Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

I have bad eye's and it helps to use the larger print.

[/quote

I think I can help. Hold down your Ctrl button and use the scroll button on your mouse to make type larger/smaller in your browser.

If you are not a mouse person, use Ctrl + (Control Plus) to make larger, and Ctrl - to shrink it down again.

• Like 3

Revivals are, in my opinion, not great from an artistic perspective. That's all!

No theatre would ever produce Shakesepeare again, if that credo ruled.

I have bad eye's and it helps to use the larger print. Then add I can not type worth a darn. Also helps me catch other errors in grammer and such. ( well, some anyway)

But that is how I feel. SCV seems to have a way with these total concept shows. (Like Fiddler/Phantom etc.)

I’m sorry, wasn’t trying to be rude, just playful. I remember seeing Fiddler on the Roof on stage and saw SCV perform it on the field. I was beside myself. I saw Les Miserables on stage 20 years ago and looking forward to seeing it on the field. Here’s a playbill I kept for 40 years. I agree with you. SCV does musical well :smile:/>

70s-playbill-b.jpg

• Like 2

Certain corps get hyped...others do not.

Perhaps. But I think the hype around this show announcement has more to do with the movie than anything.

It's interesting that not all that long ago, SCV was supposed to be hyped as the "cerebral corps."

Me neither. I was just commenting on hearing two takes on the same basic music. Kind of like the 1979 DCI prelims hearing the Blue Stars, North Star, Cavies and Garfield all do "Children of Sanchez". :smile:/>/>/>

Loved SCV last year, as I have most years; it should be interesting to see what they do with the source music. C2 did a great job with their show last year, and with a year behind them, they should be even better in 2013.

Yes, I know what what you mean re. familiar music... its all in the arrangement, rendition, and performance level, of course. I recall Corps themselves doing different renditions at different stages of DCI, as the arrangers for the piece were different ie, Cadets doing WSS in '84, then in later years, the same WSS,but srranged much differently, and Phantom doing " Spartacus " theme much differenly as well btw 80's and in 2008, and dozens and dozens of other examples. I've even noticed the different interpretative arranging of Madison's Melaquena over the years, and even the difference with Cadets and BAC's version of Melaquena. And in many cases I like the disparate arrangements of the musical arranging and/ or the themed visual presentation accompanying the piece. Its all in the arranging and in its visual accompaniment. I generally tend to like familiar music, so I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the SCV rendition this year of Les Miz on the field.

Edited by BRASSO

Perhaps. But I think the hype around this show announcement has more to do with the movie than anything.

It's interesting that not all that long ago, SCV was supposed to be hyped as the "cerebral corps."

DCP is a fickle audience. There are even some who praised the return of Les Mis in this thread yet questioned it over in the DCA/C2 thread !

It will be interesting to see the spin SCV puts on this show. If their approach is from a unique angle (and not the straightforward approach many here seem to anticipate) it might be pretty cool. Otherwise...meh. We just heard BAC do a nice treatment of this material. Don't need to hear it again so soon.

Do we like this variation?
  • Like 1

I don't think anything JD Shaw does is "off the wall". He sticks to the recognisable melodies 99% of the time.

I think this show will be an easy to get Drum Corps show and therefore a real crowd pleaser.

Where it places who knows but SCV have been heading in the right direction i.e. up.

THANK YOU "WVU80"

That works Great!!!!

(I use the Mouse/Control key, way to make the print larger)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

There is still a ton of music from the musical that hasn't really been touched yet, and i think SCV could do a good job with. We haven't seen Lovely Ladies or Master of the House before, or Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. Any could work great. Come on SCV, get us some un-touched music. I know they'll use the standard songs, but I would like to see some new ones get put on the field. Maybe Stars, or Look Down. That would work as a great field entrance, like how Boston used Do You Hear the People Sing in 2011.