Carolina Crown 2013

Can't wait to see Crown come out West this year. My first chance to see them live since 2008. Hope they have a great show, and really bring the heat out west, especially if they want to top BD and SCV, and get that first title. I wish them the best.

I love the Blue Devils, I really do. But I think that Crown got robbed last year. The brass was ridiculously good, sure the line needed some work, but I'm sure they'll have that fixed this year. Get in some amazing general effects and the title is theirs. I think that BD has finally met its matchthumbup.gif Good job Carolina Crown. Can't wait to see what you do this year.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Since the cone of silence is still engaged down in fort mill, thought it might be fun to put some more 2012 vids up in the thread. The first is a segment from the end of the opener at 70% speed -- this rehearsal was at Avon HS the day after the 9pm to 2am rehearsal at the stadium at IU. Pretty cool to hear how well this segment holds up under the lower speed wrt timing and intonation. The second video is a compilation of the brass line breaking things down before going to ensemble and includes the section in the first video.

Slow speed.

Full speed. (segment above starts around 6:35 but the whole video is a clinic in brass instruction!)

Edited by corpsband

A quick question: Why does the staff find it necessary to establish this code of silence every year?

• Like 1

A quick question: Why does the staff find it necessary to establish this code of silence every year?

Probably due to the fact that people can sit around for months and scrutinize with no basis for those judgements, other than knowing some names of songs. Could also be that not that long ago we wouldn't know what a corps was playing until much later. Maybe even that many people feel as though the corps owes it to us fans to tell us what their shows are. Just some thoughts.

• Like 3

Partly because they aren't sure if the concept they have now will be the same in May. Also because many times we don't have full rights to the music we're working on/testing. I think it was in 2010 (I wasn't there) that they lost half their book before move-ins because someone posted them playing music without arranging rights and whatnot.

When asked what our show is going to be this year, this early, I've gotten in the habit of saying "I just march here, they'll figure it out."

• Like 2

20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

That joke was old when it was first used -- in 2010.

Um, not trying to be off topic, but isn't that a llama? :tongue:

• Like 2