Boston Crusaders invited to Presidential Inaugural Parade

I work a couple blocks from the white house and the parade route will run along the street next to my building - however I'm going to the carribean that week and getting out of DC during all the hubbub

• Like 1

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BAC finalized the roster for the Inaugural Parade this morning. It will essentially be a full corps, with 140 members (no pit, obviously) made of up a mixture of current members, recent ageouts, and some 2013 auditionees. The corps' January camp in Bradenton, FL has been rescheduled and moved to the VA/MD area to coincide with the Inauguration. Currently, the organization is working on a new parade banner, special custom guard unis, silks, and drum heads. Boston is taking this parade very seriously, as it realizes that not only is the corps representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, but the drum corps activity as a whole. I think (certainly hope) that everyone in the DCI World will be supportive.

Of course, as we all know, this event comes with its share of costs, most of which are not provided for in the typical drum corps operating budget. Unlike a local high school band, which can fund raise thru events like bake sales, car washes, etc, a drum corps' reach is more broad, but also more scattered especially in the off season. Anyone wishing to help the corps out is encouraged to visit www.crusaders.com if you are interested in making a tax-deductible donation.

Thanks to one and all!

PS... What's the over and under of how many times some parade announcer refers to the corps as a band??

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1

hmmmmm i wonder where camp will be in VA/MD.

I hope people can change their plane tickets without much cost =/

Most of the corps was notified in early December to hold off on tix, and asked to book their flights into Baltimore as soon as they were asked to go. I personally don't know where the camp is being held yet, but I do know it is being worked on.

Most of the corps was notified in early December to hold off on tix, and asked to book their flights into Baltimore as soon as they were asked to go. I personally don't know where the camp is being held yet, but I do know it is being worked on.

that's good news on the flights!

I was just curious about location b/c I live a few miles west of DC (in northern VA) and there are (obviously) never any drum corps camps around here, so I might get to check it out!

that's good news on the flights!

I was just curious about location b/c I live a few miles west of DC (in northern VA) and there are (obviously) never any drum corps camps around here, so I might get to check it out!

I'll post the camp location here as soon as it is finalized~let's just all hope for moderate weather. After all these years of winter camps in FL, I'm getting dejavu worrying about the weather like we used to when the kids had to fly into Boston this time of year.

The Boston Crusaders did President Johnson's inaugural in January of 1965. Richie Gobbi was the drum major that had the temerity to march past the President's box without playing anything but a street beat. CLASSIC!

President Kennedy was made an honorary Crusader when he was still the Senator from Massachusetts as he was instrumental in securing West Point Cadet uniforms for the corps back in the day. To my understanding this will only be the second time they have played an inaugural parade.

EAT 'EM UP, BOSTON!!!

Scroll down almost half-way on the historical forum (page 514) http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/62667-some-old-corps-photos/page__st__20520

and old BAC photos from my scrapbook (now in the hands of the corps) will show the corps marching by Pres. Johnson. Most of those pictures were taken from newpaper stories.

• 2 weeks later...

BAC needs to raise $40,000.00 for the trip. To donate, go to

http://shop.crusaders.com/March_of_a_lifetime_P4214C181.cfm

Edited by BAC91
  • Like 1