longer school year

"Spending per student where I live is several times less than the US (based on PPP, not actual), yet students here outperform those in the US (including every state if only compared on that level) by a considerable margin."

Where do you live?

Lithuania.

Also, while the US has about 22% of the population earning at least a Bachelor's degree.... here it is 70%, with 30% of the population having Master's level or higher.

US system is very, very broken.

Longer school hours are not the solution, because time is not the problem. Neither is money.

Here schools are pretty simple... last day June 1, first day September 1. Much of Europe is uniform as far as dates go.

Spending per student where I live is several times less than the US (based on PPP, not actual), yet students here outperform those in the US (including every state if only compared on that level) by a considerable margin.

The reason is very simple...

1) Teachers are paid a competitive wage compared to other options in the market. In addition, culturally, being a teacher is considered a highly respected position and teachers are given very attractive pension opportunities if they remain in the teaching profession.

2) The system is structured that continual parental engagement is mandatory. Schools are not taking on the full responsibility of educating the student, but exist to support the parents in educating the student.

The push for extending education hours has nothing really to do with education, but rather extending free babysitting hours. There is a considerable need for education reform in the US, part should include uniformity of schedules and days (there is no need for constant wheel reinvention) and massive pay increases for teachers.

While there are some disagreements I have with European Academic Models I am in 100% agreement with the things you posted above.

p.s. Wow, I actually agree with the D-Ray on something :tongue:

"Spending per student where I live is several times less than the US (based on PPP, not actual), yet students here outperform those in the US (including every state if only compared on that level) by a considerable margin."

Where do you live?

could be one of many places...

International%20Education%20Spending%20Data_Image.png

edit: apparently already answered

Edited by soccerguy315

Lithuania.

Also, while the US has about 22% of the population earning at least a Bachelor's degree.... here it is 70%, with 30% of the population having Master's level or higher.

US system is very, very broken.

What's the total population of Lithuania? Hang on, we'll send you about 300 million more people. Let me know how your percentages hold up.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 2

Longer school hours are not the solution, because time is not the problem. Neither is money.

Here schools are pretty simple... last day June 1, first day September 1. Much of Europe is uniform as far as dates go.

Spending per student where I live is several times less than the US (based on PPP, not actual), yet students here outperform those in the US (including every state if only compared on that level) by a considerable margin.

The reason is very simple...

1) Teachers are paid a competitive wage compared to other options in the market. In addition, culturally, being a teacher is considered a highly respected position and teachers are given very attractive pension opportunities if they remain in the teaching profession.

2) The system is structured that continual parental engagement is mandatory. Schools are not taking on the full responsibility of educating the student, but exist to support the parents in educating the student.

The push for extending education hours has nothing really to do with education, but rather extending free babysitting hours. There is a considerable need for education reform in the US, part should include uniformity of schedules and days (there is no need for constant wheel reinvention) and massive pay increases for teachers.

Stop making so much sense!thumbup.gif

• Like 3

What's the total population of Lithuania? Hang on, we'll send you about 300 million more people. Let me know how your percentages hold up.

Peace,

Fred O.

It is absolutely relevant. Not only because the country not only outperforms every single individual state by a large margin (as I mentioned), but because education is not federally managed (only minimum standards are established). Education policy is primarily determined on a state level and administered on a district level.

It isn't about population... China is ranked #1 in both math and science categories (US is #31 and #23, with Finland ranked #1 in overall performance).

It also isn't about manageability across geography... Russia has a common education policy and curriculum across every single school in the entire country, but still outperforms the US.

Spending is also not a factor... as most of the countries ranked above the US spend considerably less on education.

Again, the issue is about priority in education policy. Interesting enough, in many of the countries outperforming the US, arts are a mandatory and essential part of primary education... sports are not.

• Like 2

It is absolutely relevant. Not only because the country not only outperforms every single individual state by a large margin (as I mentioned), but because education is not federally managed (only minimum standards are established). Education policy is primarily determined on a state level and administered on a district level.

It isn't about population... China is ranked #1 in both math and science categories (US is #31 and #23, with Finland ranked #1 in overall performance).

It also isn't about manageability across geography... Russia has a common education policy and curriculum across every single school in the entire country, but still outperforms the US.

Spending is also not a factor... as most of the countries ranked above the US spend considerably less on education.

Again, the issue is about priority in education policy. Interesting enough, in many of the countries outperforming the US, arts are a mandatory and essential part of primary education... sports are not.

So...how will Lithuania's drum corp community deal with this new initiative in the U.S. rolleyes.gif

I ask that question partially in jest, danielray. While I think education in the U.S. is a very important topic and I basically agree with all that you've said, I think you have strayed from the topic of this thread.

Please consider this post as a gentle reminder for all DCP members. (and no...I am not a mod)

So...how will Lithuania's drum corp community deal with this new initiative in the U.S. rolleyes.gif

When they come over to the US to march, they'll be able to count better, and won't ever drink arm-stirred kool aid because of their science education. :-)

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1