longer school year

Oregon and Washington students have been dealing with this issue all along, as schools let out in mid to late June. It is definitely a factor.

Edited by luv4corps

NJ schools have always let out out mid to late June. At least since I've been alive.

I do know that finding housing in Florida was always hard.

Also parts of Tennessee I think does all year round? One school let us rehearse and shower, but we couldn't sleep in the school. We parked and just slept on the bus. Luckily our housing site before that let us stay an extra day also.

It is a problem that has been getting worse every year.

Not to mention schools don't want to open up during the summer.

The kids go, and if the office staff is not needed, or they can all centralize in the one building they will lock down buildings for the summer and shut everything off (why there have been increasing mold issues with schools... )

And some districts just find it too risky. Or quite a few had bad experiences in the past. Could have happened in the 70s or 80s but if there is one administrator left from when the bad experience happened, well then you're ####ed.

There are so many reasons for a district to say no. And the reasons just keep increasing... especially the money reason.

Basically it's been pretty bad.. and it's just gonna get worse.

Not to mention Athletic Directors hate us....

Drum corps no matter what wreak havoc on fields. There for more than one day... and oh boy. Hell we even ripped up quite a bit of turf during spring training.

Longer school hours are not the solution, because time is not the problem. Neither is money.

Here schools are pretty simple... last day June 1, first day September 1. Much of Europe is uniform as far as dates go.

Spending per student where I live is several times less than the US (based on PPP, not actual), yet students here outperform those in the US (including every state if only compared on that level) by a considerable margin.

The reason is very simple...

1) Teachers are paid a competitive wage compared to other options in the market. In addition, culturally, being a teacher is considered a highly respected position and teachers are given very attractive pension opportunities if they remain in the teaching profession.

2) The system is structured that continual parental engagement is mandatory. Schools are not taking on the full responsibility of educating the student, but exist to support the parents in educating the student.

The push for extending education hours has nothing really to do with education, but rather extending free babysitting hours. There is a considerable need for education reform in the US, part should include uniformity of schedules and days (there is no need for constant wheel reinvention) and massive pay increases for teachers.

• Like 8

"Spending per student where I live is several times less than the US (based on PPP, not actual), yet students here outperform those in the US (including every state if only compared on that level) by a considerable margin."

Where do you live?

Edited by luv4corps