Glassmen have an opportunity to reinvent the way things are done

This was just an idea someone threw out, it is not the plan of the Glassmen going forward.

One of the biggest issues I can see with that old school style with volunteers and homemade things is that while back in the day that was a good option for kids, high school programs have far exceeded this. If kids are going to pay all that money to do this activity and at a high level, it needs to give an experience they can't get at their high school.

Exactly. This is why drum corps is what it is today. It wouldn't have strayed away from the all-volunteer format if there wasn't a reason for it!

• Like 1

Exactly. This is why drum corps is what it is today. It wouldn't have strayed away from the all-volunteer format if there wasn't a reason for it!

I'm not so sure about that. Spending is part of the reason for incurring debt. This idea about there must be a reason for spending so I'll just trust them is part of the mentality that has gotten our whole country into debt too. If there's debt, that means someone has spent beyond their means. So, I wouldn't put so much faith in that way. We don't know for sure where all the money is going or whether the excess spending was necessary or not. But, based on many things that were said in this thread, I think there's a lot of unnecessary spending going on throughout drum corps and I tend to believe the opposite.

But anyway, I'm done with this topic. There has been a lot of great things said here from both sides. I just wish the Glassmen well and I hope they get back up and running. I myself would volunteer for them if I lived in Toledo. I personally wouldn't want their money because I'd want them to use that money in other places, save it, or so. Taking their money would make me feel guilty and make me think I'm part of the reason they're incurring debt. So, I wouldn't.

Edited by En929

The bottom line is that the current Drum Corps model has dreadfully failed. For back in the youth volunteer days, DC was part of the American Landscape. Every city had at least one drum corps. Virtually everyone had someone in a Drum Corps or knew one or more people in a drum corps. Everyone hailed the activity including high school teachers to mayors to even Presidents Truman to Reagan until the current high business model was evolved. Cities had entire festivities dedicated to their local drum corps competition. Yes, there were enough corps within a 50 mile diameter to hold local contests.

Now, DC is virtually non-existant. We've gone from a few thousand corps on the day of the IC Reveries 1966 sit down, to at most 40 corps. Some states that had a hundred corps now have none. The elitist mentality DC has established has destroyed the activity. DC is just about he only artistic endeavor that has copyright police preventing any distribution of drum corps performances without being paid.

DC is all about big money now. And the on field product just doesn't have a mass market audience. The only hope to save drum corps is to go back to being a youth activity that truly is a non-profit organization.

Edited by CaballarosJr.

But again, that product you're looking for already exists at the high school level. DC had become the major leagues of the "sport". The problem is that the corporate sponsorship needed to keep major league sports afloat isn't currently being found by DCI or its corps. Even basketball teams in the NBA will soon be wearing patches on their jerseys of sponsors. Soccer has done this for years. I believe if DCI and its corps want to be major league, they must truly be major league. Want to tell me Ford doesn't have an extra car hauler or two with a hydraulic back door that they wouldn't be able to donate if you kept their name on everything, especially the truck so they get 14,000 miles of advertising out of it and connected to a "youth" activity. Same reason companies sponsor the crap out of little league baseball to the point it's on espn and well watched. DCI was starting to head that way, but missed the mark. If DCI survives, it must survive on a corporate level while masking itself in the non profit sector, or it simply doesn't survive. The product that one was that people are pining for is called high school marching band. Every city has one, some are better than others, and kids with no knowledge can join and learn. DCI can't get that market. They have to provide something new.

It would be very cool for Glassmen to hire Dan Acheson again. He really has the skill to take a rough situation (like DCI had in the 90's) and turn it around.

I would love to see him back there and see what he could do with the current group.

DanielRay, you clearly understand the old saying: "Give them a ladder with which they can climb down off their high-horse".

Paraphrasing Mike Boo in another post: "Great job, Dan Acheson! You really persevered through some tough times and did some great things while at DCI. You're fired. But, Hey!, we hear the folks in Toledo would LOVE to have you back! Now that job may be a little different kind of challenge for you and, oh yeah, that nice salary you've been getting from DCI?, well, don't expect much from the Glassmen folks for a few years. But hey!, you're only 52 and in 10 years in Toledo you could be right back to making the big bucks again, just like George! And don't you still have family in Toledo? See, isn't this great? I'm so glad we were able to work this out! Can I have your keys, please?"

Edited by garfield