Is Aaron Guidry, former music writer for Crossmen writing for another

Oh man, as someone who marched three years of Guidry shows, I am so jealous of all the Colts members that have so much exciting music to look forward to. . .

No, wait. That's wrong. I meant the opposite of that. I meant they have so many years of boring, masturbatory bulls*** to look forward to. They have years of a crazy music designer who thinks his sh** don't stink and rambles on about totally nonsensical faux artistic word-vomit to look forward to. They have years of totally unoriginal reprises of melodies that everyone has heard a thousand times before, to look forward to.

The day the Crossmen got rid of Guidry was the best day of their recent history (and two years too long in the making, Fred Morrison... glad you finally realized the '09 vets were right), so I can't wait to see what the Colts do with Guidry.

It's okay... WE were the ones who actually hurt the Crossmen during those times.....

• Like 2

Perhaps with Chris Tomsa arranging this might actually work out pretty well. Guidry is listed only as the composer.

IMHO the problem at Xmen was the orchestration/arrangement and not the original material. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I disliked the compositions when he was at Bones, not just the brass orchestrations of them. Oh well, we'll see what happens with the Colts. Maybe he learned something from the experience?

• Like 1

hmmm....

Might be a good fit. I just think his stuff is so different than typical DCI shows that it has a hard time translating to the penultimate-mainstream design that is Drum Corps. Just doesn't seem like the worlds really go together. IMO.

Not only that, it's possible he hasn't had the talent around him to make his 'unique' ideas really translate to the field. Blue Devils music designs would be disastrous at Crossmen the years Guidry were there: without the vis & percussion staff to match, without the top notch instructional staff to clean, and without the membership to perform, the intent doesn't translate and we're all left with a big hot mess.

That all being said, you have to design for what you have, and you have to design with what you have to work with (membership & staff) while also maxing out the sheets. I really liked a lot of Guidry's ideas, and appreciated that they were different from the norm. I don't want to see Crossmen redo planets: there are plenty of other superior corps that have done a great job of doing a straight rendition. I don't want to see Crossmen rehash their great Metheny shows from 91 & 98. I agree that whatever he did didn't work for the Crossmen while he was there. I look forward to seeing what he does with Colts

• Like 1

IMHO the problem at Xmen was the orchestration/arrangement and not the original material. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I agree mostly with this. I think his marching band stuff was pretty fresh, but I don't think you just directly plug that style into drum corps and expect success. And I definitely don't think you do it with the Crossmen. I'm guessing that if folks removed their Guidry-with-Xmen bias and listened to his Colts stuff with an open mind, they'd be happy.

Also, for Colts staff, he's listed as the electronics composer. I didn't really see anything that said he's going to be writing the brass book, right? As long as they don't look for original works, they might be okay. I hope so for the Colts sake

If he is working with electronics only it will be fine.

Personally I don't even like his stuff for marching band. There is no impact. It's just a build to a quarter note stab. And the build usually consists of a 4 or 8 count fp crescendo.....

Hopefully they use him where he is best, with electronics. And if he composes more than that, he has to be willing to let their brass arranger actually arrange it for drum corps. And if he is willing to do that, then he is a changed man. And good for him.

• Like 3

If I'm not mistaken, didnt he do a lot of the writing for some of the Cirques? Wanna say Mystere? Always enjoyed that music and as a professional in the entertainment business, would be a dream job working with him on one of those productions.

More recently, he played a big role in putting together Cirque's new show Zarkana, performed at the Aria in Vegas.