Old School Drill

While some drills BITD were simpler, I would advise you to look at the unwinding spirals that BD did during "Free" back in 1980.

Plus you must also remember that these drills were back in the days of high leg lift.

• Like 1

The drills looked simple BITD compared to modern times, but there were elements that weren't simple at all to execute.

If you think the suicide squeeze the Hurcs pulled off back in the late 60's was easy, I suggest you try it and make it flawless.

Edited by gsksun4

The drills looked simple BITD compared to modern times, but there were elements that weren't simple at all to execute.

If you think the suicide squeeze the Hurcs pulled off back in the late 60's was easy, I suggest you try it and make it flawless.

Agree - the judging system then required the drill to be clean to score well. Today's corps would not score well under the tick system, and corps from then would not score well today.

edited for spelling

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

And done without yard lines and hash marks to guide off of......

Anyone have a Youtube of the Suicide Wheel (any year)? All I have is a recording of the crowd going apestuff at 1975 Dream and want to show my wife what was going on.

And done without yard lines and hash marks to guide off of......

Anyone have a Youtube of the Suicide Wheel (any year)? All I have is a recording of the crowd going apestuff at 1975 Dream and want to show my wife what was going on.

Thanks Jim. I guess it was the Suicide "Wheel". I tried looking for it but was looking for the 60's Hurcs version. It's hard enough to do a company front, but to have half the corps doing it back stepping isn't easy.

I did come across a 1980 27th Lancers wheel you can show the wife here, and it's done quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmoQVlQLik

Thanks Jim. I guess it was the Suicide "Wheel". I tried looking for it but was looking for the 60's Hurcs version. It's hard enough to do a company front, but to have half the corps doing it back stepping isn't easy.

I did come across a 1980 27th Lancers wheel you can show the wife here, and it's done quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmoQVlQLik

Thanks, maybe it was called both but only heard it called the wheel. Weird thng is I can still remember first time I saw it. Was talking to someone and everyone else starts going nuts and screaming.... then I looked at the field :blink: (Carlisle 75).

LOL - totally forgot about 27th and have 1975 DCI DVD at home.... :doh:

• 5 months later...

I remember doing the sunburst & Mr. Jones making us practice it & making it perfect it was the trademark drill & had to be great. It was used every year in some form or another He was a great drill instructor. The sunburst lasted the lifetime of the Troopers. Still using it modern times.

The Troopers' Sunburst is one of the all-time greatest drill moves in history. :worthy:/>

Late '70s BD's "Gates"

"The Rockford File" and other variations thereof.

SCV's "mime walk"

And there are others that I cannot think of right now.

Also the riflers doing the suicide toss over the drum majors head. That took lots of practice & guts to stand under it without cringing as they threw it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember doing the sunburst & Mr. Jones making us practice it & making it perfect it was the trademark drill & had to be great. It was used every year in some form or another He was a great drill instructor. The sunburst lasted the lifetime of the Troopers. Still using it modern times.

Edited by Troopers81
  • Like 1

Also the riflers doing the suicide toss over the drum majors head. That took lots of practice & guts to stand under it without cringing as they threw it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to correct a Trooper Alum, but, the rifle toss was *around* the Drum Major, not over his head. Rifles BITD were a lot heavier. It was still, however, close quarters and very impressive. It was always expected by the crowd and always appreciated by said crowd. :worthy::thumbup: