G7 Update

I need to correct you on your interpretation of that quote. If you go back and watch the video, it is clear

that what they were discussing in that men's room, is that the all of the performing Corps were the act - not

the VFW/AL , who were running the shows. What they were frustrated with - as spoken of by Don Warren - was how the VFW/Al were taking the lion's share of the money from shows and paying out very little to the performing Corps.

Correct. Warren and Jones couldn't justify why the corps put in all the effort and the VFW kept all the money, except for the pittance that was paid out to the corps on a rapidly descending scale. At one time, first place won just a few hundred dollars. The lower placing corps in Finals got enough to barely pay for gas to get from their hotels to the contest site.

Possible outcomes....

Possible realistic outcome 1 - DCI stick to their guns and call the G7s bluff. The G7 admit defeat (or at least keep quiet about everything that's gone on which equates to the same thing when you have an ego like The Hop). 2013 pans out as currently planned. The limited MiM tour runs alongside the regular DCI tour. Publicly, everyone's happy.

Possible realistic outcome 2 - DCI stick to their guns and call the G7s bluff. The G7 leave DCI and go it alone. They hold 24 YEA sanctioned shows with at least 5 of the 7 competing at each show. DCI saves 75% of its 2013 scheduled shows and continues the regular tour without the G7. The G7 ask DCI if they can compete in finals week (for the sake of the activity), of course DCI don't let them so we have the real possibility of a new champion.

Possible realistic outcome 3 - DCI give in and the G7 get the 7-5 voting structure on the board. The G7 take more of the pie at the expense of the non G7 corps. They get stronger and the others get weaker until some great names eventually have to downsize or fold.

Fantasy not likely outcome 1 - The 7 G7 corps directors are publicly beheaded and their heads stuck on spikes outside LOS as a warning to others.

Fantasy not likely outcome 2 - At the first meeting of the new board "The Hop" decrees that hence forth no one is to look him in the eye ever again and they must address him as sire. He keeps Dan Acheson as his muse and renames him Jeremiah Firecracker.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Possible outcomes....

Possible realistic outcome 1 - DCI stick to their guns and call the G7s bluff. The G7 admit defeat (or at least keep quiet about everything that's gone on which equates to the same thing when you have an ego like The Hop). 2013 pans out as currently planned. The limited MiM tour runs alongside the regular DCI tour. Publicly, everyone's happy.

Possible realistic outcome 2 - DCI stick to their guns and call the G7s bluff. The G7 leave DCI and go it alone. They hold 24 YEA sanctioned shows with at least 5 of the 7 competing at each show. DCI saves 75% of its 2013 scheduled shows and continues the regular tour without the G7. The G7 ask DCI if they can compete in finals week (for the sake of the activity), of course DCI don't let them so we have the real possibility of a new champion.

Possible realistic outcome 3 - DCI give in and the G7 get the 7-5 voting structure on the board. The G7 take more of the pie at the expense of the non G7 corps. They get stronger and the others get weaker until some great names eventually have to downsize or fold.

Fantasy not likely outcome 1 - The 7 G7 corps directors are publicly beheaded and their heads stuck on spikes outside LOS as a warning to others.

Fantasy not likely outcome 2 - At the first meeting of the new board "The Hop" decrees that hence forth no one is to look him in the eye ever again and they must address him as sire. He keeps Dan Acheson as his muse and renames him Jeremiah Firecracker.

Number one is most likely to happen. Number two is what I most would like to see. If number three happens, I'll continue to follow the performances of Blue Knights but I won't spend another dime on DCI.

• Like 1

Correct. Warren and Jones couldn't justify why the corps put in all the effort and the VFW kept all the money, except for the pittance that was paid out to the corps on a rapidly descending scale. At one time, first place won just a few hundred dollars. The lower placing corps in Finals got enough to barely pay for gas to get from their hotels to the contest site.

And didn't the VFW call its show "Million Dollar Pageant of Drums"? Talk about rubbing salt in the wound of a crappy payout..... but it sounded good to the audience anyway. :thumbdown: Not to mention the "Combine/DCI" folks wanted to get away from a scoring system heavily based on military marching and.... inspection..... IOW more control over the scoring system.

Been reading NanciDs blog that has DCNs from ca 1962-1967. Same reasons for creation of DCA few years before....

You are seriously giving these guys way too much credit. Drum corps has gotten expensive due to DCI directors, staff, and judges wanting to keep up with all the modern and relevant design trends. Surely you aren't suggesting some drum corps illuminati had a meeting where they decided "lets make all of these rules over the next five years. Then it will be even more expensive running corps, which will hurt those of us with weaker finances, but it will someday kill off ever other corps not in this syndicate," and then twirled their mustaches.

I'm not going to debate the argument that these same directors have not helped themselves by pushing the activity to a state where it costs millions of dollars annually to compete at the highest level for a Championship. But to suggest that this is a super well thought out and executed plan masterminded by guys who can barely formulate cohesive grammatically correct/good spelling word documents is kinda funny

funny,.............but true,...

Drum corps has gotten expensive due to DCI directors, staff, and judges wanting to keep up with all the modern and relevant design trends.

Not quite. Drum corps in DCI has gotten much more expensive because the costs involved in travel have skyrocketed. Bus rental, fuel cost, and insurance are FAR greater than salaries and equipment costs.

Really, it's not even close.

• Like 2

My intent was to hear from the kids that are marching NOW and not a bunch of ticked off Dino's...hey I am older too. I thought it would be a fair thing to hear from them.

I'm young, I've marched before. I hope to stay around DCI for several years to come. I don't see this proposal as moving in a direction that is good for the activity, on the basis of the historical pattern and claims made by these directors. I am in no way completely representative of my generation, but I think it would be fair to say most of my friends would prefer to see a healthy activity as a whole.

In the sense that the revenues generated by the drum corps should be returned to the drum corps rather than being siphoned off by the VFW and American Legion, yes.

In the sense that the revenues should be siphoned off from the corps with lower competitive placements (I will not conflate that with the successful corps, and neither should you) to benefit the corps who place higher on the field, not at all. I interpret the motivations of DCI's founders as being to create an environment where drum corps (plural) could flourish. Of course they expected their corps to benefit, but I doubt they wanted that at the expense of the corps around them, which is the point.