Time for a Revolution in Footwear

Recently, I've been looking into marching shoes a bit. I've come to the conclusion that 100% of them are absolutely horrible.

Not only do they look bad, can't be all that comfortable or be designed to support the current athletic demand.

On top of this, they are not surface specific. In all field sports, athletes change footwear based on surface type and conditions. This should absolutely be the case in drum corps.

There is enough of a market with bands, where there is more than enough commercial proof, that it is past the time for these homegrown marching shoe brands. Something better is not only possible, it should now be required. Corps should also rehearse in the same footwear they perform in. If it isn't good enough to rehearse in, how can it be good enough to perform in????

So, with this in mind, I threw together what I might imagine a first pass (hope evolution of this would become much more sophisticated) at a hypothetical Nike design for Blue Devils - grass and turf options (corps should use both during the season, change for surface type).

Only real change here would be dark sole on turf option.

nikebdgrass1.png

nikebdgrass2.png

nikebdgrass3.png

nikebdgrass4.png

nikebdgrass5.png

nikebdgrass6.png

nikebdgrass7.png

nikebdgrass8.png

nikebdturf8.png

nikebdturf7.png

nikebdturf6.png

nikebdturf5.png

nikebdturf4.png

nikebdturf3.png

nikebdturf2.png

Edited by danielray
  • Like 9

System Blue Nikes? No thank you please.

I've always though a corps could just select something already on the market and each member could buy a pair or two to bring on tour. Practice in whatever you want, and maybe do the run thru a more worn pair of "show shoes". I think a turf cleat might work well, especially on a slick surface.

• Like 4

As much as people rag on them... I really don't have a problem marching in plain old Dinkles. Only thing that sucks is standing still for a while... but that hurts wearing the best sneakers you can find.

And really there is no problem... nothing needs to be designed, because I think everything you might need is already on the market.

But if a corps wishes to make their own show shoe... go for it. Just what we need to be doing... spending more money.

• Like 1

You need a hobby.

Seems I have one now. :-)

Corps should have multiple shoes for multiple surfaces? Aren't we spending enough money as it is?

Not advocating more spending, but exploring wider opportunities for sponsorship.

All this takes is approaching the right contact in the right company to get the ball rolling. The numbers are there.

Nike and all other major brands make cheeleading shoes. Yet, how many more kids are there out there in scholastic marching bands compared to cheerleading?

What about sports like lacrosse?

2267046111.jpg

These uniforms for University of Oregon were designed and produced by Nike and provided for free to the group.

Seems it is only a matter of time before Nike and others get into this game. They'd be sort of stupid not to. Drum corps should be very aggressively going after this market (psst... Oregon Crusaders?).

If you're not yet convinced this is coming... watch this:

These are out in spring and will be around $100. Wondering which guard will use them first.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 4

Seems I have one now. :-)

:tongue:

Not advocating more spending, but exploring wider opportunities for sponsorship.

Nike by Cesario?

• Like 1

Now if you dipped them in warm chocolate...

Hey; didn't we used to have a brand of marching shoes named Flam Master?

I can honestly say I've never been uncomfortable in show shoes, and think they all look good in a uniform. If you're going to go about designing a shoe, design a shoe for rehearsal that doesn't cost a lot of money. But there's nothing wrong with current marching shoes

Let's clear up some points here:

Finding ways to improve the quality of life for the performers is never a bad idea, and never something that indicates you "need a new hobby." I know Mr. Boo isn't the sort to make mean-spirited remarks, but it merits saying that the community at large shouldn't be hostile to ideas like this.

There are most definitely improvements to be made to current marching footwear. Even if you've never felt uncomfortable after wearing thin-soled show shoes in the lot, or rolled an ankle because the running shoes your staff advised you buy didn't offer lateral support, others have and will continue to do so.

• Like 2