Empire Statesmen 2013 Show Announcement

trmdrum

Since you know the real reason, perhaps you'd like to share?

Corps making significant announcements in the vaguest way possible is exhausting and stupid. If one of the most crowd pleasing and successful organizations in DCA has suddenly decided, "We don't want to play in this playground anymore", I think that merits a reasoning by the group and a discussion by the public. DCA as a whole is affected by this and it would be selfish to think otherwise.

I agree with this in many ways,...........especially since Vince Bruni was one of, if not the catalyst that started DCA, and If I recall correctly, he was the very first president,...........

In the case of the Thunderbirds RCA and DCA years, there were several instances where the current leadership had exhuasted themselves to the point where they decided, because they didn't want to do it anymore, the corps should fold,.........well, cooler heads prevailed and the corps changed leadership and continued to compete. More often than not, corps leadership(s) seem to lose sight of the fact that the organizations operate in the public trust, and is not just a small of group of individuals' play toy,............if you don't want to do it anymore, step aside, and let others have the same opportunity to run a drum corps,......

Corps making significant announcements in the vaguest way possible is exhausting and stupid. If one of the most crowd pleasing and successful organizations in DCA has suddenly decided, "We don't want to play in this playground anymore", I think that merits a reasoning by the group and a discussion by the public. DCA as a whole is affected by this and it would be selfish to think otherwise.

/sarcasm on

I think it's obvious that they're going to DCE, but they aren't among the 16 corps listed as going so it's probably moot anyways.

/sarcasm off

• Like 2

100% agree.

I agree with this in many ways,...........especially since Vince Bruni was one of, if not the catalyst that started DCA, and If I recall correctly, he was the very first president,...........

In the case of the Thunderbirds RCA and DCA years, there were several instances where the current leadership had exhuasted themselves to the point where they decided, because they didn't want to do it anymore, the corps should fold,.........well, cooler heads prevailed and the corps changed leadership and continued to compete. More often than not, corps leadership(s) seem to lose sight of the fact that the organizations operate in the public trust, and is not just a small of group of individuals' play toy,............if you don't want to do it anymore, step aside, and let others have the same opportunity to run a drum corps,......

gary just for historical accuracy. cru joined DCA in 1966. he became prez that year. DCA started in 1964 and lefty meyer was the 1st prez. vince came to be prez because of his vision and his ability to GROW DCA . the years he was prez were the best DCA ever had. in 1978 he left the prez to george bull. the rest is history.

gary just for historical accuracy. cru joined DCA in 1966. he became prez that year. DCA started in 1964 and lefty meyer was the 1st prez. vince came to be prez because of his vision and his ability to GROW DCA . the years he was prez were the best DCA ever had. in 1978 he left the prez to george bull. the rest is history.

Don, I think the changeover was before that, because Mickey Petrone was already DCA president when I joined Sunrisers for the 1977 season.

But your point is well-taken. Vince was one of the all-time greatest people in the drum corps activity.

• Like 2

Don, I think the changeover was before that, because Mickey Petrone was already DCA president when I joined Sunrisers for the 1977 season.

But your point is well-taken. Vince was one of the all-time greatest people in the drum corps activity.

ooops! there goes my memory again and yes your right. 1976 was vince's last year.

Think Vince left after the 75 season and Mickey Petrone took it from there.

George Bull was from Yankee Rebels and was vice pres. to Lefty, first pres. when they had the first official DCA meeting in Upper Darby, Pa., September of 1963. The whole idea came about the winter between 62 and 63.

Wasn't there a Doc Sebastionelli or someone close to that name involved also?

Ah, OK. Doc was there at the beginning and it was his proposal to hold discussions in 1963 that got everyone together. That from the WDCHOF.

Edited by gsksun4

Honestly, saying that while Mr. Bruni was DCA President were DCA's best years, it really is a slap in the face to anyone who marched any year past that time. And it's not like we're talking oh the last 10 years have sucked. Depending on what year he actually left, you're looking at almost 35 years of sucking.......

• Like 1

Honestly, saying that while Mr. Bruni was DCA President were DCA's best years, it really is a slap in the face to anyone who marched any year past that time. And it's not like we're talking oh the last 10 years have sucked. Depending on what year he actually left, you're looking at almost 35 years of sucking.......

liz all i can tell you was we would get 18,000- 20,000 people in the stands back then . what do you get now? tell me the numbers and that tells the story. and the dream would get 22,000. a lot of shows would have 10,000-12,000. that's what i'm talking about. now tell me crowd size over the last 30 years. please, i'm waiting. and i'm not taking a swipe at anybody. these are cold hard facts. now give me some numbers.