Empire Statesmen 2013 Show Announcement

trmdrum

But those numbers do not remotely take into account at how much the world has changed in the last 35 years either. People are no longer left with only limited options for entertainment. They can watch recent movies at home and have a choice of hundreds more on any given night. There are video games with a few hundred options instead of the same 5 board games anymore.

You can't look at it and say it was all going on because Vince Bruni was there.

• Like 3

liz all i can tell you was we would get 18,000- 20,000 people in the stands back then . what do you get now? tell me the numbers and that tells the story. and the dream would get 22,000. a lot of shows would have 10,000-12,000. that's what i'm talking about. now tell me crowd size over the last 30 years. please, i'm waiting. and i'm not taking a swipe at anybody. these are cold hard facts. now give me some numbers.

I can honestly tell you this,...........RCA championships (DCA's little brother) would attract more fans to championships here in Erie back in the early to mid 70's, than DCA gets at finals today,..........

• Like 1

Since you know the real reason, perhaps you'd like to share?

Corps making significant announcements in the vaguest way possible is exhausting and stupid. If one of the most crowd pleasing and successful organizations in DCA has suddenly decided, "We don't want to play in this playground anymore", I think that merits a reasoning by the group and a discussion by the public. DCA as a whole is affected by this and it would be selfish to think otherwise.

hey at least they announced their show with more than a picture

/sarcasm on

I think it's obvious that they're going to DCE, but they aren't among the 16 corps listed as going so it's probably moot anyways.

/sarcasm off

:spitting:

• Like 1

Since you know the real reason, perhaps you'd like to share?

Corps making significant announcements in the vaguest way possible is exhausting and stupid. If one of the most crowd pleasing and successful organizations in DCA has suddenly decided, "We don't want to play in this playground anymore", I think that merits a reasoning by the group and a discussion by the public. DCA as a whole is affected by this and it would be selfish to think otherwise.

I'd love to, but it's not my place. It's no big scandal and the specfics will come out in time. Someone felt this was the right thing to do. Some will agree, some won't. Persoanlly, I hope this doesn't mean an end to drum corps in Rochester. Hopefully something can fill the void when the Statesmen leave. Tough act to follow though.

• Like 1

I'd love to, but it's not my place. It's no big scandal and the specfics will come out in time. Someone felt this was the right thing to do. Some will agree, some won't. Persoanlly, I hope this doesn't mean an end to drum corps in Rochester. Hopefully something can fill the void when the Statesmen leave. Tough act to follow though.

luckily there is a corps right down 390 that can add bodies in

Just seems odd that with finals back in Rochester in 2014, they would still decide to stop. I get its only 2 shows and the rest are father away but still.

If its travel issues, they really should talk to MBI. If they can make 2 BIG trips every season, you would think Empire could figure out how to make 2-3 mild ones. If thats the reason.

My guess is, there are two concerns at work in this decision. Yes, finances are one concern. More importantly, an even bigger need. The need to preserve and expand the Empire Statesmen core mission. That is, to entertain audiences however and whenever possible. By casting off the "arms race" expense of required weekly competition, the rigidity of doing just what can win on the field, plus keeping more local, the group can satisfy it's mission further into the future.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 4

Just seems odd that with finals back in Rochester in 2014, they would still decide to stop. I get its only 2 shows and the rest are father away but still.

The two have nothing to do with each other. The decision was made well before DCA announced it was coming back to Rochester.

• Like 1

The two have nothing to do with each other. The decision was made well before DCA announced it was coming back to Rochester.

true. it's been the worst kept secret in drum corps since August