G7 Update

LOL, by the sound of things, the DCI circuit is really going to start kicking ### and taking names after they get rid of all this G7 dead weight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the G7 idea either but, seriously, I've seen some pretty pie-in-the-sky comments from the other side of the fence on this as well. It seems like the trend is emotion reigning over reason.

Lets be real, The G7 won't go anywhere. They've tried this TWICE already and were bailed out by DCI both times with a compromise because they didn't have the ability to materialize their threats.What is more likely a possibility is that they will fail yet a third time, create more division than the first two times and the activity will cease to exist forever. Good work, guys. Can't have your way, kill it.

Edited by stevedb1975

With respect, I think you may be talking yourself into an artifical viewpoint here. The G7 *are* the big draw - I don't think that's even really open to debate.

If you are asking me that if we had a Championship next year in Indy with these 7 Corps only ,Mike, that they would out " draw " last years DCI Finals attendance levels, I would say.... " no ". Not a chance, in my opinion. I 'd say they'd have LESS fans as a matter of fact. Several of the non TOC local shows from last year had MORE fans in attendance than did a couple of the TOC shows did. Thats just a fact.

I would be willing to wager that a G7 Championship Finals attendance would be LESS as a draw that what DCI draws now to its Finals. So I disagree with the premise we hear in some quarters that the G7 are THE draw for fans. I don't believe that the G7 could draw more than 12,000 at any of their field competition shows as a matter of fact, including their own Championship Finals show competition. If they'd like to try it, good luck to them.

Edited by BRASSO

I saw the Blast! touring show last winter in NJ.... it played to a full house at this particular venue. I agree, they are alive and well.

Same here, at the State in Easton last spring.

They've been the top corps for many years now, and in BD/Cavs/Cadets/PR/SCV case, been in the top corps for decades and decades. It's hardly hurt attendance at shows they're going to be at. In fact, folks often skip early corps just to come see them. Murfreesboro has had them for how many years now, and there's not exactly been a drop off of fans.

With respect, I think you may be talking yourself into an artifical viewpoint here. The G7 *are* the big draw - I don't think that's even really open to debate. Now, if/once they go do MIM, the real question will be can the next "top 7" in DCI replicate the previous ones' successes? And can MIM, once cut off from DCI's brand identity, continue to reap the marchers trained by the other DCI corps long-term and keep the quality at a point that makes them such an attractive product?

Mike

Yes, but there is a HUGE difference seeing these 7 groups compete together at a half dozen events each year vs. competing at 30 consecutive events with the same 7 groups. At least the DCI tour mixes it up and we get to see various head-to-head matchups with non G-7 corps as well as interim periods without seeing these 7 going at it all together. Being able to build the suspense and looking forward to Group A vs. Group B (and through in Group C) in 2 weeks from now, rather than tonight and tomorrow and the next night, all showcasing Group A vs. B vs. C vs. D vs. E vs. F vs. G every single night.... is certainly more appealing to me (and I know other drum corps fans with the same feeling).

• Like 2

Could someone give us a history lesson of the years past as to when the '7' were ousted from the BOD? A little bird informed me this all started back when the Star of Indiana fell apart and the then big Director Jim Mason bucked the system. Then the other Corps were ousted from the BOD, while the new board took over control of DCI.

I've only been a FAN of DCI since around 2007, but am slowly learning the drama that has unfolded within this organization. And the reason I have become such a fan is at the power that these '7' corps have kept producing over the years and kept me coming back and back for more.

But if someone could fill us all in to what happened around the fall of Star of Indiana and why those corps were ousted in the first place, might shine more light on this new drama that has risen! LOL

Just Someone put the Crossmen Executive Director in charge of DCI - Wait 5 years and all of this #### will finally work.....

• Like 1

Could someone give us a history lesson of the years past as to when the '7' were ousted from the BOD? A little bird informed me this all started back when the Star of Indiana fell apart and the then big Director Jim Mason bucked the system. Then the other Corps were ousted from the BOD, while the new board took over control of DCI.

I've only been a FAN of DCI since around 2007, but am slowly learning the drama that has unfolded within this organization. And the reason I have become such a fan is at the power that these '7' corps have kept producing over the years and kept me coming back and back for more.

But if someone could fill us all in to what happened around the fall of Star of Indiana and why those corps were ousted in the first place, might shine more light on this new drama that has risen! LOL

Ok......

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/069/300/1283378392883.jpg

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

or...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/173/576/Wat8.jpg

• Like 1

Um, since no one else is answering, let me start....

First, there is no connection between the two.

Second, neither were "ousted". Star of Indiana just decided to do something else after the 1993 season, and left DCI. They went on to partner with Canadian Brass, and then develop a stage show best known as "Blast".

As for the G7....helps to understand that DCI is governed by the directors of the member corps, but they generally only meet and vote once a year. They all vote on rule changes, but for most other business, they elect six of their own to join three non-corps-directors on the Executive BOD. All of the G7 are still actively voting members of DCI; however, none of them currently serve on the Executive Board. As I understand it, none of the G7 directors have even run for election to the Executive Board since the events of May 2010 (someone want to elaborate on that for me, please?).

• Like 3

Hate to disagree with you here, Mike, but there is no empirical evidence to suggest that the G7 *are* the draw. There's only supposition by some. There are two posts in here somewhere by two TEP's that suggest their show attendance is NOT affected by line-up (disclosure: one of those posts is mine). While hardly conclusive, the facts presented by these two TEPs are the ONLY empirical proof ever presented one way or another.

While your opinion may be the true, factual one, I have yet to see any hard data that backs up that belief.

Just to be clear

Are you saying it's more probably that shows without Blue Devils, SCV, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, or Cadets would draw more fans than a show that has none of those shows?

I know you aren't explicitly saying that, but I think it takes mountains of supposition to say it wouldn't matter.

I have known people who have run shows annually for a long time (actually, a few different people), and I have heard that years without a "Top 6" corps or Championship winning corps produced less gate & concession $ than years they did. In fact, I used to work with someone who ran a local show for three years.

* One year the highest placing corps was only a Top 10 corps, with the rest of the line-up filled with semi-finalists, quarter-finalists, and Open Class corps.

* Year two had one Top 6/former Champion, and the same exact line-up from the previous season. My friend said the second year, with what they called "a slightly better line-up," made more money than the year before. albeit not a great amount. That show-runner was convinced that it was because of the former Champion, and even commented that the stands really filled up a corps or two before the 'headliner.'

* Year three had the defending Champion, two other former Champions, and almost the same line-up otherwise as the previous two years (i.e. one or two more lower-tiered finalists, a few non-finalist World Class & several Open Class corps). That year the show made significantly more, and he was 100% convinced it made more because of the 'top level' headliners.

He stopped hosting it after the third year.

I talked to another person who had been involved in the activity for decades, and has run many shows over the years. I once asked him about the financials of running a show, and when I asked what kind of profit they organizer made his immediate, non-flinching response was "it all depends on who's performing." He then rattled off some examples of figures based on what corps were there: this was years ago, almost a decade, so I don't remember what he said exactly. But he did say things that were consistent with my example above, but he used corps names. For example (and these are totally made up figures), something like: if you have SCV, Boston, Troopers, PC, and Open Class Corps figure $8k. If you have Cadets, Crown, Cavaliers, Boston, PC and open class corps figure $10k. Add Blue Devils figure $13k.

You're right that there is 'empirical proof' if corps made up of the top achieving corps would outdraw a show full of lower-level finalists and non-flinalists. There's also no empirical proof that Obama would have been able to beat Donal Trump for President, but that is a pretty good bet he would have.