Carolina Crown 2013

The original didn't have phasing issues and poor attacks & releases. It was pretty great from an intonation standpoint, though.

Which recording are you referring to? Symphony 3, Fanfare for the Common Man? I have a recording of Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra performing Fanfare, and there are phrasing and articulation issues all over the place. And they're sitting down.

I am curious to listen to the recordings you are referring to so I can find/listen to them.

• Like 1

The original didn't have phasing issues and poor attacks & releases. It was pretty great from an intonation standpoint, though.

They won brass with all of these problems? blink.gif

Hmmmmmm, I'm a bit skeptical of you and your opinions... rock.gif

• Like 3

They are not speaking.... lookaround.gif

Who Crown or Zarathustra? smile.gif

The original was also performed with the performers SITTING in a much smaller confined area. No echoes, no crowd noises, and no timing issues to worry about. Crown pulled off a huge feat having the performers spread out that much. No need to be snarky.

Yeah, it was a huge feat...but it wasn't perfect. If you're going to present something with that high a level of demand and exposure, there can't be any room for small mistakes. Crown had a few small mistakes (very miniscule, but still there). That's all. No hate to be found over here.

They won brass with all of these problems? blink.gif

Hmmmmmm, I'm a bit skeptical of you and your opinions... rock.gif

I've been doing the whole "music" thing for about 15 years (and still going strong), 6 of which have been devoted to marching band/drum corps. I'd like to think that after all this time, I would at least have a partially well-trained ear (having perfect pitch usually helps, too). You can say what you want, but I saw Crown live last summer and I know what I heard. I also heard the Fanfare performed live last year by a professional orchestra, and there was a huge difference in quality (hint: the orchestra sounded better). I have no hate for anything Crown does, but don't try to tell me it was perfect. If you're gonna do a piece like that with the performers spread out that far, there's going to be a drop in quality.

But really, I don't have to justify anything I say to any of you. I thought Crown's performance of the Fanfare for the Common Man had a few flaws here and there. I'll wait while you gather your pitchforks and torches. Lol, DCP.

• Like 3

I've been doing the whole "music" thing for about 15 years (and still going strong), 6 of which have been devoted to marching band/drum corps.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

:rock:

I'd like to think that after all this time, I would at least have a partially well-trained ear (having perfect pitch usually helps, too).

:doh:

You can say what you want, but I saw Crown live last summer and I know what I heard. I also heard the Fanfare performed live last year by a professional orchestra, and there was a huge difference in quality (hint: the orchestra sounded better).

:tic:

But really, I don't have to justify anything I say to any of you. I thought Crown's performance of the Fanfare for the Common Man had a few flaws here and there.

:master:

I'll wait while you gather your pitchforks and torches. Lol, DCP.

:devil:

Yeah, it was a huge feat...but it wasn't perfect. If you're going to present something with that high a level of demand and exposure, there can't be any room for small mistakes. Crown had a few small mistakes (very miniscule, but still there). That's all. No hate to be found over here.

Show me ANY piece of music performed without mistakes. Really, please do. I've never heard one.

I have no hate for anything Crown does, but don't try to tell me it was perfect.

Who's saying it was perfect?

If you're gonna do a piece like that with the performers spread out that far, there's going to be a drop in quality.

That's exactly what I was saying in my earlier post...

I also heard the Fanfare performed live last year by a professional orchestra, and there was a huge difference in quality (hint: the orchestra sounded better).

And duh, a professional orchestra is going to sound better. The players are top-notch paid players.

I thought Crown's performance of the Fanfare for the Common Man had a few flaws here and there.

Same here. I'm just not going to get on DCP and talk about how professional orchestras played it better.

Edited by cmathis

I've been doing the whole "music" thing for about 15 years (and still going strong), 6 of which have been devoted to marching band/drum corps. I'd like to think that after all this time, I would at least have a partially well-trained ear (having perfect pitch usually helps, too). You can say what you want, but I saw Crown live last summer and I know what I heard. I also heard the Fanfare performed live last year by a professional orchestra, and there was a huge difference in quality (hint: the orchestra sounded better). I have no hate for anything Crown does, but don't try to tell me it was perfect. If you're gonna do a piece like that with the performers spread out that far, there's going to be a drop in quality.

But really, I don't have to justify anything I say to any of you. I thought Crown's performance of the Fanfare for the Common Man had a few flaws here and there. I'll wait while you gather your pitchforks and torches. Lol, DCP.

No pitchforks, but Crown was the gold standard in brass playing for quality last year. Glad you've been doing the "music" thing for that amount of time as it's a good start! tongue.gif

Many of us have been doing it for that long or longer too, most likely the judges, which I don't always agree with either.

No judgement here, just trying to figure out the disconnect between you, Crown's brass gold medal and Box 5 scores in brass and percussion, and the judges considering how bad you make them sound (no pun intended).

Please continue as I'm sure many of us welcome opinions different than ours.

Edited by jjeffeory

No pitchforks, but Crown was the gold standard for quality last year. Glad you've been doing the "music" thing for that amount of time as it's a good start! tongue.gif

Many of us have been doing it for that long or longer too, most likely the judges, which I don't always agree with either.

No judgement here, just trying to figure out the disconnect between you, Crown's brass gold medal and Box 5 score, and the judges considering how bad you make them sound (no pun intended).

Please continue as I'm sure many of us welcome opinions different than ours.

Y'know how there are people out there that don't like The Godfather? It's like that. Let me explain:

People generally consider The Godfather to be one of the greatest movies of all time, just like a lot of people consider Crown's hornline last summer to be one of the best that's ever graced the field. However, ask somebody who didn't like the movie why they didn't like it, and you might get a reason such as "I don't see what everybody else found to be so amazing about it." That's how I viewed the Fanfare last year. I understood what they were going for, and it sounded great - it just never blew me away...and yeah, I heard mistakes. Even on Quarterfinals, which was the most recent recording I've heard. Maybe my hearing is messed up, I don't know. I guess that's why I'm not a judge.

Speaking of The Godfather...if last year's show was like Part I, then count me as one of those people really excited to see their equivalent to Part II! ...but no Part III, please. We don't talk about that one.

• Like 3

Y'know how there are people out there that don't like The Godfather? It's like that. Let me explain:

People generally consider The Godfather to be one of the greatest movies of all time, just like a lot of people consider Crown's hornline last summer to be one of the best that's ever graced the field. However, ask somebody who didn't like the movie why they didn't like it, and you might get a reason such as "I don't see what everybody else found to be so amazing about it." That's how I viewed the Fanfare last year. I understood what they were going for, and it sounded great - it just never blew me away...and yeah, I heard mistakes. Even on Quarterfinals, which was the most recent recording I've heard. Maybe my hearing is messed up, I don't know. I guess that's why I'm not a judge.

Speaking of The Godfather...if last year's show was like Part I, then count me as one of those people really excited to see their equivalent to Part II! ...but no Part III, please. We don't talk about that one.

Can you be more specific about the issues you heard, as an educator of music/brass, I am curious. Because if we are going to criticize some of the small issues they had, then has there ever been a hornline that has been great? I mean, being at finals live, and listening to the post-season audio is textbook definition brass playing. I am very curious about the specifics.

Otherwise, it sounds like we are criticizing as though it has become cliche to like Crown 2012.

Maybe give some examples of better performances you have experienced either live or on video.