Carolina Crown 2013

Watched the link a few pages ago today. Delicious music; want a 'through the years' CD. Exposed, expansive drill becoming a signature along with cool foot move. I like numbers but during the ballad wished for Lou Rawls (a lower pitch) and agree that she should talk (in an alto voice). I like CC : )

It certainly lessens the risk for those actual performers that they don't have to voice the piece live, doesn't it? If they screw up, they can try again, lots of times, until the recording is good. Do you disagree with skywhopper that the essence of drum corps is live performance?

As skywhopper asked: why not have someone in the pit cover the voice? And as for practicality, why doesn't that argument justify prerecording a trumpet solo?

You carefully ignored my response and regurgitated the question: the most difficult voice parts in Crown's show are performed live. The sampled counting lets the voice performers *also* participate as hornline members for the rest of the show. There's no attempt to reduce risk in this show. Don't know how to say it more clearly.

As skywhopper asked: why not have someone in the pit cover the voice? And as for practicality, why doesn't that argument justify prerecording a trumpet solo?

They chose the best voice performers out of the 150 available members. They are who they are. And why would it be more practical to have a trumpet player pre-record their solo? You're not making any sense.

• Like 3

You carefully ignored my response and regurgitated the question: the most difficult voice parts in Crown's show are performed live. The sampled counting lets the voice performers *also* participate as hornline members for the rest of the show. There's no attempt to reduce risk in this show. Don't know how to say it more clearly.

They chose the best voice performers out of the 150 available members. They are who they are. And why would it be more practical to have a trumpet player pre-record their solo? You're not making any sense.

I believe the CC designers/arrangers decided early on that they were going to approach the voices as "instruments" and present them as they would any other instrument on the field...."live" and performance dependent. Other corps designs may not require the live nature of the production, as the voices are merely used to focus the design. CC's voices harmonize and (like other "live" instrument performances) do so with risk and levels of execution. I like it.

Just one comment, I REALLY think they should use a male and female do the voices at the end, it might fly in the face of the "telling the story" nature of the moment, but it could shorten the dialogue and may add drama......just a thought.

Congrats to CC for their best effort ever!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

I don't think the sampled versions (of the actual performers?) has anything to do with avoiding risk.

Umm... what? How can it be anything but?

It's just a matter of practicality. The performers happen to be marching and playing their instruments at the time.

So they are avoiding the risk of being two or three horns short at that moment.

I suppose Crown could have chosen to cut those performers from the hornline altogether and have them stand up front during the entire show -- even when there is no voice at all.

You're just being silly here. They could design around the soloists like they always do: have them get out of line and go to their spots at the appropriate time and rejoin the form later. And it's not like those four folks are the only people who can sing in the corps. I bet they have pit members who can sing the appropriate bits. The girl who's triggering the samples has a voice. If it's a poor voice, then put her on a marimba and use another pit member. Problem solved.

As for gutless -- I think Crown's use of the live narration is already extremely exposed, difficult and risky.

And the sampled portions are gutless.

Calling Crown "risk averse" is just...silly.

Well, they are risk takers in some areas and risk averse in others. I do think this show is less risky from a "what will the judges think" point of view than last year's.

• Like 1

After watching the Mesa vid a second time (I refrained as much as possible from forming an opinion on the first viewing):

The hornline is (again) amazing.

I actually like that they're not flying around (as much) in the drill.

However, as a lot of others have opined, they should heed their own narration "There was silence between them, so profound was their love for each other they needed no words to express it..." You have two guard members visually doing what the words are saying, quite effectively from what I can see. Let them do it and let the music support it. That part of the show feels like an off, off-Broadway performance art piece, IMO...

Edited by gak27
  • Like 1

Since this is a most talked about thread, here is a link of the BD Drumline

-Practicing Full Show
  • Like 2

After watching the Mesa vid a second time (I refrained as much as possible from forming an opinion on the first viewing):

The hornline is (again) amazing.

I actually like that they're not flying around (as much) in the drill.

However, as a lot of others have opined, they should heed their own narration "There was silence between them, so profound was their love for each other they needed no words to express it..." You have two guard members visually doing what the words are saying, quite effectively from what I can see. Let them do it and let the music support it. That part of the show feels like an off, off-Broadway performance art piece, IMO...

Also IMO...That part just feels "off off". Let's not drag Broadway in to this ;) The irony of the statement that they "needed no words" is just so thick and delicious. The rest of the show is killer.

• Like 1

I like the show. I don't "get it" at all - I have no idea how any of this ties together or how the theme e=mc2 even applies. And the fact the narrator has to shout at the end of the ballad to be heard over the hornline makes me :sad: . But I do like the show.

Mike

I like the show. I don't "get it" at all - I have no idea how any of this ties together or how the theme e=mc2 even applies. And the fact the narrator has to shout at the end of the ballad to be heard over the hornline makes me :sad:/> . But I do like the show.

Mike

I'm glad they made the narration more dramatic. That ballad did feel out of place until after I talked with a friend of mine; he saw it as a demonstration of the right side of the brain. It makes perfect sense since the previous segment is very much a left brain production. I'm seeing the show to be more about consciousness and the human mind than e=mc^2, or space/physics.

It should be fun to see how they fare against BD.