Carolina Crown 2013

Many would argue, but I think the majority of Cadets '07 worked, up until the closer. I can't listen to that part of the show without realizing how poorly it's written and (sorry, kid) performed.

I think his was a brilliant performance, as long as you read his intent as subverting the nominal message: the narration is about how drum corps helped him overcome insecurities, but he sounds instead like someone barely able to contain a heap of resentment!

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I think his was a brilliant performance, as long as you read his intent as subverting the nominal message: the narration is about how drum corps helped him overcome insecurities, but he sounds instead like someone barely able to contain a heap of resentment!

I actually thought he sounded a lot like Napoleon Dynamite.

I dunno, maybe it's because of my line of work but I always liked that show. Especially the narration. Crazy, right?

• Like 3

Yeah, I just watched that run and got chills during the ballad.

Why? Because I wasn't being distracted by some college kid telling me about two lovers on a park bench and wondering what that had to do with E=mc2 and why was he telling me this (snip)

Obviously, this is the time of the season where everybody is experimenting with what works and what doesn't. Props to Crown for first trying the narration live, but in the original the "park bench" narration is performed by a very, very old man, and that changes the context completely (i.e., he's reminiscing about two lovers in the distant past, one of them probably himself). I think they would be much better off with a pre-recorded narration by a suitably crusty old guy. Imagine if the Blue Devils' narration last year was done by a member in unaccented English. It would have been baffling, and not in the way they intended.

• Like 2

THIS I.....

... Tina, eat your foooood!

Okay, so we know that Crown is going to have a top-notch brass line and music book, and if all goes similar to the last few years, will place in the top 3 in Brass Performance, Music Ensemble, and Music GE.

But what about their Visual Program? To be a champion, you gotta have a championship visual design, which the Blue Devils seem to have mastered the past few years. Now, I could go into detail as to my observations on some of the "tricks" BD has used since ~2008, but instead, I want to focus on what Crown will do / can do to make their visual book be as immersive as their music book:

- How will the ideas of Energy, Mass, Speed, and Light be explored (the name of the show is E=mc^2, after all)?

- Regarding light, how can the concept of light being both a particle and a wave be visualized on the field?

- Though this relates more to quantum mechanics rather than relativity, how about visualizing the "Double-slit Experiment" on the field?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

220px-Doubleslit3Dspectrum.gif

• Like 1

Okay, so we know that Crown is going to have a top-notch brass line and music book, and if all goes similar to the last few years, will place in the top 3 in Brass Performance, Music Ensemble, and Music GE.

But what about their Visual Program? To be a champion, you gotta have a championship visual design, which the Blue Devils seem to have mastered the past few years. Now, I could go into detail as to my observations on some of the "tricks" BD has used since ~2008, but instead, I want to focus on what Crown will do / can do to make their visual book be as immersive as their music book:

- How will the ideas of Energy, Mass, Speed, and Light be explored (the name of the show is E=mc^2, after all)?

- Regarding light, how can the concept of light being both a particle and a wave be visualized on the field?

- Though this relates more to quantum mechanics rather than relativity, how about visualizing the "Double-slit Experiment" on the field?

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

220px-Doubleslit3Dspectrum.gif

That's an understatement, BDs visual scores the past 5 years:

2012 - GE Visual was a perfect 20, Guard was a perfect 20, Visual was 29.75/30.

2011 - GE Visual was 19.75/20, Guard was 19.8, Visual was 29.65.

2010 - GE Visual was 19.95/20, Guard was a perfect 20, visual was 29.95/30.

2009 - GE Visual was 19.7/20, Guard was a perfect 20, visual was 29.95/30.

2008 - GE Visual was 19.95/20, Guard was 19.9/20, visual was 29.75/20.

I dunno, maybe it's because of my line of work but I always liked that show. Especially the narration. Crazy, right?

Nope, not crazy. I loved the entire 07 show, narration and all. It totally worked for me as a complete package.

• Like 2