Blue Devils All-Star Drumline Headed to Lithuania

While some live on Planet Galactica imaging drum corps to the end of the galaxies, most corps budgets this year are dealing with the reality of the high unemployment in our nation, the realization that our favorite activity is a luxury item, and that many alumni are now more concerned with sheltering the homeless and feeding the hungry in their own families and neighborhoods whether they be the flooded towns of the Midwest, the shorelines which saw Superstorm Sandy, or the plains States dealing with drought and blizzards suffering good farmland. Talking with corps administrators, they are worried because of how tough the members are finding it to pay tour fees besides the customers paying ticket prices to balance budgets. Even Whitedawn admits that his Baltic effort is but a distraction for these kids who lack running hot water. Yes, music and beauty is an integral part of civilization and the human spirit. But if we are to stretch the activity, make sure the priorities are rightly ordered, not fantasies.

And.... you missed my point. Recruiting doesn't have to be sending a drum line around the world. The US isn't the only country with band programs, I know I marched with kids from Taiwan, Japan, China, Europe, Canada, Brazil. Clearly they are finding out about DCI somehow. Recruiting could be as easy as sending info and posters to various programs around the world. And clearly BD has the financial resources to do stuff like this, maybe other corps should look into those financial avenues as well. I'm not living in some fairy world of music and bunnies, I had to scrape and save to pay for my own tour fees, so I know what it's like. But if one corps can send groups around the world every year, they must be doing something good financially that other corps could not only emulate, but should. And spreading the good word about DCI also a plus. The goodwill missions though seem to be a great experience for both the BD members and the people whom they visit. Even if a corps send a group to our neighbors to the North, that's not that far away. Band programs in Canada are in a bad state of dis-repair, from what I've heard. Maybe sending groups to recruit from what's left could be a way to bring back the "I" in DCI.

Even Whitedawn admits that his Baltic effort is but a distraction for these kids who lack running hot water. Yes, music and beauty is an integral part of civilization and the human spirit. But if we are to stretch the activity, make sure the priorities are rightly ordered, not fantasies.

Should creature comfort take priority of developing a sense of optimism? Building self-confidence? Having a means for expression? Learning to set and achieve goals?

• Like 2

And clearly BD has the financial resources to do stuff like this, maybe other corps should look into those financial avenues as well.

Neither BD, nor the kids pay for this. Trips are fully-covered by international partners.

Any corps can do this. They just need to make an effort and build relationships to make it happen.

• Like 2

Should creature comfort take priority of developing a sense of optimism? Building self-confidence? Having a means for expression? Learning to set and achieve goals?

No dispute on the aspects you mention. Dragging that much percussion equiptment and personnel half way around the world to achieve it possibly is a different facet.

I have not yet made it to Lithuania, but have travelled extensively throughout Poland, Slovakia, and other Slavic states. These folks have strong inner core values.

Basic sanitation is both the struggle and the necessity I mention. Basic sanitation is not creature comfort. It's a matter of health. Much different from debating whether snares should be flat or slung or what drumhead is preferred. I am not criticizing your program, just the idealists with heads in the cloud thinking drum corps will be the panacea to all world problems...and that they will make their living off it. Best to your efforts.

No dispute on the aspects you mention. Dragging that much percussion equiptment and personnel half way around the world to achieve it possibly is a different facet.

Here is why to do this, which is all about inspiration/motivation...

1) Kids actually see what is possible, first hand. Meet role models. Interact. There is no substitue here for this type of inspiration/motivation,

2) Educators learn from best practices and are also similarly inspired/motivated. They have new threads to pull on.

3) Local community and business leaders actually see/experience what it is you are aiming for and can see the level of excellent that can be achieved with their support. They are much more inspired/motivated to support.

Bottom line, the chances of achieving the goals are much greater based on bringing a group like this out.

Also exploring how to make events like this more accessible to guys around the world, as well... virtually. Should be interesting and maybe a little bit different. :-)

• Like 4

[/size]

Neither BD, nor the kids pay for this. Trips are fully-covered by international partners.

Any corps can do this. They just need to make an effort and build relationships to make it happen.

Wow, that's good then that they've found people to finance this. I thought the System Blue stuff was financing it.

Yes, more corps should start looking for opportunities like this. Goodwill missions are always something to look into. Plus, a way to build interest and get people into drum corps.

[/size]

Here is why to do this, which is all about inspiration/motivation...

1) Kids actually see what is possible, first hand. Meet role models. Interact. There is no substitue here for this type of inspiration/motivation,

2) Educators learn from best practices and are also similarly inspired/motivated. They have new threads to pull on.

3) Local community and business leaders actually see/experience what it is you are aiming for and can see the level of excellent that can be achieved with their support. They are much more inspired/motivated to support.

Bottom line, the chances of achieving the goals are much greater based on bringing a group like this out.

Also exploring how to make events like this more accessible to guys around the world, as well... virtually. Should be interesting and maybe a little bit different. :-)

Zinoma! (half moon over the Z.)

• 2 weeks later...

One last bump, and then I promise no more.

Seriously, though... if anyone is in Europe and wants to come out, you really ought to. Vilnius is pretty easy to get to from most destinations in Europe, and everyone speaks English very well.

All events are free of charge and open to the public. We're expecting about 200 clinic participants from Lithuania, the Netherlands, and Sweden, and who knows how many attendees at the performances -- especially the one in the Cathedral Square on the evening of the 12th.

Come say hi. Daniel and I will buy you a beer.

More info: http://www.artspark.org/events/system-blue-lithuania/ or feel free to PM.

• Like 1