Glassmen go inactive for 2013

Moving forward... where are all those auditionees and vets going to march!? If only they had made this decision 3 months earlier those kids would have made plans to audition for another corps... now??? :sad:/>/> :sad:/>/>

While I know it wasn't their intent, this is very true. Too bad for those who auditioned, especially vets. It would have been much easier on everyone involved had the made this announcement in early November. However, I know these are very complex issue so I don't want to come across as overly critical.

• Like 1

While I know it wasn't their intent, this is very true. Too bad for those who auditioned, especially vets. It would have been much easier on everyone involved had the made this announcement in early November. However, I know these are very complex issue so I don't want to come across as overly critical.

This is just a mere question, not a blame game: For those auditioning in November/December, did they not have the responsibility to factor in the dire financial state of the Glassmen (in respect to their $300,000 deficit announcement) and therefore should have also known that there was a 'huge risk' in auditioning for the corps?

Edited by Stu

Any vet is going to give the organization a lot of rope, and support the org by showing up. Also, the org didn't know three months ago what the outcome was going to be; of course they are going to try to make it work, so they ran the big 300K fund raising drive. We can only conclude that they didn't meet the target, so they made this decision. There's no mystery, and they are not "morally wrong" either. All criticism needs to be focused on the time leading up to the end of Finals 2012. If it's just as simple as "bingo died, so we did too," then there's nothing more to say. Move on. Find a different source, or cease operations.

• Like 5

This is just a mere question, not a blame game: For those auditioning in November/December, did they not have the responsibility to factor in the dire financial state of the Glassmen (in respect to their $300,000 deficit announcement) and therefore should have also known that there was a 'huge risk' in auditioning for the corps?

People have often commented that it is a miracle that Phantom Regiment has survived due to financial constraints. George Hopkins may be a "Facebook" friend of mine, but he's never called to chat about finances of the Cadets, but they've had financial woes and some feared they would never march. In a different economic climate, Glassmen may have raised the necessary funds. Given drum corps history, debt may not be viewed a huge risk as much as a reality. There have been some World and Open Class corps that have folded due to poor financial planning, but that's not the same as having a revenue source dry up as is the case of the Glassmen.

Last summer I had the opportunity to watch Glassmen practice prior to Allentown and the Indy parade. Though not making finals in Indy did not catch the volunteers off guard, they were a bit disappointed, some believing that if the season had been one week longer, things may have been different since they made improvements late in the season. These same volunteers also sang the praises of the kids in the corps. Many of volunteers were either parents of kids marching or love working with young people, so I'd expect the compliments. They claimed all could have marched elsewhere but chose the Glassmen and planned on returning again. Judging from what they said they were all excellent students, very motivated, involved in college, church, and civic activities, etc. Since I've always found kids in drum corps to be highly motivated, a trait this generation shares with old schoolers, this is no surprise. So my guess would be that returning vets probably felt a loyalty to the corps and believed they were part of the solution, not taking a risk and this is something that appeals to young people in general, especially idealistic young people. My guess (and hope for that matter) is that they'll find a home with another corps. Colts seem to be of a similar make up and have a strong sense of family, so they'd be a great choice. BAC, Crown, Spirit and other corps that have vets who often age out after marching 3-plus years would also be good choices, especially if there are openings. Madison has extended a welcome as have many Open Class corps.

One thing that has carried corps through the toughest of financial times has been a strong alumni organization. Looking at Phantom, they are a very strong alumni based group. (Cadets are too but they found the answer to just be changing the name of the group ;op ) The Glassmen have lacked any type of alumni involvement or association. It's taken shape very quick over the past 6 months and has already become its own non profit and will continue to mak a difference for the corps. It just has come a little late for this season. The alumni of the Glassmen are determined to make sure future members exist, and receive the same experience of a lifetime we had. Glassmen will be okay. There's too many people that care too much for it not be.

• Like 3

I'm afraid we're starting to see a trend now. It costs WAY too much to field a corps and it's only going to get higher...passing the costs to the members isn't going to be possible down the road. Something is going to have to change whether it's go to regional touring (to reduce touring costs) and combine for finals for those that quality (or want to/can make the trip) or something else. (almost like the BOA model...yes I said it)

To be competitive now adays, corps have to have the best of everything, uniforms, instruments, electronics, etc. costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. While I know this is flashy and looks good, I would take more corps with less "flash" then less corps any day. So how did it get this way? What is really the objective here? Education, experience, ego, winning, etc.? What can be done to keep this from happening?

Too many corps try to tour and be like the Blue Devils or Cadets when they shouldn't be. How did it get this way? I'd rather have 30 Glassmen's and Pioneer's (nothing against either btw) than just 5 world class flashy corps which is what it may become down the road if they/we don't take a hard look at what the trend is becoming.

I think DCI needs to look at lots of different options and brainstorm different ideas. I'm not saying reinvent the wheel here, but for the success of the activity itself and corps no matter what their budget is, to succeed, educate, and entertain. Look into smaller indoor performing corps groups (touring in winterguard/WGI, etc. type shows), look into ways to let smaller groups (regardless of budget) compete or perform even if it's just at 1 show, you might even have some high school or collegiate groups pop up here and there which would be great. Have a class for all instrumentation (yes I said it), have a class for the "elite" corps with money flowing out of their rear ends, have a class for high school/collegiate corps, eliminate judging at most shows (to save costs as well) or maybe just do a ranking system with 2 judges at most shows (until large regional/final events).

some of these ideas may be ridiculous, but corps dropping out every year due to the expense is too. It's time we do something

What are some of your ideas?

• Like 6

I think DCI needs to look at lots of different options and brainstorm different ideas. I'm not saying reinvent the wheel here, but for the success survival of the activity itself and corps no matter what their budget is, to succeed, educate, and entertain.

Only change I'd make (see strikethru/underline) for the good of both circuits because DCI isn't the only one hitting this.

• Like 1

Only change I'd make (see strikethru/underline) for the good of both circuits because DCI isn't the only one hitting this.

good point... I'm starting to think the competitive nature of these activities push groups too much to be like the top ones when they can't, and then they go belly up

Very sad, I very much enjoyed being in the Glassmen Arc before the Indy Parade last year.

By not competing in 2013 they've given themselves a chance of making it in 2014... a chance in 2014 is a heck of a lot better than no chance at all which is what they'd of had this year if they'd set off on tour.

good point... I'm starting to think the competitive nature of these activities push groups too much to be like the top ones when they can't, and then they go belly up

Also the problem of a corps trying to rebuild in this age when lot of members can only march one season or when the cost of being in a top corps compared to a rebuilding or lesser corps are fairly close. Just makes it harder to find those potential members. Feeling can be: "why march in a non-top corps in my one and only year" or "why spend roughly the same amount of money and be less successful". And the "amount of money" quote was given by a few DCPers a few years back when I asked why people didn't march a "lesser corps" if they missed the cut of their dream corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari