G7 Update

I'm dying to know what SEPTYNIU stands for...

Eh, if Google Translate is correct, it's Lithuanian for "the seven". Except there should be a tail on the U.

If one went back to corps with primarily local membership (like most of DCM in the early-mid 80's), you don't need to house/feed kids during week because they are housed at the residence, which would presumably have a kitchen. You have practice in the evenings. You only need to rent the bus's for weekends.

That model is long gone, and unless you have many many millions to start enough local corps all over the country, it is gone for good.

• Like 2

Ah, so YOU'RE the guy that attends their shows.

Heh. I went to two Open Class shows for the first time in 2012 (Paw Paw and Finals), and had a great time at both. They were well attended, but the stadiums, admittedly, were pretty small.

• Like 1

So after reading 99% of this thread, my thoughts go to these scattered points:

If the G7 truly have the best interest of Drum Corps as an activity at heart, they would have never called for getting rid of Open Class.

The TOC shows and upcoming MiM shows will draw some spectators away from DCI shows. I saw that when our HS chose to take the MB kids to a TOC show instead of a regular comp last year. For DCI to condone these shows has to hurt them somewhat, but they've allowed it to keep the peace with the G7 greed mongers. I see them as a conflict of interest that shouldn't happen.

If the G7 leave DCI in a hissy-fit, it may make them look bad enough that they may struggle to pull the crowds.

Members that decide to stay with these organizations that leave DCI should be well aware of the road ahead of them and the perceptions of these groups as being not the best ambassadors for Drum Corps.

And can someone please get Hop and his bunch away from DCA before he tries the same #### there, too?

Edited by AlTheKilla

I'd have to go looking for my Brass Theatre literature to find that out, as I don't remember. However, I remember Blast! definitely had info in the program books about how they originated, explaining some about drum corps and DCI.

Yes, I agree. The Playbill I have from seeing them in NY talks about those things.

• Like 1

I have been watching this thread for the last few days, weighing all of the comments and opinions, and decided to wait to see what the different opinions were. As the Director of a corps, I say let "the 7" go scratch in there own sandbox for a couple of years. Since the majority of "the 7" have finished their last few seasons in the red, its going to be up to the others to carry the financial weight. They won't be willing to do that for long. I find it hard to believe that corps like The Colts, The Troopers, The Crossman and the many other great Corps can not do a fantastic show without one of "the 7" in participation. I personally see this as a good thing, it's time for these tin plated dictators with delusions of god-hood to go away. Its been tried before. It has failed before. It will continue to fail. "The 7" are NOT DCI. The board is NOT DCI. The members ARE DCI. Let them leave. In fact, ask them to leave. They are doing nothing more than preventing Acheson and the rest from doing their jobs by making them deal with all of this stupid moronic bull. When "The 7" or "MIM" ,or whatever you want to call them, fails, then allow them to come back to DCI under the condition that they have new leadership. Permanently ban the Directors and The Board members of "the 7". Members of "the7"- your 15 minutes of fame are up and its time for you to just go away.

• Like 8

Yes, I agree. The Playbill I have from seeing them in NY talks about those things.

Mentioning DCI within the historical context of the development of Blast in a Playbill's liner notes is fine and dandy. However, to really have an impact on getting people interested in DCI would it not have been prudent for DCI to have taken out a huge ad in that Playbill?

• Like 1