Carolina Crown 2013

What an amazing show! I am so glad I was able to attend Finals this year. Seeing Crown live was so much better than the online or theater shows (to be fair, they all were). And the encore performance was even better...probably because I wasn't holding my breath the entire time. :)

I've never been present for a Finals encore, so this may be the norm, but it appeared that every member on the field was smiling ear-to-ear through the whole thing. Especially the 2 young women doing the counting/narration - so much emotion just from them.

What's the record for most standing ovations in a show?

Anyway, absolutely love this show and can't wait for the Finals blu-rays to come out so I can watch it over and over.

Yes, the morning of Prelims. Here's hoping for not only the standard Brass only ... but the percussion only as well. I missed that last year. :(

Awesome. I want the whole show, narration and all.

I was just thinking today, "I really hope they did a horn cam video of this show" and here it is, from the victory run no less! Really gives you an idea of how insanely demanding these shows are and how talented the members are. Awesome!

Thank you Crown for getting me back into drum corps again after several years of waning interest. I'm so glad I got to see the show in person; I'll definitely be listening to this one for years to come. Congratulations on your hard fought and well deserved win. And keep the amazing hornlines coming!

Congrats to the 2013 DCI Champions, outstanding show!

My 3-year-old is a big Carolina Crown fan. His 3 favorite shows to watch (and Crown is the only corps he ever asks to see) are 2008, 2011 and 2013. I asked him what he likes about this year's shows and his replies included:

They play fast

They make sunglasses and a nose (the infinity symbol at the beginning of the show)

They make a spider

They make Mickey

They make a princess hat

They do ballet

They have a purple butt

Just thought you'd like some feedback from a future DCI ticket buyer and (hopefully) marching member. :thumbup:

• Like 5

Just thought I would stop in and say to Crowns percussion, you guys are INCREDIBLE! I hope to become that level of a player, or at least half of that at some point. 6th against some of the strongest lines and front ensembles in the activity? They're no slouch regardless of if the corps won or where they placed. It's gotta be hard to read comments of how they need to pick up the slack, or that they suck. 99% of those people either have no place to say that or no idea that what they're talking about. If, say Troopers were scoring 6th - 7th in percussion, they'd be freakin incredible for the corps. I don't think where the corps places should dictate in my mind that a section is bad. A weakness in the corps scoring? Sure. But that's not to discredit their obvious talent and hard work.

Not my favorite book of the year, but well done. An improvement over last year in my eyes. I don't really want to spur an argument of their staff, the writing, or the kids. That's been beaten to death already. Just thought I'd say I appreciate what they did this year. The championship wouldn't have happened the way it did without them! When I'm that good I can analyze or criticize. But I'm not. And I won't.

(I thought the front ensemble was pretty great personally).

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

"My God..........it's full of stars!" (excerpt from 2010 A Space Odyssey)

Congratulations to the MM's, Parents, Staff and Supporters of this great Carolina Crown organization. Your friendship and camaraderie with an amazing Blue Devils corps was evident last night at retreat.....testimony to a healthy and deep respect you have for each other. Wear this first ring (of what I suspect to be many) with pride and accomplishment for the rest of your lives.

Could you imagine what would have happened if they had put that in as the narration right before the guy goes through the wormhole? I think every nerd in the stands would have had a mild heart attack at the exact same time.

I keep reading this and imagining how stunning that would have been. Talk about goosebumps! Just seeing the body limbs mimicking was amazing enough.

By the way, my band director brother says that they likely had wireless earpieces to coordinate one arm going in and another going out between the two "pods". Anyone know how they got the timing so right?

I'm still giddy over this show. I'm still seeing things in it that I've missed all year long.

I credit both Plan9 and fsubone; Plan for the beautiful quote perfectly placed, and fsubone for imagining it at the end of the show. It's a "what if?" I'll enjoy for a long, long time.

By the way, my band director brother says that they likely had wireless earpieces to coordinate one arm going in and another going out between the two "pods". Anyone know how they got the timing so right?

Would that even be allowed in DCI? I saw them at Allentown in rehearsal and performance and saw no sign of anything like that, and I very much doubt they'd need it. If they were in a high school band, sure. But I think they probably just choreographed it very precisely to time it with the music.

Edited by CrownStarr