G7 Update

DCP should sell rotten fruit in the stands to throw at the members of the G7 corps. Why hold back? Let's make sure the message is received!

I'm sorry your fave corps is in the "7".

[/size]

This is utter nonsense (and why these threads rapidly devolve into a theater of the absurd).

never mind, it's not worth it.

Edited by HockeyDad

IMO if and when the G7 breaks completely, they'd do so in such way that ensures the new circuit replaces DCI as the acknowledged center of drum corps -- not competes with it.

If that's true I wonder why they don't have the courage to leave. Must be because they fear it will turn out not to be true.

If that's true I wonder why they don't have the courage to leave. Must be because they fear it will turn out not to be true.

Most of the show sponsors have relationships with DCI not Corps Directors. I'd be interested in learning how many show competitions the G7 intends to put on in their summer tour if they voluntarily leave or are booted out ( 30 ? ), with their own show sponsors and venues found for their shows, and what they'll charge for ticket prices with the shows they set up around the country. And with the same 7 Corps competing all the time,having the same 7 Corps compete for their own G7 quasi USA "national" Junior Drum Corps championship each year sure would be unappealing after a year or two it would seem to me. But I really shouldn't assume anything, but its worth speculating on anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

And with the same 7 Corps competing all the time,having the same 7 Corps compete for their own G7 quasi USA "national" Junior Drum Corps championship each year sure would be unappealing after a year or two it would seem to me.

They've been the top corps for many years now, and in BD/Cavs/Cadets/PR/SCV case, been in the top corps for decades and decades. It's hardly hurt attendance at shows they're going to be at. In fact, folks often skip early corps just to come see them. Murfreesboro has had them for how many years now, and there's not exactly been a drop off of fans.

With respect, I think you may be talking yourself into an artifical viewpoint here. The G7 *are* the big draw - I don't think that's even really open to debate. Now, if/once they go do MIM, the real question will be can the next "top 7" in DCI replicate the previous ones' successes? And can MIM, once cut off from DCI's brand identity, continue to reap the marchers trained by the other DCI corps long-term and keep the quality at a point that makes them such an attractive product?

Mike

For the top corps, uniforms for the corps proper do not cost them anything. Guard uniforms are an expense the corps must absorb. Larger guards mean more expense. Uniform changes mean more expense.

Instruments depends on your vendor contract. You either buy at a discount and sell them used (there is a cost to the corps for this option, though it is not all that significant relative to the cost of full ownership), or they borrower equipment and return it to the manufacturer. If you purchase and sell the equipment, there is a cost for additional members - particularly if you are adding tubas. It is next to impossible to purchase tubas and sell them for a profit.

If members are paying around 40% of the cost of participation, the more members added, the more money the corps must raise through other means.

The primary driver is the need to move to a larger bus. Once you make the move, filling every seat with a dues paying member makes sense. If the size is limited so that the smaller busses can be used, there is substantial cost savings. Once the limit is raised, corps cannot choose to not grow - they must to remain competitive. If the limit were set at 128, that would level the competitive landscape, and all corps could move to a smaller bus size and save money. If a corps wanted to choose to lease the large busses even though they didn't need the space, they could do so. But there would not be competitive pressures to do so.

There are plenty of 45 passenger busses available for lease, so this is not an issue.

Or fill the seats with the staff & lose the staff bus.

• Like 1

IMO if and when the G7 breaks completely, they'd do so in such way that ensures the new circuit replaces DCI as the acknowledged center of drum corps -- not competes with it.

That would be a neat trick, considering that they have already attempted this very same absurdity TWICE and failed miserably. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, expecting different results, expecting different results, expecting different results, expecting different results...

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 2

LOL, by the sound of things, the DCI circuit is really going to start kicking ### and taking names after they get rid of all this G7 dead weight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the G7 idea either but, seriously, I've seen some pretty pie-in-the-sky comments from the other side of the fence on this as well. It seems like the trend is emotion reigning over reason.

• Like 1

They've been the top corps for many years now, and in BD/Cavs/Cadets/PR/SCV case, been in the top corps for decades and decades. It's hardly hurt attendance at shows they're going to be at. In fact, folks often skip early corps just to come see them. Murfreesboro has had them for how many years now, and there's not exactly been a drop off of fans.

With respect, I think you may be talking yourself into an artifical viewpoint here. The G7 *are* the big draw - I don't think that's even really open to debate. Now, if/once they go do MIM, the real question will be can the next "top 7" in DCI replicate the previous ones' successes? And can MIM, once cut off from DCI's brand identity, continue to reap the marchers trained by the other DCI corps long-term and keep the quality at a point that makes them such an attractive product?

Mike

Hate to disagree with you here, Mike, but there is no empirical evidence to suggest that the G7 *are* the draw. There's only supposition by some. There are two posts in here somewhere by two TEP's that suggest their show attendance is NOT affected by line-up (disclosure: one of those posts is mine). While hardly conclusive, the facts presented by these two TEPs are the ONLY empirical proof ever presented one way or another.

While your opinion may be the true, factual one, I have yet to see any hard data that backs up that belief.

• Like 3