you got one of the good guys there in Mr. Romanowski... for sure...

tom i'm sorry but drumlines sound a lot different on the field then they do upstairs.you know brass not drums. and who ever is telling you this is cracked. and if they are from bands then they really have no clue. tom take this from a pro of many, many years. you need the judge on the field.

I'm certainly no expert, and I haven't been around long, but I've never heard a DCI or DCA drum tape where the field environment actually kept a judge from doing his job (and I'm a nerd about that sort of thing). The most serious concern is when drill delays a judge in transitioning from battery to pit, or vice versa, and there's a brief moment of dead time where the judge can't evaluate anything but compositional/idiomatic elements. I just don't think that's enough to move them upstairs. I don't think I know a drum staff who wouldn't want a judge on top of their battery for half the show, because I don't think a judge could "properly evaluate" a drumline from the box when you start having to rank the top percussion sections in DCA. At a certain point in the season, the top several are all clean, and the difference is in the details. This is certainly no intended disrespect to you and your decades of experience, Mr. Peashey. I'm just giving my perspective as a percussionist, a high school percussion instructor/arranger, a fan of drum corps for six short years, a member for two even shorter seasons, and a man who hopes to become even more involved in the activity I love. I would even support adding a percussion judge to the box, especially when amplification comes into play for 2014, but I simply feel we would be giving too much away if we removed the field judge.

Thank you Tyler. While I do not agree with all the pit stuff nor amplification, you bring out the meat of my opinion.

See my post on page 44.

Ray

• Like 1

Thank you Tyler. While I do not agree with all the pit stuff nor amplification, you bring out the meat of my opinion.

See my post on page 44.

Ray

i agree ray. but then they say we're dino's.

• Like 1

:thumbdown:

It gets frustrating to hear how people want the circuit to die because of changes or just tell us how wrong those of us that still enjoy it are. And then you get annoyed because we say your time has passed.

How about we call a simple truce? If you don't like it stop telling us how much better it used to be. And that way no one will come back around to insult you? Because the street goes both ways folks. There have been a whole lot of insulting things coming from both sides.....

:thumbdown:

• Like 3

:thumbdown:/>

It gets frustrating to hear how people want the circuit to die because of changes or just tell us how wrong those of us that still enjoy it are. And then you get annoyed because we say your time has passed.

How about we call a simple truce? If you don't like it stop telling us how much better it used to be. And that way no one will come back around to insult you? Because the street goes both ways folks. There have been a whole lot of insulting things coming from both sides.....

:thumbdown:/>

so,............wait,.............we should have a truce so long as things keep trending the way they are,......................right?

• Like 3

thumbdown.gif

thumbdown.gif

liz i said my time has passed. it's no insult. but if you can't see the trend that crowds are smaller and so are the corps. well............that's denial. si i said it be fore and i'll say it again. it's no longer my activity. it's yours. so you can do with it as you want. we did in my day. now it's your turn. i will follow olong but not with near as much interest. more of a passing fancy. i mean what's the sense? you want to turn it into something it wasn't intened to be but that's your choice. it was never supposed to be marching band . it was different. now not so much. so i say good luck with that. be a band. then an orchestra. you can play braums. and when there is 2 shows a year and 5 corps you can say look at how good we're doing. just sayin............the hand writing is already on the wall. and i really don't want to hear all the arguments.

• Like 5

I've always been a brass and percussion fan. Although I marched color guard, those guards weren't anything like today's guards. I have little interest in the pit and do believe they have become overbearing. Now that it's come to running wires on a football field, to artificially enhance human performance in a manner not really needed, understanding woodwinds are not far behind, my interest has become simply light curiosity.

I rarely attend, but will ALWAYS be interested in how things play out as we go along. DCP and pay-per-view will provide enough satisfaction of my curiosity. But, I'm just one fan, there could be three new fans to take my place in the grandstand. That's a good thing!

No more arguing for me. I'll defend what was, but I'm open to whatever will be. I'll even sample it. Yet, this "fish" is off the hook . . . . for now.

Happy New Year!

• Like 2

Honestly forget what I said earlier. This place has become RAMD. And that's sad. The negativity far outweighs the positive.

• Like 2

so,............wait,.............we should have a truce so long as things keep trending the way they are,......................right?

No Gary, it was about having a legitimate discussion regarding the DCA Rules Congress without insults and snarky responses. But you missed that part obviously. So I will give you a snarky response back. The Rules Congress passed these new rules which will take effect in 2014, so yes this conversation IS about the way things are trending currently within the organization. You want to have a conversation about how much you think it sucks, start your own thread.

• Like 2