Guardians Drum Bugle Corp? Wow...

Unfortunately, this wont happen. supposedly this kid runs his own marching design website...

The operative word is 'kid' not that he is running a marching based web site. I mean that Key Poulan and John Meehan both run their own marching design based business and I would trust either one of them to run the business of a corps.

• Like 1

Please realize that I say this with all respect to you as a person... but no, with what you wrote you did not do things correctly; and you will not do things correctly in the future by continuing to think of this as a musical venture. Except in the revenue/expenditure and qualitative sense the person wanting to 'form' or be a 'founder' of a corps should not concern himself with what drums, horns, staff, stick sponsors, music, etc the corps will use; leave all that fun stuff over to the designers, caption heads, and instructors. The person wanting to 'form' or be the 'founder' of the corps should only be about one thing and one thing only: the business side of running the Corporation.

I don't know how you could even say that I didn't do things correctly or I won't do them correctly.....

501 3 c Obtained

Board of Directors Obtained

Staff Obtained

Instruments Obtained

Sponsors Obtained

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2010/03/2010-drums-on-the-chippewa/

My linkhttp://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/?s=Chippewa+Valley+Drum+corps&x=0&y=0

......... I understand that a drum corps is a business. It's a very tough one for anybody to run.

Our problem was not being able to get enough members out of the Eau Claire, Wisconsin area and not enough local support from area high schools.

I'd really love for advice from anybody.

• Like 1

Someone on another forum posted a while back asking for advice in starting a corps - my advice was that if you are imagining what they'll wear, the music they'll play or the drill they'll march, you're probably not going to succeed. The work that must be put in prior to that point dwarfs any of the "on field" planning and preparation.

Mike

• Like 4

I don't know how you could even say that I didn't do things correctly or I won't do them correctly.....

501 3 c Obtained

Board of Directors Obtained

Staff Obtained

Instruments Obtained

Sponsors Obtained

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2010/03/2010-drums-on-the-chippewa/

My linkhttp://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/?s=Chippewa+Valley+Drum+corps&x=0&y=0

......... I understand that a drum corps is a business. It's a very tough one for anybody to run.

Our problem was not being able to get enough members out of the Eau Claire, Wisconsin area and not enough local support from area high schools.

I'd really love for advice from anybody.

Nope: Your problem is that even in this list you did not address the one axiom, the single focus, in which any director of any business has to, must follow to succeed, survive, and stay alive: The 'primary' goal of any business is to.... what?

• Like 3

So, in order to run a drum corps properly, you need to be trained by Stu. Or just let him run everything, since it seems to be his job to always tell people what they did wrong running a corps. Captain Hindsight to the rescue!

• Like 6

Critical attributes for a corps director:

1. A thick skin - to deal with the ignorance coming from us armchair quarterbacks. :smile:

2. Team builder - sustaining a drum corps requires hard work from dozens of people, most of whom will be volunteers or very low paid staff. The director must be able to attract and retain motivated people to serve in these roles.

3. Money management - responsible budgeting is a must. Fundraising can be a team effort, but when spending those funds, the buck stops with the corps director.

I am reluctant to impose any more prerequisites. We have several successful directors who started in their early to mid 20s. We have directors who are involved in the design side of their corps. These are not deal breakers.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

One thing I don't understand about this activity is the lack of support of those who try. The activity is dying and needs more corps period. So what this person is a "kid". Kids have done many wonderful things starting with Joan of Ark to Eesha Khare 18 who recently develop a quick charger for phones.

Many adults have attempted to start corps and failed. Even some of our more well known posters on DCP (Any remember North Coast DB back in 2006). Instead of knocking these people offer support. I don't know how much DCP affects recruiting (probably not much since most people in my daughters college band doesn't even know about DCP) but any negatives hurt 10 times more then any positives.

This isn't 1950 or even 1980. I say Good luck to whomever is running the Guardians whether they are 18 or 48.

• Like 6

So...after reading through this thread, a lot of hate. A whole lot. But hey...he did it. Apparently the corps turned into a Soundsport thing for this season, and might continue to recruit more for next season as an Open Class DCI corps.

They had their very first performance alongside the Crossmen last week for their "Friends and family" type event. A few Youtube clips are up too:

• Like 7

I say good luck in these day and age when corps are diminishing, It's a good thing to have people starting them up. There are two new open class corps this year, and that's fantastic and I'm excited to see the drum corps activity growing and wish success to them, even if the odds are against them.

• Like 2