Dear George: Please stop.

Ah... first world, drum corps problems.

• Like 4

Oh my God, the horror. This is SUCH a dilemna and an earth shaking decision for her... and you. I hope in the end you both can put your collective heads together and figure out how to get the cherished Cadets announcements, but without the money solicitation from them. Nobody should have to put up with the horrors of a request for money donations. I can feel your pain and anquish in your lengthy post, and hope you soon find a satisfactory final solution to your angst with this.

Yeah, I kinda thought that I failed to point out how this was The Most Important Drum Corps Crisis Of Our Time, so kudos to you, sir, and my sincerest thanks, for being bright enough to pick up on it.

You are indeed a credit to smelly cymbal polish solvents everywhere, and I am humbled to be so effectively taken down by your snark-fu.

Mercy, please. I am undone.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 1

Yeah, I kinda thought that I failed to point out how this was The Most Important Drum Corps Crisis Of Our Time, so kudos to you, sir, and my sincerest thanks, for being bright enough to pick up on it.

You are indeed a credit to smelly cymbal polish solvents everywhere, and I am humbled to be so effectively taken down by your snark-fu.

<un-snark>

If she's following the various borg twitter feeds, she's not missing anything anyway. Just unsubscribe and be done with it.

</un-snark>

Set up a "rule" in your email account that filters all emails from Cadets/YEA! into subfolder. That way they're not clogging up your inbox, but you're also not missing anything and can read or delete them at your leisure.

If that doesn't work, start another thread on DCP.

• Like 2

You are way too hard on yourself. You too can become a Hollywood " smelly cymbal polish solvent ". Just get the Cadets donation request thing settled so its not hanging over your head, and I'll put in a good word for you, Neo.

Edited by BRASSO

The Cadets do seem to overdo the publicity to some extent, but in an age of instant communication, this is probably more the norm than anything else. Using an example from outside the drum corps world, I have noticed that when I buy from Amazon.com, I get fewer advertisements. When I go a month or two ordering something or downloading books on Kindle, I get bombarded with ads. Perhaps a donation along with a note that asks not to be bombarded with solicitations may help. I know it works with other charities. Also I hate the solicitations for charities that include coins, and I've sent a donation with a note stating I will no longer donate if I get solicitations with coins. It stops and I'm not a six figure donor either.

Also, when it comes to Cadets, they have been creative in financing but they've also been close to the brink of bankruptcy. In these challenging financial times, drum corps may not be the easiest sell to donors. An organization with a budget of anywhere from $500,000 to $1,000,000 that only serves 150 or so kids for a three month period would not be deemed as worthy to many a donor as let's say a year round program that serves twice as many for a quarter of the budget. Cadets may need to be aggressive in soliciting funds.

Now as far as soliciting, my favorite corps can rely on strong support from the local drum corps community and alums. They do two hard sell pitches a year, a few softer sell pitches, and send quite a few e-mails. The e-mails and mailings state how much equipment, uniforms, transportation, etc. cost the corps, and in mailings they send an envelope, but in the mailings that are not a solicitation, there's never a pitch, but my guess is that a good number of the envelopes are returned with a check. The good the corps does speaks for itself and a hard-sell pitch is not necessary.

Edited by Tim K

IT’S BUSINESS – GET OVER IT!!!

So you think you should get to watch, for “free”, the videos that were a cost to The Cadets by them needing to hire {and pay for} one (or was it two this year) videographer(s) following the corps the entire year? And, for “free”, you should get invites to free webcasts with the design team, notices about most every major thing going on in the corps the evening before they are shared with the general public … just to name of few of the FREE things you get with your subscription to enjoy this corps’ hard work.

I have no issue ignoring a barrage of emails from pretty much every business I get “free content” from (and those that got my email address by some business selling it to some SPAM factory). And the many charities I am donoating, and/or had donated, to sends me a "free" map of the world with a request for money each year along with several other "reminders" to contribute every few months.

Maybe The Cadets should go back to charging a subscription fee for this service; and then, only those of us who truly WANT to know about what’s up with the corps can start keeping the news to ourselves, like you get from most other corps.

<edit>FLASH UPDATE!

It’s funny. Because, I just went to check my email and there was one “from George”, as some might call it. It was titled “Day 5 YEA! Week of Joy” and had a snippet (with a link to full article) of an interesting story about a former snare drummer who learned the contra in the matter of weeks in order to make it into the corps!

Nice “free” content that will <satire>somehow magically appear on The Cadets’ website; and I’m pretty sure the creation of that article didn’t cost the corps a penny. Oh, and it really annoyed me because there was this tiny “donate” link in the footer of the message! So rude!!</satire>.</edit>

Edited by fifer
  • Like 2

You're kind of missing the point...

She loves the Cadets. Admires the kids that march in any corps. Even looked me in the eye and proclaimed that, in her opinion, "Angels & Demons" thoroughly deserved to win.

Unsubscribing means she misses every announcement from the corps, not just George's solicitations.

That's what the post was getting at.

So she wants to enjoy the fruits of the Organization's labor. Blogs, video feeds, articles, etc. but not want to deal with the messy "asking for money part". This sounds completely ludicrous to me If someone is personally offended that an organization is spamming them then you can unsubscribe or e-mail a complaint. But no, that is not enough, your friend wants to have her cake and eat it. She enjoys SOME of the e-mails but not all and how is that fair to the organization providing them... for free... I don't know if you noticed that Cadets have the MOST information out there than any other corps ever... ever. And your friend is personally offended when they send a lot of e-mails asking for money...

Am I missing something here? Unsubscribe or Don't get the info via e-mail. I think it's that simple. I can't believe she wants to avoid donating to the corps when she admits she loves hearing info about the corps and enjoys their video feeds... The point is, if you are enjoying their content that you donate, seems a little selfish to me to want the content without enduring money solicitations.

• Like 3

She EVEN thought Angels and Demons deserved to WIN?! She's so ahead of the curve with that one.

:) Just do what Chad said and send the emails automatically to their own folder, and then peruse them when you feel like it. Also, it seems like almost everything that's emailed also winds up on their website and on their FB page (and George's FB page).

--Chris