Carolina Crown 2013

I'm thinking this section isn't the same by August 10th.

I hope not. Crown shows never grab me right out of the gate, but I've generally always ended up coming around by the end of the season. This year, however, they have much more ground to make up than usual.

Granted, the video I saw was not the best thing to form a first impression. But... that's the double edged sword of first impressions and most likely why many corps are so anal about what audio/video gets out to the public.

My main compliment would be that the body in the opener looked pretty #### clean and should work very well with their new uniforms/costumes/the-joker-exploded-on-my-wardrobe-outfits.

Ok, just heard the show, and I have to say, I like it. A lot. I don't care for the opening voice overs, but the rest of the voice stuff fit in just fine. (And the tubas playing a reverse three note motif in ASZ was really neat; it turned it into kind of a warmer, friendlier piece). Overall, it was a lot brighter and less ....well...weird than I'd been led to believe on here. I don't think they're suddenly going Blue Devils on us at all - if anything, they're taking the formula from last year and turning the dial up on the difficulty. I very much look forward to seeing this show in motion now!

-Mike

I find it very disconcerting when I like BD what I have heard more this early than I do Crown. Someone recently on Facebook called them the Purple Devils. Kinda fits

• Like 3

So, I finally saw the video of the run-through and honestly, based on what I read on here, I though the narration was going to be worse than what I saw. I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. Sure, it's not traditional, but where would any of us be if we all just stuck to tradition. Tradition has to change some time, and Crown chose for it to change now.

• Like 2

Thanks to t on the performance thread. My comments there. What are yours?

http://www.drumcorps...25#entry3267525 post above #33 and 36 I think

Edited by drilltech1

1371235924[/url]' post='3267532']

So, I finally saw the video of the run-through and honestly, based on what I read on here, I though the narration was going to be worse than what I saw. I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. Sure, it's not traditional, but where would any of us be if we all just stuck to tradition. Tradition has to change some time, and Crown chose for it to change now.

So you're saying posters sometimes exaggerate on DCP? Hmm, I never noticed that.tongue.gif

• Like 2

ZOMG!!! New Full run through is posted on youtube. Catch it, download it before it's taken down!!!!!!!!

p.s. it's really good. worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

Change is not always for the better. Talking over music is annoying, unless the music is purposefully fluff. There's no time for fluff music in a drum corps show, so any talking over the music means that music can't be enjoyed. Not every drum corps fan is so picky about the music, I understand, but lots of us are there to hear the music first and foremost.

I love Einstein on the Beach and there are a few sections with random talking over the music. However, generally the talking is repetitive nonsense that's there to add some rhythmic dissonance to the often-numbing repetitiveness of the music. And when the talking is meaningful (as in the John and Mary story that's the basis of Crown's ballad), the music is at its least inherently interesting, just a repeating figure with no changes on solo violin.

Here's a good, extended version of Knee 5:

I find watching the narrators speak incredibly hypnotizing... Crown doesn't have time to pull off this depth in their adaptation. Best to leave out all of the four minute narration, especially if they are going to drop the part after "Impossible, you ask?" The remainder of the narration is the best part.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

IMO, what i would do will be a recorded voice-over instead of a live. Who knows what can go wrong in a live voice-over. I think Crown should call BD and ask them how they did what they did with their voice-over. Voice-over can either help you or hurt you. And they sometimes can take away what you are trying to do with the show. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I know what Crown is trying to do and remember this is June. They have plenty of time to see what works and what does not. I think we should cut them some slack for right now. If you still do not like what you see further down the line, then you can voice your opinions. I think everyone is so hyped about this season and they want their corp to be the best. I see were everyone is coming from and I must say I am right there with you. So give them time and see how everything goes.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with pushing the envelope or trying something that's considered outside tradition (even though narration has been around in DCI for going on a decade now). My problem with narration stems from it being done poorly and thereby taking me "out of the moment". There are very few instances where it works (BD nailed it last year, IMO). Many would argue, but I think the majority of Cadets '07 worked, up until the closer. I can't listen to that part of the show without realizing how poorly it's written and (sorry, kid) performed.

When you have a brassline like Crown has, and you're playing that awesome ballad, the absolute LAST thing I want to hear is some kid awkwardly narrating the play-by-play of a love story.

All IMO of course.

• Like 1