Carolina Crown 2013

Thanks for confirming.

I was pretty certain it was they but didn't want to mispeak. You know how those BD fans can be a bit defensively cultish. Wouldn't want them to hijack a Crown thread. w00t.gif/>

Defensively cultish? ......................................................................................................... lookaround.gif Ok, I can see that!

You can have your thread back, it's only slightly dented! :tongue:/>

• Like 1

I think if a corps had to just leave their equipment on the field in the event of a tornado they would be able to borrow stuff from other corps. (BD 1985 for example) Borrowed VK's drums after the food truck burnt down with all the drums on it.

Then in the '80's as well was the traffic accident involving Cadets' equipment truck and others in Stillwater, MN a few blocks from the stadium. The Cadets performed that night with flags, horns, and drums borrowed from Spirit of Atlanta. It was distinctly a different show with a different color scheme given Spirit's colors.That the Cadets performed at all was pretty tight as the corps members had all witnessed the devastating accident. It took a few shows before the Cadets could retrieve or replace their stuff. Thanks still to SoA.

Edited by drilltech1

I can confirm this. If this is the same storm we're talking about, it was brewing during the Recording Session. I was working for Box 5 and I remember scrambling to get the equipment packed up. We just barely got the trailer door closed when the sky opened up on us. It was BAD!!! Is that the day you're talking about?

Probably! I know we (percussion) were rehearsing rather than recording at that point, but I think I only remember one bad storm while we were there, so probably the same time.

I believe the season you're referring to is 2009. I think it was the Ocean Spring, MS show that they decided not to perform. They really didn't have much of a choice. They had 28 holes that night. 19 of them in brass.

I think it was the show before that one they sat out. Because that show was the first time I got a good look at it. And yes, they had quite a few holes. We actually ensembled at the show site the night before, I think we were able to rehearse there because Crown took the night off.. we were at the district's middle school, with one practice field.. guard had to be bussed somewhere else. And the field was pretty terrible.. with some blue fertilizer stuff all over it. Anyway.. a group from Crown came to watch us rehearse. Gave us a little confidence boost.. since they thought the show was cool, and they said they liked it.... a shame most of us already knew it was a bust that early in the season, haha.

The plague didn't really hit us that bad. I don't really remember much about people getting sick... except the day after a free day during circe drill in the 100% humidity when it was in the mid 90s... ph34r.gif

The 2009 show Crown sat out was at Choctawhatchee High School in Fort Walton Beach, FL. They bussed out to Ocean Springs to "rest up" for the show the next day or so. If you listen to the Houston video from later that week, you can hear members coughing after "Sensemaya".

The only worse storm I saw while I marched was at Normal, IL this past summer. That was just frightening, we really were worried there could be a tornado.

Muncie, IN? There wasn't a show in Normal last year... but that summer camp moved to Ball State in Muncie. That was the storm where the Cavies staffer got blown off the tower or something? I was at that show, but somehow on the drive in we missed the storm. IIRC, the show was delayed by an hour which is good because we were late.

1371162805[/url]' post='3267295']

I think it was the show before that one they sat out. Because that show was the first time I got a good look at it. And yes, they had quite a few holes. We actually ensembled at the show site the night before, I think we were able to rehearse there because Crown took the night off.. we were at the district's middle school, with one practice field.. guard had to be bussed somewhere else. And the field was pretty terrible.. with some blue fertilizer stuff all over it. Anyway.. a group from Crown came to watch us rehearse. Gave us a little confidence boost.. since they thought the show was cool, and they said they liked it.... a shame most of us already knew it was a bust that early in the season, haha.

The plague didn't really hit us that bad. I don't really remember much about people getting sick... except the day after a free day during circe drill in the 100% humidity when it was in the mid 90s... ph34r.gif

Haha, if you're talking about the "ForbiddeN" show, I actually really enjoyed it. I thought the capes were neat, and up to that point I'd never heard "My Immortal" done before on a football field.

Haha, if you're talking about the "ForbiddeN" show, I actually really enjoyed it. I thought the capes were neat, and up to that point I'd never heard "My Immortal" done before on a football field.

Actually. That was the only part of the show I really liked. And the last notes of the show. F Major chords at RFL... who could go wrong. That's what our hornline could have sound like if the rest of the show was orchestrated properly...

But I digress... I could go on forever, hahaha.

And actually.. a lot of people did enjoy the show. Had decent crowd reaction at quite a few shows... better than 2008 a lot of the time. Probably helped the the horns were quite a bit louder, and to save the show we added quite a few "GE" moments that were pretty entertaining...

If you would have played euphonium or tuba in that show you would have hated life though... especially since you couldn't hear us over the three synths in the pit... lol.

But for real this time. I digress.... ph34r.gif

Gave us a little confidence boost.. since they thought the show was cool, and they said they liked it.... a shame most of us already knew it was a bust that early in the season, haha.

ph34r.gif

I have often wondered this: How does it affect your season as a MM If you know your show isn't going to be one for the ages, or maybe a disappointment? I personally thought that the 2009 phantom group was solid and very talented but the design maybe wasn't up to snuff. Just curious!