Old School Drill

I would say the big difference between then and now is back then didn't march to 'dots' on the field; drill was based more guiding off each other, move as squads, etc.

That is a good difference to mention. Kind of hard to say your dot was "53 1/4 steps outside the midfield stripe and 49 1/2 from the front hash" back when there were no yardlines on the field! :smile:

I would say the big difference between then and now is back then didn't march to 'dots' on the field; drill was based more guiding off each other, move as squads, etc.

Excellent observation ... I'm surprised none of the M&M purists have chimed in ... when I joined drum corps in the late 50's/early 60's ... a good deal of our time was spent doing "Close Order Drill" ... it would look something like this:

german_close_order_drill.jpg

All the "manuvering" was based on military "moves" ... it was the discipline and the exactness of the move and the pattern that was so challenging to all (well at least to me) ... Squad Right March ... Sqaud Left March ... To The Rear March ... Eschelons ... Waterfalls ... To The Winds March ... Guide Left ... Guide Right ... DRESS CENTER DRESS!!!!

It was all good ... at least for this young kid ...

:-)

• Like 1

Excellent observation ... I'm surprised none of the M&M purists have chimed in ... when I joined drum corps in the late 50's/early 60's ... a good deal of our time was spent doing "Close Order Drill" ... it would look something like this:

All the "manuvering" was based on military "moves" ... it was the discipline and the exactness of the move and the pattern that was so challenging to all (well at least to me) ... Squad Right March ... Sqaud Left March ... To The Rear March ... Eschelons ... Waterfalls ... To The Winds March ... Guide Left ... Guide Right ... DRESS CENTER DRESS!!!!

LOL, HS had nothing military about it except head director who stayed inside when we were taught drill ("I'm too old for that..."). Then go to corps and good old Barney Toomey putting us all in a line and count off by threes. Then 20 minutes of yelling commands as some of us tried not to kill each other by screwing up... "Freeze right harche..... freeze left harche, about face harche..."

Olde skool dril.... setting up by where the color guard is situated..... how they knew where to be I never figured out in the 50 yard line only days.......

"Close Order Drill":

Condon & Woods 101....:))

Elphaba

If you want to see "Old School" marching and manuvering Google "Anaheim Kingsmen" and watch the 2007 Rose Bowl performance. The drill was basically reconstructed from the 1972 show by David Weinberg and included everything; off the line, drum solo, color pre, drum solo, concert, exit and re-entry up to and including high leg lift and elbow contact on a massive company front.

OOOOOOOh Yaaaaaaaaaa!

• 2 weeks later...

Another video of a full "routine" and one of the top hornlines of the day.

Thanks Ghost, nice stuff.

I think the most impressive thing about the effort is how they all marched as one. They look the same in leg lift, horn angles, stride and motion. My favorite video is 67 Cavies and they had that down to a science.

In my early years in DC, we were never taught that and now I recall just how important that is for that total look.

That leads to perfection as I see it.

However, I don't remember everyone in my corps being that thin. :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

What are some qualities/characteristics that old drum corps drill had? Any specific drills would be fine too.

So far, I know:

-Drumline had much elevator drill on the 50.

-Long phrased drill, instead of the running around they do today.

-The "Z-Pull"

-27th Lancer's line rotation during "Dannyboy" :thumbup:/>/>/>/>

Speaking of 1990 and below, I guess their drills were more simplistic drill (that is, they were not always simple but I think more simpler than today maybe) and I think their drills were more accessible too and I detect maybe there was more emphasize on the music aspect. I don't know what it is about old school drum corps, but I tend to get sucked into watching those more. I like the deep and dark aspects of corps back then.

Edited by En929