Carolina Crown 2013

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2H2JwssB8wE- Carolina Crown

http://www.youtube.c...tb5po3Ll7Nw- The Academy

Video of yesterday performance

Man, that Crown show just makes me smile. Horn book is amazing. I'm not a huge fan of the narration in the ballad, but I LOVE how the hornline supports it. Makes for a good story.

Can anyone explain the number counting to me? I kinda liked it, just not sure how it fit in.

Opener, Drum Break, and ballad are live.

In the opener, the counting is sampled. The narration of actual words is live.

Having seen the video a few more times, I think the narration in the opener/pre-show is fine, as it's over a pretty boring (IMO) mashup of Einstein and ASZ. I'd prefer to open with just a straight Also Sprach, but whatever. I wish all the counting was live. The sampled stuff sounds lame and forced (it sounds sped up). The counting in general, I like and don't find distracting at all. Especially as "percussion" so to speak in the drum break, it's genius. I'd love it if the whole corps were doing it without amplification, but I suspect that would just sound like mushy overloud duts.

The narration over the ballad needs to go. I like that part of EotB, but if the audience cringes, then it's a failure. And for me, putting words over beautiful music is a major failure. In the opera, that narration is the key focus. But over different, more interesting music, it's a major distraction. The left side of my brain wins and I can't enjoy the show while it's going on. Similar to the Blue Devils' narration last year, although at least Crown's is live and understandable...

The judges probably will see it differently, though, so I suspect we're stuck with it. At least it's only a couple minutes worth of the show, I suppose.

Man, that Crown show just makes me smile. Horn book is amazing. I'm not a huge fan of the narration in the ballad, but I LOVE how the hornline supports it. Makes for a good story.

Can anyone explain the number counting to me? I kinda liked it, just not sure how it fit in.

It's a major part of the libretto in Einstein on the Beach. So much a part of that opera's identity that I don't think they could do that material without some reference to the counting.

Crown's opener and the ballad use the EotB closing:

The drum break seems to be based on Act 3 Scene 1 (be glad they used just the counting and not the narration from this part):

The end of the drum break when the brass comes back in is from the "Spaceship" section (at 12:35):

Edited by skywhopper

It's a major part of the libretto in Einstein on the Beach. So much a part of that opera's identity that I don't think they could do that material without some reference to the counting.

Got it, thanks!

edit: Thanks for the videos, it helps a lot!

Edited by g00fyg00ber

1371767158[/url]' post='3269937']

I totally agree emc2. This seems to be the problem with most of their shows. The designers just don't know when enough is enough.

Welp, ya' can't please everyone.

• Like 1

Welp, ya' can't please everyone.

Very true, but it sure helps to please the most rather than the few! :thumbup:

Very true, but it sure helps to please the most rather than the few! thumbup.gif

Regarding show design, I think they have. Crown is a fan favorite most years. Even here, far more people said they like this year's show than not.

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly. Hornline is just outstanding. The narration is just distracting at best, and with that ballad, just plain cheesy. As a BD fan, the only show I didn't like was 2005 Dance Derby show, because the awful narration distracted and took away from some great music. I also couldn't get used to the french dude yacking away in last year's show. Cadets in 2008 ... ugh ... cheesy. Here, with Crown 2013, we have an amazing hornline, outstanding music, and that incessant counting by a fake choir stamping over what would have been excellent musical moments. Now, if were just that counting blather, that's one thing ... but the ballad with the lover poem thing ... cringe worthy! This corps does NOT need that much narration. It's strength is their amazing hornline and musicality. Let it shine through uninterrupted!

Drumline sounds pretty good ... probably improved from what was relatively a weakness last year. Visually, a very interesting and challenging drill. Will probably be easier to clean and have clarity vs last year. UNiform color does indeed make the corps look smaller to me. Those transparent flags in the ballad are hard to see, at least on YouTube video.

Overall -- can't wait to see them at Stanford! Wonderful music! I'm going to try and block out that narration though. Just NOT necessary, IM(maybe not so)HO. Wonder if DCP community will have as violent a reaction to it as they did with Cadets and BD in the past...

Here's your answer: No.

• Like 3

If you can't make it to a show this year, you can have the scores sent directly to your phone. Just text 'DCISCORES' to the number 90210. I have no idea why DCI isn't promoting this this season.

• Like 1