G7 Update

Could someone give us a history lesson of the years past as to when the '7' were ousted from the BOD? A little bird informed me this all started back when the Star of Indiana fell apart and the then big Director Jim Mason bucked the system. Then the other Corps were ousted from the BOD, while the new board took over control of DCI.

I've only been a FAN of DCI since around 2007, but am slowly learning the drama that has unfolded within this organization. And the reason I have become such a fan is at the power that these '7' corps have kept producing over the years and kept me coming back and back for more.

But if someone could fill us all in to what happened around the fall of Star of Indiana and why those corps were ousted in the first place, might shine more light on this new drama that has risen! LOL

Gotta love rumors that take on a life of their own. You're fairly new to the activity and as such, I do appreciate you coming to others to learn what they know.

Jim Mason signed an agreement with Canadian Brass several weeks before the end of the 1993 season. Star of Indiana did not "fall apart" as you heard. A majority of the membership in that first year of Brass Theatre were members of the Star of Indiana corps, including age-outs. Brass Theatre ran for three years before evolving into Blast! I flew to a few cities to do some advance PR work for them in 1994, and no one really had much of an idea of what they were getting. I was saddened to see Star leave DCI, but I was ecstatic with the success of the professional productions that followed, which demonstrated to a far larger audience base just how cool is our activity.

As for other corps being ousted at the BOD meeting, I don't remember anything like that happening many years ago. Perhaps you just jumped a couple decades and were asking about the scenario this decade?

Again; thank you for asking for info instead of just propagating what you've heard. The is commendable and it's how we all learn.

• Like 3

Well it's apparent (to me at least) that most posters in this thread are completely unaware of the number of "assumptions" they're making. In fact many of them belong right on the psychic friends network!

I decided to check in to see what the most interesting man in the world thought of all this :

http://imgflip.com/i/dsyz

• Like 2

Gotta love rumors that take on a life of their own. You're fairly new to the activity and as such, I do appreciate you coming to others to learn what they know.

Jim Mason signed an agreement with Canadian Brass several weeks before the end of the 1993 season. Star of Indiana did not "fall apart" as you heard. A majority of the membership in that first year of Brass Theatre were members of the Star of Indiana corps, including age-outs. Brass Theatre ran for three years before evolving into Blast! I flew to a few cities to do some advance PR work for them in 1994, and no one really had much of an idea of what they were getting. I was saddened to see Star leave DCI, but I was ecstatic with the success of the professional productions that followed, which demonstrated to a far larger audience base just how cool is our activity.

As for other corps being ousted at the BOD meeting, I don't remember anything like that happening many years ago. Perhaps you just jumped a couple decades and were asking about the scenario this decade?

Again; thank you for asking for info instead of just propagating what you've heard. The is commendable and it's how we all learn.

that is why I asked. Its just interesting to see how this all plays out. Like a Drum Corp Soap opera. LOL Thanks for shedding light on my questions. I appreciate it.

I decided to check in to see what the most interesting man in the world thought of all this :

http://imgflip.com/i/dsyz

Bet he doesn't cry into his Dos Equis...probably switches to Schlitz for that.

Edited by Michael Boo

that is why I asked. Its just interesting to see how this all plays out. Like a Drum Corp Soap opera. LOL Thanks for shedding light on my questions. I appreciate it.

Its hard to determine on here sometimes if a poster is pulling our leg or not re their questions, or if your questions were legit. I wrongly assumed the former, not the latter. So I'm pleased that your legitimate curiosity that prompted your questions resulted in other posters responding in a fashion that secured the genuine knowledge on the events that you were interested in. Michael Boo's response is historically accurate and I can confirm what he just said to be true to my understanding as well.

isn't he on the board? and I think he's had a big hand in some of the group deals that DCI has done to reduce some costs to corps

Fred Morrison.. Crossmen... serves on current BOD of DCI as its current Treasurer.

Fred Morrison.. Crossmen... serves on current BOD of DCI as its current Treasurer.

Gotta love any corps director who drives the equipment tractor onto and off the competition field.

• Like 2

For the record, elected by the voting members of DCI on Jan 20th, 2012 ( last year ) were the following for the Executive Board of Directors of DCI :

Chairman : Mark Arnold ( Blue Knights... 3 year term )

Vice Chairman : Chris Komnick ( Madison Scouts... 3 year term )

Exec. Board : Roman Blenski ( Pioneer ... 2 year term. )

. Exec. Board ( Treas. ) : Fred Morrison ( Crossmen... 2 year term. )

Exec. Board ( Sec. ): Tom Spataro ( Boston Crusaders... 1 year term. )

Elected unafiliated Advisory Board Members :

Wyoming Attorney John Masterson.... 3 year term.

Julie Burns.... 2 year term.

Michigan Attorney Mark Stasa... 1 year term.

Boo: I personally have never ran into anyone in the stands at any DCI event who first saw Blast then became aware of DCI. So, did Brass Theater/Blast actually have very much impact at all on introducing new people to DCI?