DCI (finally) on iTunes!

DCI announced recently that they have a Holiday 'collection' up on iTunes for purchase: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=36f22f16-2547-481b-9920-8deb8db46b57

Performances from 'Silver Bells', which I think is taken directly from corps' Finals performances:

Auld Lang Syne (1973 Kilties)

Ave Maria (2006 Phantom Regiment)

Carol of the Bells (2003 Carolina Crown)

Die Natale (1991 Cavaliers)

Greensleeves (1980 Guardsmen)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (1996 Bluecoats)

Nutcracker Suite excerpt (1987 Phantom Regiment)

Russian Christmas Music (1987 Santa Clara Vanguard)

Te Deum (1991 Cavaliers)

Winter (1993 Colts)

Performances from 'Ornaments in Brass' that were special arrangements & recordings made 'off the field' specially for that album (I think it was done in 93):

Angels We Have Heard on High (Velvet Knights)

Canzona per Sonare No. 2 (Freelancers)

God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen (Glassmen)

The Christmas Song (Carolina Crown)

Poinsettia Carol (Troopers)

Amazing Grace (Phantom Regiment)

Carol of the Bells (Northern Aurora)

Procession of Bacchus (Madison Scouts)

I Wonder as I Wander (Boston Crusaders)

Christmas Collage (Bluecoats)

From Quincy Jones’ A Soulful Messiah (Spirit of Georgia)

From the Many Moods of Christmas (Southwind)

Nevorissk Chimes (Phantom Regiment)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Sky Ryders)

Is this the first time DCI themselves have released music for purchase on iTunes? Might this be a hint of what is to come in the future (putting music or maybe videos on a more mainstream site instead of keeping audio & video on Fan Network only)? Kind of cool! I used to own Ornaments in Brass, but I don't know what happened to it over the years. I've never re-bought it off of Fan Network when it's been up previously, but I might buy it off of iTunes now: for some reason I feel better downloading/buying music from iTunes vs other proprietary formats on Fan Network, Amazon, etc.

** EDIT **

Just saw that DCI has another 'album' on iTunes: ECHOS: ARTISTRY IN PERCUSSION which was apparently put on iTunes in October of 2012. If there's a Vol. 7, are there are collections? They aren't on iTunes if there are.

Anyway, kudos to DCI for jumping onto iTunes this year! :thumbup:

Edited by perc2100

I do hope this is a hint of the future for DCI. I would much prefer to buy from iTunes - saves me a step in the process.

If you don't own Ornaments in Brass, you owe it to yourself to get it. It's a classic for a reason, and bundled with another album it's an even better deal. (Looking in the Internet time machine, here's my review of the CD (and copy of liner notes) back from 2001 - pre DCP! - https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.arts.marching.drumcorps/GaAS4l6NZHc )

Mike

It's a careful foray. I'll give you the three things that are involved with this decision and how it will (or won't) expand.

#1 - Music rights, as ever. Notice the current ones aren't heavily burdened.

#2 - Price - you can't change individual tracks beyond $1.29. However, even if...

#3 - Individual tracks over 10 minutes have to be "Album Only", no exceptions.

There are options, of course. The current store works, but not to satisfaction. There are other outlets, too, but iTunes is the 800lb'er. We'll see how it shakes out, but for all those that have said we "don't want to be on it", it's more of a logistical issue than anything else. We're hopeful.

• Like 1

Which just goes to prove that x-mas is all about the $$$$$$$

Did you plagiarize this narration from the 2012 Cadets show ? ( haha)

DCI announced recently that they have a Holiday 'collection' up on iTunes for purchase: http://www.dci.org/n...20-8deb8db46b57

Performances from 'Silver Bells', which I think is taken directly from corps' Finals performances:

Performances from 'Ornaments in Brass' that were special arrangements & recordings made 'off the field' specially for that album (I think it was done in 93):

Is this the first time DCI themselves have released music for purchase on iTunes? Might this be a hint of what is to come in the future (putting music or maybe videos on a more mainstream site instead of keeping audio & video on Fan Network only)? Kind of cool! I used to own Ornaments in Brass, but I don't know what happened to it over the years. I've never re-bought it off of Fan Network when it's been up previously, but I might buy it off of iTunes now: for some reason I feel better downloading/buying music from iTunes vs other proprietary formats on Fan Network, Amazon, etc.

** EDIT **

Just saw that DCI has another 'album' on iTunes: ECHOS: ARTISTRY IN PERCUSSION which was apparently put on iTunes in October of 2012. If there's a Vol. 7, are there are collections? They aren't on iTunes if there are.

Anyway, kudos to DCI for jumping onto iTunes this year! thumbup.gif

I extremely dislike iTunes... Great that DCI is going there, but I'm NOT! tongue.gif

• Like 1

As it relates to audio purchases, what don't you like? I'm curious. I know how bloated the whole thing is otherwise, but your thoughts on audio would be appreciated.

There are several considerations. While I do appreciate Apple, I will not be tethered solely to Apple products. Yes, I have an (old) iPhone, but I also have newer Android phone. I want media portability that iTunes does not afford. The format Apple chooses to make available for purchases is not suitable for all devices.

iTunes is bloated. I do not care for the audio encoding formats and bit rates that have natively been used in iTunes. Since you are asking only about audio, I would prefer to use .mp3 files that I can move between all devices of my choosing. Basically, I do not want to play only in their walled garden. I have heard files that Apple thinks are totally fine, but they sound like C-R-A-P, crap... I know they've changed recently with the new iTunes, but they lost me a while ago and I am not interested in going back to them no matter how popular they are....

It seems to me that there are many MANY people like me too. The Samsung S3 is doing some brisk business. Anyway, gotta work!