Glassmen go inactive for 2013

I agree with those who feel sad about Glassmen not fielding a corps in 2013. I also agree with those who believe that bowing out now is responsible. When Glassmen detailed their financial difficulties rather frankly last fall, I thought that it could have gone either way for Glassmen. If Glassmen had been able to field a corps in 2013, it would not have surprised me, but raising $300,000 to pay for past debts while also raising funds for this year would have been a huge challenge. Glassmen was lauded last summer for welcoming so many members of Teal Sound and with Teal Sound members helping to fill gaps in their ranks, the corps had a much needed boost. What I am wondering now is whether the board learned from former Teal Sound members just how devastating it can be for a corps to fold during the tour and whether this made them decide not to take a risk and hope things will work out.

Glassmen had a disappointing year in 2011, at least placement wise, which seemed to lead to recruiting problems in 2012. Perhaps a year away will help the corps not only help the corps restructure financially but also help them recapture what made them consistent finalists (sixteen times between 1993-2010), and before we mourn their loss, remember that we didn't see the Troopers in 2006, only the most optimistic believed we'd see them again, and not only did they return, they made finals in 2009. Glassmen have always been a corps with a good reputation and have a history of integrity. Hopefully all of this works in their favor.

• Like 9

This is a real shame.

It also sucks that they waited this long to announce. I feel bad for the kids that may have gone there for their first choice and may have missed opportunities in other corps.

I commend the board for making the responsible decision, but these types of decisions don't come overnight. They should have made this decision before now.

• Like 2

This is a real shame.

It also sucks that they waited this long to announce. I feel bad for the kids that may have gone there for their first choice and may have missed opportunities in other corps.

I commend the board for making the responsible decision, but these types of decisions don't come overnight. They should have made this decision before now.

I'm not privy to the board's thought process, but they set the end of the year deadline back in September when they posted their Save the Glassmen campaign. I guess they felt there was a chance they could pull off a minor miracle and field a corps this year if the support came. It did, but not enough.

Also, considering the numbers I heard of prospects at the first two camps (90s and 70s), it sounds like a lot of potential members had already decided to try other corps based on the September announcement alone.

This is a real shame.

While I certainly agree with the sentiment, I think the BoD acted with as much immediacy as possible considering a recent new appointment, holidays, and waiting to see how the fundraising campaign played out.

More importantly, I suspect that anyone who attended G camps was well aware of the possibility. While it may not have been the best timing to announce that the organization was 300k in debt right before auditions, at least prospective members knew about it going in. Those who showed up anyway are to be commended.

sad to see. if troop could come back, so can Glassmen. Best of luck

• Like 3

Music City is still accepting applications for the horn line and color guard, and we would be happy to waive the application fee for anyone who auditioned for Glassmen this year. Music City has a shorter season than most, but the membership fee is less as well. The next camp is January 18-20. You can check out a highlights video from the December camp

. More info and application can be found at www.MusicCityDrumCorps.org.
  • Like 2

If you know of ANY openings in ANY corps, whether it be DCI World Class, DCI Open Class, DCA Open Class, DCA Class A, please post it here and/or message me so I can forward that info on to the people that need it most now.

Sorry to hear about this and hope that their members can land someplace.

There are openings at Oregon Crusaders in the Front Ensemble, Brass, and Color Guard.

Contact the Director, Mike Quillen, at director@oregoncrusaders.org

• Like 1