Growth of pits over the years

BTW, I will have to say the premise of this thread bothers me. Mainly for the reasons more eloquently rebutted by other percussionists in this thread. Why are brass players considered more important musicians than the front ensemble percussionists? That's exclusionary, and offensive to me. I will say that there has to be an equilibrium of the size of the front ensemble somewhere. I see groups with 4,5,6 marimbas and maybe 4-6 vibes too. At BOA, I saw one group with 8 marimbas! The "golden ratio" of how many of each instrument to field has changed over the years, whether that be ratios o the brass sections, or battery percussion, or now the discussion of the front ensemble. Just one more thing to discuss, I guess.

Well as OP never considered the pit to be less important. And as bad as my piano lessons and music theory classes (IOW chord structure) went :shutup: I can respect the talent......

Stating it as a "golden ratio" that changed to be discussed puts it in a sound bite very well. :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Different brands have different ranges. There are F-C, F-F, and C-C xylos. And I have a set of marching bells that are A-A, while the generic concert bells are G-C or F-C (although now there are extended range glocks available...)

BTW, I will have to say the premise of this thread bothers me. Mainly for the reasons more eloquently rebutted by other percussionists in this thread. Why are brass players considered more important musicians than the front ensemble percussionists? That's exclusionary, and offensive to me. I will say that there has to be an equilibrium of the size of the front ensemble somewhere. I see groups with 4,5,6 marimbas and maybe 4-6 vibes too. At BOA, I saw one group with 8 marimbas! The "golden ratio" of how many of each instrument to field has changed over the years, whether that be ratios o the brass sections, or battery percussion, or now the discussion of the front ensemble. Just one more thing to discuss, I guess.

well, you know...if it's not all about snares and leads, it's worthless

:tongue:/>

I honestly didn't think you meant to offend at all, Jim. I think it's an important topic for discussion. I do, however, know people that look negatively on sections other than their own (brass, percussion, whatever) and that always burns me up. It might make an interesting research project for some graduate student to analyze the changes in instrumentation over the years in drum corps/marching band. Maybe limit it to brass or percussion, though. What are the ramifications logistically, financially, in recruiting, in retention, musically, competitively in changing the "golden ratio" of the ensemble? There are probably other areas that this affects besides the ones I've mentioned.

I honestly didn't think you meant to offend at all, Jim. I think it's an important topic for discussion. I do, however, know people that look negatively on sections other than their own (brass, percussion, whatever) and that always burns me up. It might make an interesting research project for some graduate student to analyze the changes in instrumentation over the years in drum corps/marching band. Maybe limit it to brass or percussion, though. What are the ramifications logistically, financially, in recruiting, in retention, musically, competitively in changing the "golden ratio" of the ensemble? There are probably other areas that this affects besides the ones I've mentioned.

OK, seen so much slop thrown around on this topic I was just making sure. And this was to be more of a historical thread but has gone in ways that are also good.

Changes in DC instruments..... got a collection of Baris in the basement of different set up. Including a pair of 1 valve Tenor Baris (sound like a trombone) that I never knew existed until I bought the History of DC books. And it's a kick reading early 1960s articles where people are complaing about the new Contras. Beleive "becoming more like band" was a quote from a letter.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

The pit always seems to take a bad rap because they don't march. But think about it. When there's a parade and someone has to carry the corps standards who's the first one who gets the call? When the water bottles have to be taken care of they do it. When the truck has to be loaded and unloaded who does it? We all know who it is and they do it without complaint. Drum Corps is lucky to have them.

• Like 3

OK, seen so much slop thrown around on this topic I was just making sure. And this was to be more of a historical thread but has gone in ways that are also good.

Changes in DC instruments..... got a collection of Baris in the basement of different set up. Including a pair of 1 valve Tenor Baris (sound like a trombone) that I never knew existed until I bought the History of DC books. And it's a kick reading early 1960s articles where people are complaing about the new Contras. Beleive "becoming more like band" was a quote from a letter.

JimF;

I Played one of those " Tenor Baris " in a few Corps. AND YES! we did play it as a " trombone " at times. (Think of "Fasinating Rhythm" and "Little Brown Jug", for example.) Using the Slide. But most times as a Baritone (lite Bass) parts.

(I also liked those old French Horns)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

As far as the Pit goes. I am no big fan. BUT, I will admit that they do ADD to many shows. I Do Not think they should be removed from the DC scene. Yes, they can add a lot to a show. Just think they should be smaller. Right now I think they are too BIG, and over powering (and that is without Amps). And, be honest, lets face it 90% of DCA shows are at stadiums with less than 5 thousand seats on Concert side.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

We need MORE COWBELL

More Cowbell ? :w00t:/> You must have marched Hawthorne LOL LOL

Because of the economic and logistical implications of pit size -- in the name of competitive parity, DCA should standardize the size of all pit percussion sections and cancel any notions of amplification and electronics.

I wrote a "very direct" essay about the economic implications of this issue here, if you're interested to read it.

I would think that if a corps cannot afford to buy something, they shouldn't. No one needs to micromanage the size of pits. It is their responibility to operate their corps at a level that they can afford. With that being said, most corps are not at the 128 maximum, so limiting the pit is not going to mean a larger hornline.

• Like 1