Carolina Crown 2013

IMO, what i would do will be a recorded voice-over instead of a live. Who knows what can go wrong in a live voice-over

:blink: Precisely why recorded voice-overs shouldn't be allowed. Without risk, there's no point.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

There are very few instances where it works (BD nailed it last year, IMO)

As a counter-argument, BD's narration last year was the only part of the show that really ruined things for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of it. And with Crown, the narration in that original video didn't bother me as much (though I can see how someone who wasn't a Glass fanboy would find it off-putting, and I would rather be without it). Although I see on the 6/11 run-through video posted above that narration is not part of the show...

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

IMO, what i would do will be a recorded voice-over instead of a live. Who knows what can go wrong in a live voice-over

:blink:/>/> Precisely why recorded voice-overs shouldn't be allowed. Without risk, there's no point.

Yeah, why not get prerecord the horns and drums, too? Never worry about fracked notes again!

Those runs are insane. I can't even move my fingers that fast on an instrument, and yet they have all 84 of them doing that. Pretty amazing. Just a week until I get to see it live! Can't wait!

• Like 3

I could be wrong but I do think there is a recorded voice-over playing.

I don't have a problem with pushing the envelope or trying something that's considered outside tradition (even though narration has been around in DCI for going on a decade now). My problem with narration stems from it being done poorly and thereby taking me "out of the moment". There are very few instances where it works (BD nailed it last year, IMO). Many would argue, but I think the majority of Cadets '07 worked, up until the closer. I can't listen to that part of the show without realizing how poorly it's written and (sorry, kid) performed.

When you have a brassline like Crown has, and you're playing that awesome ballad, the absolute LAST thing I want to hear is some kid awkwardly narrating the play-by-play of a love story.

All IMO of course.

THAT'S A BINGO!!!

I wonder how much goes into perfecting the narration itself. For me, that is exactly what bothers me there, BUT..., it is rehearsal. Look at Star Wars without James Earl Jones' voice-over. It is the strangest thing. So not going to put much stock into that part for a good while (mid-Julyish). The ending certainly isn't what will be played in late July either. I would like to hear those heavenly voice-overs on The Abyss, just like they do it on the soundtrack.

Although I see on the 6/11 run-through video posted above that narration is not part of the show...

Yeah, I just watched that run and got chills during the ballad.

Why? Because I wasn't being distracted by some college kid telling me about two lovers on a park bench and wondering what that had to do with E=mc2 and why was he telling me this over a gorgeous ballad that is totally separate from the source the narration is pulled from, especially when the guard seems to be acting it out fairly well all by their lonesome and god I wish he would just shut up, this has gotta be as awkward for him as it is for me, did none of us learn from the whole debacle that was the 2008 Cadets, I know the big hit is coming, but it doesn't matter because I just want this entire number to be over so I don't have to listen to this little diddy about Jack and Diane from this kid who wasn't even born when that song came out and I wonder what they're gonna do next year, boy this camera is shaky, my battery's low but I left my charger at work, who puts all these ads on YouTube videos anyway, do I get another gin and tonic, I think I get another gin and tonic, Jim never has a second cup of coffee at home....

• Like 4

1371252420[/url]' post='3267584']

Yeah, I just watched that run and got chills during the ballad.

Why? Because I wasn't being distracted by some college kid telling me about two lovers on a park bench and wondering what that had to do with E=mc2 and why was he telling me this over a gorgeous ballad that is totally separate from the source the narration is pulled from, especially when the guard seems to be acting it out fairly well all by their lonesome and god I wish he would just shut up, this has gotta be as awkward for him as it is for me, did none of us learn from the whole debacle that was the 2008 Cadets, I know the big hit is coming, but it doesn't matter because I just want this entire number to be over so I don't have to listen to this little diddy about Jack and Diane from this kid who wasn't even born when that song came out and I wonder what they're gonna do next year, boy this camera is shaky, my battery's low but I left my charger at work, who puts all these ads on YouTube videos anyway, do I get another gin and tonic, I think I get another gin and tonic, Jim never has a second cup of coffee at home....

What if I told you I was that kid?..... Hahaha, no totally joking. I don't even know the guy! I think I said this before but he's one of the DMs so he just conducts through that part now. I'm guessing its a permanent change but I really don't know for sure. I saw about five runthroughs of the show while they were at GWU and each one was a little different. So who knows?