High Mark Time

Blue Devils actually still use it during camps/all-days, as well as during circle drill exercise in visual block. Seeing as how it's used whenever Todd Ryan is around, it's use during circle drill (which I believe he invented??) definitely makes sense.

• Like 2

I miss high mark time!

So do I. My knees, however..... :sad:

Edited by Jocko the Wonder Llama

Two of my favorites:

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard. At the end of the opener, the hornline is in four parallel lines and does a high step/mark time to split it into 8 lines. Excellent visual resolution at the end of one of the all-time great openers.

1988 Madison Scouts. During the closer, Malaguena, the corps forms two triangles, does a 360 degree spin forming one large triangle and does a high mark time. Subsquently, babies are thrown.

• Like 3

I loved when Bridgemen would do the sideways push using a moving high mark time. always cool looking

Also loved when the SCV bassline would do a high mark time during the show with their basses on. always looked very impressive and intimidating

1988 Madison Scouts. During the closer, "Malaguena", the corps forms two triangles, does a 360-degree spin forming one large triangle, and does a high mark time. Subsequently, babies are thrown.

Didn't they repeat this move at the end of the 1989 show? (Which until 2007, I think, was the highest-scoring 7th place show ever.)

What's your most memorable moments of a corps using this lost art form?

Somebody beat me to it - check out Madison - 1975. For that matter, any of the corps on the Fan Network of the 70's. As a drummer, I always felt a little left out on the marching side of things... darn slings!!!

No matter how high the mark time was of yesteryear, nothing compares to the athletes on the field of today. I would have been gased by the end of the opener!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

I miss high mark time!

Go watch Santa Clara do visual warm-up at a show sometime? I know this means missing the small corps, which is a shame, but if you want to see someone still do high-mark time, they do it before every show.

Somebody beat me to it - check out Madison - 1975. For that matter, any of the corps on the Fan Network of the 70's. As a drummer, I always felt a little left out on the marching side of things... darn slings!!!

1975 Scouts... the French horn line doing high mark time during their feature in Rhapsody in Blue. :thumbup:

Former drum corps Frenchie player here... it was hard enough to play those horns standing still, yet alone at high mark time, especially during softer passages like the one in Rhapsody. Awesome.

• Like 1