2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

But it was Don who made it sound like the alumni corps don't care about whether they survive or not because they are happy with what it is they are doing. I don't think that is the case. I actually think John had very valid points.

liz i think you misunderstand what i said. but so be it. those corps were " originally" formed to keep alive the past of the movement. to be separate from competitive corps. now what has happened since in each individual corps may be different. i guess that's what i was saying. but it really dosen't matter. the alumni will go away. and yes that is sad. and they do care if they survive but they know the reality.

And the alumni are still separate from competitive corps. What is one person's past may be only 25 years ago and to someone else it may be 50 years ago. Who is to say who is right and if anyone is wrong?

If someone wasn't born in 1989, my favorite DCi year is to them very old. And yet would probably come across as very enjoyable in an alumni format to that person. 1975? Probably not so much because things were very different then.

It isn't a knock. And honestly if alumni corps are going to keep going, that is the generation they need to be aiming for.

• Like 1

And the alumni are still separate from competitive corps. What is one person's past may be only 25 years ago and to someone else it may be 50 years ago. Who is to say who is right and if anyone is wrong?

If someone wasn't born in 1989, my favorite DCi year is to them very old. And yet would probably come across as very enjoyable in an alumni format to that person. 1975? Probably not so much because things were very different then.

It isn't a knock. And honestly if alumni corps are going to keep going, that is the generation they need to be aiming for.

I agree that Alumni corps need to freshen things up a bit but thats also difficult if there is still a competing corps going. More current music may still be under consideration by the competing corps, and one thing you never want to do as an alumni corps is have both corps playing the same music or a year apart. Just wouldn't be right.

Yep, this is true. Alumni corps will be the first to die out, and rightly so, simply because they refuse to change and cater to a younger membership (never mind audience). They've been playing to nothing but themselves for some time, and it's only going to get worse.

The young people who *might* be interested in joining an alumni corps are turned off because they don't want to trot out "It's a Grand Old Flag" and "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" for the nine thousandth time, and the powers that be won't cater to their needs.

There is one exception that proves the rule...the Reading Buccaneers Alumni. They have been playing a nice mix of recent "hits" with the older stuff. And, surprise...they have some younger members as a result.

John, I'm going to disagree with you here. I think everyone who is marching secretly wants to march Cabs Alumni. I know I do!

I do agree with you on the Bucs Alumni. They really have gotten pretty good within the last several years and the mix of old and new is really fun to hear. Another corps that I will add to my list of places I want to be in some day. I really loved their 2011 program.

Edited by Kyle B

And I'm stuck right in the middle at 55 and saying the same thing for the last couple of years. No idea what the answer is but can usually only go to DCA and sit in the higer price seats. From there I see a lot of grey and no hair. From the average age I see walking around during Prelims/Finals makes me wonder if it was anything like this in the 70s. To be blunt, almost all of the under 30 crowd are usually corps members. Just scarey that the apparent average age of corps are going down but average audience age is going up. Don't really think electronics/no electronics will make that big of a difference in getting new people to attend as think costs and other issues are hitting more. But I'll go untill I'm not entertained anymore. Or until physical difficulties get too bad which a lot of people at DCA can say.

And as for the Alumni type standstills and audience..... Did see some younger people at the last show I attended but no idea if family members or who they were. But saddest line I ever heard was "Did you get the idea we're playing for each other?" IOW - corps members playing to other corps members. So it's not like going "old scholl" brings in new audience either. And average age of some of the Alumni type members is another issue that IMO will change things in another 10-15 years in that world.

you're not in the middle....you're toward the younger side Jim.

Yep, this is true. Alumni corps will be the first to die out, and rightly so, simply because they refuse to change and cater to a younger membership (never mind audience). They've been playing to nothing but themselves for some time, and it's only going to get worse.

The young people who *might* be interested in joining an alumni corps are turned off because they don't want to trot out "It's a Grand Old Flag" and "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" for the nine thousandth time, and the powers that be won't cater to their needs.

There is one exception that proves the rule...the Reading Buccaneers Alumni. They have been playing a nice mix of recent "hits" with the older stuff. And, surprise...they have some younger members as a result.

I like to think Westshore has something for all eras, as to be honest, until 1982, the corps wasn't really good, so most stuff is 80s and 90s based

Reilly is making a push to get younger members. Bridgemen have formed a relationship with Jersey Surf. Cabs Alumni made a nice move last year having "The Prayer" which helped win them DCA's in 2003 as part of their show.

Sorry Don, but there are alumni out there who are playing for the fans and not just themselves.

Westshore has been getting younger too, but then again, we're generally younger than most alumni corps.

and you can't beat the schedule

• Like 1

Unfortunately, if there is some remnent of corps still alive in the near future, it likely won't be what we now see as alumni corps, nor all-age field corps.

The field competition model is just not sustainable. Rising costs and declining fan base have exposed the lop-sided business model of the All-age activity; which depends too heavily on fundraising, volunteer labor and member fees (as well as huge costs absorbed by members). If the activity had to survive only on what the public was willing to pay for the product, it would have died long ago. As corps exit the stage, the model will begin to break down even faster, as recent events in New York have shown.

In addituion to that, when you take a look at the total $$ spent each year (and add in the volunteer man-hours to produce the product), and then apply it to performance time acheived and the number of participants served, it's a pretty incredible expence to have this activity. The activity hangs on only due to the determination, hard work and a whole lot of sacrifice, by a relatively small number of participants, who come back year after year. I give them their props, whole-heartedly. But, they won't long be able to fight back the incredible challenges of economics which are working against this model.

DCI will survive by melding in with the marching band activity; benefiting from their larger base and built-in parent following; eventually becoming , simply, summer band. Not saying I like it; just think that's the way it is.

If there is to be a remnent of drum corps; I think there are two likely types that will survive. A smaller alumni-style group doing parades and passing on the tradition of drums and bugles , much like the fife and drum corps we have today. Each generation bringing in enough of their own children and grandchildren to maintain a local corps that keeps the tradition alive. As long as there are parades to perform in, this type of group could be sustained, without a lot of cost, nor unreasonable effort.

I think that there will also be a more progressive, flexible and local type of group that keeps some type of brass and percussion performance activity alive (if not strictly drums and bugles). But that group must find a performance style and business model sustainable in future markets.

Edited by princessL
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, if there is some remnent of corps still alive in the near future, it likely won't be what we now see as alumni corps, nor all-age field corps.

The field competition model is just not sustainable. Rising costs and declining fan base have exposed the lop-sided business model of the All-age activity; which depends too heavily on fundraising, volunteer labor and member fees (as well as huge costs absorbed by members). If the activity had to survive only on what the public was willing to pay for the product, it would have died long ago. As corps exit the stage, the model will begin to break down even faster, as recent events in New York have shown.

In addituion to that, when you take a look at the total $ spent each year (and add in the volunteer man-hours to produce the product), and then apply it to performance time acheived and the number of participants served, it's a pretty incredible expence to have this activity. The activity hangs on only due to the determination, hard work and a whole lot of sacrifice, by a relatively small number of participants, who come back year after year. I give them their props, whole-heartedly. But, they won't long be able to fight back the incredible challenges of economics which are working against this model.

DCI will survive by melding in with the marching band activity; benefiting from their larger base and built-in parent following; eventually becoming , simply, summer band. Not saying I like it; just think that's the way it is.

If there is to be a remnent of drum corps; I think there are two likely types that will survive. A smaller alumni-style group doing parades and passing on the tradition of drums and bugles , much like the fife and drum corps we have today. Each generation bringing in enough of their own children and grandchildren to maintain a local corps that keeps the tradition alive. As long as there are parades to perform in, this type of group could be sustained, without a lot of cost, nor unreasonable effort.

I think that there will also be a more progressive, flexible and local type of group that keeps some type of brass and percussion performance activity alive (if not strictly drums and bugles). But that group must find a performance style and business model sustainable in future markets.

i don't know who you are but you have given the most intellectual vision of what is to come. i agree 100% of everything you said. the reasons why and what it will mean and evolve into. understand now you are going to get a lot of blow back from this but hang strong because you are right. the seeds have been planted. it's a sad prophesy but me thinks you are spot on!

• Like 1

i don't know who you are but you have given the most intellectual vision of what is to come. i agree 100% of everything you said. the reasons why and what it will mean and evolve into. understand now you are going to get a lot of blow back from this but hang strong because you are right. the seeds have been planted. it's a sad prophesy but me thinks you are spot on!

Ditto what Don said.... I especially agree with your thoughts on sustaining field competition. Costs just getting worse in money and time to do corps, including the time needed to travel as members are living farther and farther from their corps.

• Like 1