G7 Update

For the record, elected by the voting members of DCI on Jan 20th, 2012 ( last year ) were the following for the Executive Board of Directors of DCI :

Chairman : Mark Arnold ( Blue Knights... 3 year term )

Vice Chairman : Chris Komnick ( Madison Scouts... 3 year term )

Exec. Board : Roman Blenski ( Pioneer ... 2 year term. )

. Exec. Board ( Treas. ) : Fred Morrison ( Crossmen... 2 year term. )

Exec. Board ( Sec. ): Tom Spataro ( Boston Crusaders... 1 year term. )

Elected unafiliated Advisory Board Members :

Wyoming Attorney John Masterson.... 3 year term.

Julie Burns.... 2 year term.

Michigan Attorney Mark Stasa... 1 year term.

So if this were voted on last year, with the majority of the board only half-way through their term it seems unlikely they would all step down to essentially give their seats away: especially Roman who would go from an Exec Board member to not even being able to vote on things.

On the flip side of that, I can understand the frustrations the 7 directors must feel to not have any seat on the board

Not to be too much of a downer, but can anyone honestly tell me that they believe that there would be just as many butts in seats for in a show with the following lineup, as there would be in a MIM show?:

Colts

Troopers

Oregon Crusaders

Pioneer

Spirit of Atlanta

Pacific Crest

Crossmen

depends on pricing. I have a hunch MIM shows won't be cheap. Your average DCI show, aka not run by YEA, probably has a ticket cost of what, $25?

• Like 1

A previous poster asked how current MM members feel about all this, so apologize if this is redundant.

In the midst of 99% of these posts ranging from very critical of G7 corps to some even suggesting an option of physical violence (really?), leaving their seats when these corps perform, not buying any souvies, not attending any MIM's, etc... Let's not forget this...There are about 1,000 students involved in these corps and many have been devoted members for many years (not even considering the hundreds of volunteers and other supporters).

So, as you leave your seat in protest prior to a G7 peformance, you might want to remember that A) The director may not care if you stick around, and B) you're making a comment about the members of said corps at the same time.

gotta send the message somehow. and for at least one of the 7, watching their director go through his gyrations on the sideline is distracting as hell when the corps is on the field.

• Like 2

Good for G7 for making difficult decisions and doing what they feel is best for the resilience if the activity.

You can't say nothing needs to be done when you don't have a Glassmen or Teal sound on the field in 2013... they are atleast doing something about it.

Carry on!

What is they're doing other than saying "We don't know what to do . . . but you should let us be in charge anyways."?

• Like 1

So... if DCI doesn't respond by Monday 1/14 as demanded, then what?

Mike

I say we give BOD spots to the top 12 corps ranked by net assets on the balance sheet. If you can get a corps through a DCI tour *and* make money, you are doing something right. tongue.gif

Mike

it has to be run like a business, and those corps run their businesses the best.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree with the above; most early season shows are less well-attended than shows later in the season. I also suspect a G7 in show in June would draw considerably better than a 16-23 show (all other things being equal).

kinda like the super show in Texas 2 years ago right?

:ph34r:/>

• Like 1

So many unfounded speculations here. If I grant you all your assumptions, I agree with you.

I'm not so sure the G7 would be willing to start a circuit with just seven corps.

Nor do I think marching WW's are inevitable.

Nor do I think DCI will forcibly kick the G7 out of DCI.

IMO if and when the G7 breaks completely, they'd do so in such way that ensures the new circuit replaces DCI as the acknowledged center of drum corps -- not competes with it.

How? These are the guys that put DCI in the position they claim is broken. These are the guys in their own manifesto claim they don't even know the answers to fix it, they just want the power or else.

Do you realize what they'd have to jack ticket prices up to to cover costs and make money? They'll turn away fans with that when you figure the average non YEA show has an average ticket price of around $20-25. They're on the hook for every cost. Reading the 990's, any kind of loss, and some are hurting big time. Many sponsors despite Daniels claims, are working trades...you advertise us, we'll advertise you. They don't have the big bucks to help pay the bills.

Here's another thing...alumni backlash. Sure alumni will go along regardless. Some won't. That could be a loss of cash there. Trust me, I know more than a few maroon alum who won't give a dime if they leave DCI

• Like 2

[/size]

Could be my faulty memory but I seem to recall the empty-seat argument was the one put forward when the rule was changed. And the membership voted to approved the change. Guess they were just not intelligent enough vote correctly.

well, that's not a surprise

Hate to disagree with you here, Mike, but there is no empirical evidence to suggest that the G7 *are* the draw. There's only supposition by some. There are two posts in here somewhere by two TEP's that suggest their show attendance is NOT affected by line-up (disclosure: one of those posts is mine). While hardly conclusive, the facts presented by these two TEPs are the ONLY empirical proof ever presented one way or another.

While your opinion may be the true, factual one, I have yet to see any hard data that backs up that belief.

well, they kind of are the draw. they voted things to make sure they were the draw. then they got called on it

• Like 1