Most dangerous 2013 DCA corps?

Is it Reading, because they've demonstrated they know how to stay on top?

Empire Statesmen, because they'll be doing their last (for now) season on the field and everyone will be on hand to make it memorable?

Caballeros, because they made their move last year and it's only "up" from here?

My answer is Cadets2.

Cadets2 were certainly solid by September last year after a late, and slow start. They are being managed by an organization that doesn't take "no" for an answer and has lots of tools to work with.

What's your take?

• Like 1

I dont think it will be Empire, I think they are going to go out having fun and could care less about placement.

Cabs will be one to look out for. They have momentum on their side.

Bucs are an obvious choice.

Cadets2 learned from last year and Im sure they will design more around DCA for this season.

MBI won in 11 and didnt defend in 12. I bet that left a bad taste in their mouths.

No matter who comes out ahead, it should be another very competitive year!

skeptic,

Your Empire theory is one I didn't consider. They are all about entertaining and having a fun time. It's just that they always have talent, too. I can see next year being a kind of "reunion" year for them, with all hands on deck. That could present a problem for everyone else. I do know Reading had an enormous turnout at their open house. It does start with turnout, but it doesn't always end there. I agree, Cabs took a huge step last year in the right direction. The early Cadets2 video showed plenty of potential. More than 2012.

Keep your eyes on SUN. They have a new management group, an excellent instructional staff, a ton of people at rehearsals, and new money behind them. They probably won't win it all but they will upset some apple carts this season.

• Like 2

Now, THAT would be cool!

I go pretty far back, I remember the guy with the "little baton" (Sasso) and how good they were then. Procession of the Nobles, yikes! Maybe it's time for Fran Haring to jump back in? On second thought . . . maybe not. :devil:/>

• Like 1

Now, THAT would be cool!

I go pretty far back, I remember the guy with the "little baton" (Sasso) and how good they were then. Procession of the Nobles, yikes! Maybe it's time for Fran Haring to jump back in? On second thought . . . maybe not. :devil:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

skeptic,

Your Empire theory is one I didn't consider. They are all about entertaining and having a fun time. It's just that they always have talent, too. I can see next year being a kind of "reunion" year for them, with all hands on deck.

Agreed.

I dont think it will be a member thing, just a design thing.

I doubt they will worry about designing for the judges but more to the fans as a thank you and something special for them. If that happens to lead to a championship or at least a high finish, that would be cool to see.

• Like 2

So true. If you can't win with what brings the audience out of their seats, sends them home satisfied, then maybe we need to take a hard look at what we are trying to sell.

On the money.

I hope all-age corps never goes to the "oh-so-serious" less-personality route taken by so many DCI corps.

Not a knock on those DCI corps. They are absolutely great at what they do, and I enjoy watching them.

But I would hope that all-age corps have a bit of a different mission.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this whole game is passing me by.

Maybe the days of DCA being the more relaxed, personality-oriented, mainstream, (meaning the "average fan from whatever town" can enjoy most if not all of the shows, as opposed to the "inside marching music" audience) outright crowd-oriented product (by that I mean that corps like Empire Statesmen, Skyliners, etc. can, and have, thrived competitively even though those corps' shows are/were geared for the average fans first, judges second) are going away and will not come back.

I don't know.

Heck... I don't know a lot of things. :tongue:

• Like 7