Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

I only have two beefs with the show.

I love it, love it, love it. However, there are two spots that catch me the wrong way. It appears that the designers are not taking musical context and situational context into account. I don't want to spoil it since it isn't "live" yet but some phrasing issues are present where the text of the source material doesn't allow breaths. I know that could be a musical decision by the designers but anyone familiar with the music will notice it. It almost shows an arrogance by the staff. And there are parts in the end that are cheesy and unnecessary when taking into account what is being portrayed.

Once vanguard does it's first public performance I will be happy to go into detail. Until then I will happily discuss through a message.

That being said the show is perfect for SCV and I would love to see them medal with this show. They definitely have the hornline aspect down. I'm not a percussionist but they seem to be cooking as well.

Best of luck to the corps.

what you hear in June isn't always what you hear in August. and visually, it may not allow for the breath

Whenever in the past I have heard someone say on DCP that such and such is " cheesy " in a show, I know that theres a very good chance that I'm probably going to love it. So I'm personally encouraged by this early preseason observation with the show with SCV.

It was a treat to hear the early standstill ; I enjoyed their movement to music in 2012 and look forward to precision, emotion, fluid motion, lyrical sound and perhaps, a story, in 2013 : D

Sounds like it'll be a big hit with fans this year. But inquiring minds will probably want to know if their Les Mis. theme for this year will be sufficiently weird enough and confusing enough to win with our current set of judges whose personal tastes in musical and visual performance, lets be frank, tends to gravitate more toward the odd and the eclectic ?

It does sound very very good.. I hope the visual is just as good too..

It was a treat to hear the early standstill ; I enjoyed their movement to music in 2012 and look forward to precision, emotion, fluid motion, lyrical sound and perhaps, a story, in 2013 : D

Same here.

Crown Phan, on 11 June 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I only have two beefs with the show.

I love it, love it, love it. However, there are two spots that catch me the wrong way. It appears that the designers are not taking musical context and situational context into account. I don't want to spoil it since it isn't "live" yet but some phrasing issues are present where the text of the source material doesn't allow breaths. I know that could be a musical decision by the designers but anyone familiar with the music will notice it. It almost shows an arrogance by the staff. And there are parts in the end that are cheesy and unnecessary when taking into account what is being portrayed.

Once vanguard does it's first public performance I will be happy to go into detail. Until then I will happily discuss through a message.

That being said the show is perfect for SCV and I would love to see them medal with this show. They definitely have the hornline aspect down. I'm not a percussionist but they seem to be cooking as well.

Best of luck to the corps.

what you hear in June isn't always what you hear in August. and visually, it may not allow for the breath

Not only that, but I don't think any corps should necessarily be beholden to the original source material (note: I've not seen/heard anything from 2013 SCV). I have no problems with a corps repurposing music, themes, content for their own purposes; in fact, I dig it when designers take a piece of music or visual idea and juxtapose it with another idea or context I hadn't thought of before.

I guess maybe for an obvious example, maybe check out the Jonathan Coulton version of Baby Got Back, which Glee used this season - he took an old school hip hop song and turned it into a folk-rock type tune. Or maybe the Dynamite Hack mellow ballad ish version of NWA's Boys in the Hood that not only musically changed the feel of the song but with their visually COMPLETED changed context.

Off hand I can't think of anything comparable in DCI (I'm sure there is a ton but I'm not thinking of any right now), but I'm all for SCV taking tunes out of context, juxtaposing charts with other charts, changing visual themes, etc. As long as their show is cohesive on its own, that's all that really matters.

I am listening now to a practice recording with the ever annoying doctor beat but, aside from the beeping this show sounds really good! hornline has wonderful intonation and the drumline is very clean!

It's gonna be a tight race this year!

I am listening now to a practice recording with the ever annoying doctor beat but, aside from the beeping this show sounds really good! hornline has wonderful intonation and the drumline is very clean!

It's gonna be a tight race this year!

lol... i was listening to the same thing with the beats. i had to try to imagine it without the beats because it kind of gave what's supposed to be a solemn show a happy tone to it. Now I can't wait to see visual!

One thing though is that the ending needs to be a bit better IMO--though I am sure it's just a placeholder for the real ending.