G7 Update

I'm dying to know what SEPTYNIU stands for...

It's one of the subway lines that runs beneath 7th Avenue in New York City.

Yes, I agree. The Playbill I have from seeing them in NY talks about those things.

Oh... so you're the guy who saves Playbills. :tongue:

• Like 1

Playbills? I just read it for the articl....Never mind. :tongue:

• Like 4

Mentioning DCI within the historical context of the development of Blast in a Playbill's liner notes is fine and dandy. However, to really have an impact on getting people interested in DCI would it not have been prudent for DCI to have taken out a huge ad in that Playbill?

This is interesting... (and I'm only using your post as a springboard, Stu).

If the 7 leave DCI then what, for example, will BD be the "15-time World Champion" of?

I can see their program: "Cadets, 10-time World Champion of Drum Corps International. The organization that was so competitive we had to leave." ??

Or, "The Cadets. 10-time champion of DCI, an organization where there was no competition."

Compelling.

:blink:/>

Actually, your example is not perfect in that the scenario you describe has no resemblance to how DCI operates...at least, not as far as I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DCI has an annual meeting of the bulk of the constituent corps members who decide the broad direction and an eight person Executive committee, three of whom are not corps directors, who handle day-to-day decisions and implementation of the decisions of the larger body.

I don't see the dangers you describe really being a problem for DCI.

They have run in a few different ways over the years. Hasn't always been the same.

Still, you know my interest in your ideas and thought processes, and we agree that the current model is completely unsustainable, so I'd be interested in you sharing what parts of the Mozilla Foundation would interpret well to DCI.

What I find most interesting is how they are structured ...

Non-profit entity is the parent, holds the intellectual property and drives the overall strategic direction.

The for-profit subsidiary is what monetizes that intellectual property and has different management and short term goals.

I think I have mentioned something like this before on this board, where the DCI organization should be split from the events and media businesses and there should be different management.

For example, a distinct event business could not only be laser focused on revenues/profitability of the events, but could also use this expertise and infrastructure to generate revenues OUTSIDE of drum corps. Corporate events, concerts, sporting events, etc.

The event side of the business should have the best CEO and team out there in the events business. They should be highly experienced and well incentivized (generous bonuses for increases in revenues/profitability).

Same goes for the Web and media business. Separate management in that focused on growth and external revenues (who cares if broadcast isn't paying for itself if it is subsidized by the companies' external revenues?).

These businesses also don't need to remain in Indianapolis (they actually shouldn't be there, but should be in places where they can better attract top talent and external clients). Makes sense to have events business in say New York, with the web and media business in Silicon Valley or Seattle. DCI would simply contract the events and media companies to produce certain activities, but would not be responsible for carrying them. The DCI activities should be fully-subsidized by revenues from external corporate work that is returned to DCI then paid back to the subsidiaries.

In this way, costs of the production aspects of the DCI events are covered by revenue from external activities, in turn returning 100% of event revenues back to corps.

What I am getting at here is that the solution to the current situation is not to continue to be monolithic and just change management structure of the single blob. It should be restructured in a way that is much more flexible.

It really confuses me why they aren't taking such an approach to use the expertise and infrastructure they already have to increase revenues beyond the drum corps/band world... and instead fight over pieces of a single pie.

They already have the ingredients, but can't seem to figure out that they can simply BAKE MORE PIES!!!!

Edited by danielray

If the 7 leave DCI then what, for example, will BD be the "15-time World Champion" of?

I can see their program: "Cadets, 10-time World Champion of Drum Corps International. The organization that was so competitive we had to leave." ??

Or, "The Cadets. 10-time champion of DCI, an organization where there was no competition."

Compelling.

blink.gif/>

If they leave then Blue Devils will remain 15 time DCI World Champion.... only Doctor Who can change history (well him and Hollywood).

They will never ever be 16 time DCI World Champion.... unless they ask DCI to let then back in,

If they leave then Blue Devils will remain 15 time DCI World Champion.... only Doctor Who can change history (well him and Hollywood).

They will never ever be 16 time DCI World Champion.... unless they ask DCI to let then back in,

LOL - I can just hear someone not in the know asking

"15 time champs of what?"

"Drum Corps International"

"What's that?"

"Some other group"

"Then why mention it here if it's another group?"

• Like 1

Compelling.

:blink:/>/>

I am as far away from promoting the G7 split-off as anyone on DCP, however your term springboard is interesting. The Blast Playbill liner notes mentioned that they were formerly involved in DCI; implying that DCI was a springboard to their higher level of the Broadway production of Blast. In a G7/DCI split-off scenario couldn't BD and Cadets promote themselves in the same manner within their Program liner notes implying that DCI was a mere springboard to their 'supposed' higher status level? Possible example for their liner notes: (The ensembles appearing in this production were for many years the elite of the drum corps competitive arena. This includes the 15-time DCI World Champion Blue Devils, the 10-time DCI World Champion Cadets, ...) I am not saying the split-off would be a good thing, but just saying that this is a way the G7 could use DCI as a so-called liner note springboard to their production.