Carolina Crown 2013

Y'know how there are people out there that don't like The Godfather? It's like that. Let me explain:

People generally consider The Godfather to be one of the greatest movies of all time, just like a lot of people consider Crown's hornline last summer to be one of the best that's ever graced the field. However, ask somebody who didn't like the movie why they didn't like it, and you might get a reason such as "I don't see what everybody else found to be so amazing about it." That's how I viewed the "Fanfare" last year. I understood what they were going for, and it sounded great - it just never blew me away... and yeah, I heard mistakes. Even on Quarterfinals, which was the most recent recording I've heard. Maybe my hearing is messed up, I don't know. I guess that's why I'm not a judge.

I like your comparison! (I enjoyed Crown 2012 rather more than The Godfather.)

I have no hate for anything Crown does, but don't try to tell me it was perfect. If you're gonna do a piece like that with the performers spread out that far, there's going to be a drop in quality.

Who said it was perfect?

To me it was "amazing, incredible, stunning, daring, wonderful and beautiful."

As for the above clip of Dark Side of the Moon.............O M G!!!!!

• Like 1

Can you be more specific about the issues you heard, as an educator of music/brass, I am curious. Because if we are going to criticize some of the small issues they had, then has there ever been a hornline that has been great? I mean, being at finals live, and listening to the post-season audio is textbook definition brass playing. I am very curious about the specifics.

Otherwise, it sounds like we are criticizing as though it has become cliche to like Crown 2012.

Maybe give some examples of better performances you have experienced either live or on video.

He didn't say when/where he heard Crown -- just that he heard them live. So perhaps he caught a bad run -- they happen :-) It always takes some time to work out the kinks; for example, getting the endzone/backfield percussion licks to line up took some time.

• Like 1

People generally consider The Godfather to be one of the greatest movies of all time, just like a lot of people consider Crown's hornline last summer to be one of the best that's ever graced the field.

Am I one of the select few who judges horn lines by more than just their sound? What about the whole moving thing? If the horn line can play perfect in the lot, I don't care. Get out on the field and MOVE. THEN I'll judge. THIS is why I don't see what's so great about Crown's horn line.

Impressive, to me, is that Phantom 2007 video on YouTube of them running a whole football field while playing their 2003 opener pretty darn good.

/Personal opinion.

• Like 5

Am I one of the select few who judges horn lines by more than just their sound? What about the whole moving thing? If the horn line can play perfect in the lot, I don't care. Get out on the field and MOVE. THEN I'll judge. THIS is why I don't see what's so great about Crown's horn line.

Impressive, to me, is that Phantom 2007 video on YouTube of them running a whole football field while playing their 2003 opener pretty darn good.

/Personal opinion.

Are you talking about how they SOUND while they move, or just solely how they march? That's not how it works honey. Crown sounds pretty unbelievable on the move anyways. Plus, they WON visual proficiency in finals, so by what you're saying they still would have had the best brass last year.

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=d3695655-2738-4fc6-94b7-d7fe9e874b49

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

I'm not huge on recaps so I have a question..

The brass caption has sub captions of mus and tech..

does mus= book and tech= performance?

I only ask because bd won tech .

I believe so, but I'm not 100% sure. I think it might go a little deeper than that, but essentially, I believe yes.

Back to 2013 ...

Since Paul Lovatt-Cooper (composer of Dark Side of the Moon posted to youtube by Crown) is a relatively new name to DCI, I thought it might be fun to post a few more of his pieces to the thread. Not bad stuff for a percussionist :-)

NICE!!!!

I applaud Crown for using some of this brass band stuff for the second year. Some cool stuff out there. I’m hoping they find another composer as ecstatic as Mr. Moren over how his work was arranged and also performed by Crown.

• Like 1

Can you be more specific about the issues you heard, as an educator of music/brass, I am curious. Because if we are going to criticize some of the small issues they had, then has there ever been a hornline that has been great? I mean, being at finals live, and listening to the post-season audio is textbook definition brass playing. I am very curious about the specifics.

Otherwise, it sounds like we are criticizing as though it has become cliche to like Crown 2012.

Maybe give some examples of better performances you have experienced either live or on video.

Is it just me, or is this "discussion" comparing 96 or so 18-21 year-old brass players with 6 sets of tympanists spread across 80-or-so yards of football fields in sub-standard acoustical environments in non-climate controlled conditions compared to 12 professional brass players and one professional tympanist in a regulated acoustical and temperature/humidity controlled venue nothing but A GIGANTIC WASTE OF OXYGEN? Ever hear the Chicago Symphony from the 20-yard line? Didn't think so.

• Like 2