G7 Update

The 14th?

We thank you for your consideration and we ask that Mark Arnold inform David Gibbs of the current board/memberships response, before the close of business on Monday the 14th of January if possible. Such will make our own planning all the easier as the meeting dates move towards us.

There sure is a lot of cynicism and paranoia associated with this thread. I feel that the proposal from the 7 is reasonable, level headed, and makes sense for the future of this activity. Why don't the most consistently successful corps have a vote in DCI? That is flat out bad business, DCI is not taking advantage of input from the most successful. No one will convince me that the talk of this being a "power grab" is anything but anti-Hop rhetoric, plain and simple. We have a really bad economic environment in this country, keeping a drum corps alive is a challenging endeavor. If DCI doesn't listen to input from the successful in this activity, they will not survive. I say kudos to the 7 for thinking outside of the box and trying to ensure the future of this great but fragile activity.

Man, you and I are a minority on our opinion about this! You just articulate it better, so no need for me to repeat it. Just have your secretary type it up, and I'll sign it. cool.gif

+++

I noticed that you were -14 on your Like/Dislike or whatever the heck that thing is. But thanks to my contribution to your cause, you are now holding steady at -13!

No need to thank me, but I think we all know who is getting his post "disliked" next. rolleyes.gif

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 5

Garfield. I'm going to be paying $55 for the MiM tickets I'm getting this summer. I think they have that in mind for their show model.

-Mike

and that will price fans out. Plus you know high school groups will get discounts...which eats into their profits. they have to pay for judges and their transportation, advertising....if they are running the show, they have to contract out to food vendors right? programs? multi media?

Not allof their shows are run in super stadiums either, so that limits the number of BITS as well

• Like 1

People keep chiming in with this bit that these same corps directors were the ones that caused DCI to be in the current position. The answer here is both yes and no, but first... we must acknowledge that if it wasn't for them, the activity would not exist at all anymore... done.... finished... over.

Now, just because someone is on a board of an activity, it does not mean they are in charge of the decision-making process. In fact, many of the decisions during this period went in exactly the opposite way that these individuals wanted, simply because of the way DCI is set up.

The real issue here is that at DCI everything is a design by committee. If you want to have a horrible result, get more people involved.

A perfect example... our company is in the middle of a major rebrand for a very large organization. The initial concepts when working with the brand manager were brilliant.

In order to get final sign-off, the brand manager had to take it to various groups within the organization to get their sign-off. Each group wanted to change or add some small details that they felt addressed their individual priorities.

This morning I got the concepts incorporating each group's requirements. They are horrible in comparison to the original. But, no one is really unhappy... while no one is really happy.

This is design by committee... dulling brilliance, making no one happy, but no one really unhappy.

Less people need to be involved with the decision-making process at DCI. More bold steps and clear actions should be taken. If they #### up, they should be replaced by others who will similarly have consolidated control and will take bold actions. Adding more people to the decision-making process is 100% the wrong thing to do.

So, back to addressing your point... yes, they were there. Yes, they were on the board. But... the way the organization was structured, it was design by committee, so not exactly what you are describing.

you're also smart enough to know in a committee, some voices have more power and sway than others. if you don't have a vote on the EBOD, just the regular BOD, is it wise to #### off the EBOD guys?

having people run an organization that compete against each other 3 months of the year, then try to be buddies the other 9 months is lunacy.

• Like 4

it seems like we need a ufc president dana white type of a person to head dci now.

Oh God, he's more drama than Hop

:tongue:/>

I wonder how the group that finishes DEAD LAST will feel....

yeah, someone will always have to go on 1st too

I feel that the proposal from the 7 is reasonable, level headed, and makes sense for the future of this activity. Why don't the most consistently successful corps have a vote in DCI? [...] If DCI doesn't listen to input from the successful in this activity, they will not survive. I say kudos to the 7 for thinking outside of the box and trying to ensure the future of this great but fragile activity.

It only seems reasonable shorn of the context of the previous proposal by THE SEVEN, which would be enabled by agreeing to this one.

Honestly, I have no problem granting them what they request. The top placing corps should have the biggest voice in the activity. And if you want to gain a voice, it's pretty simple... get better.

But based on previous statements by SEPTEM, that's exactly what won't happen if they get their way now. Surely their first move, upon the membership voting to change DCI's bylaws so that only the top twelve can vote in the future, will be to call for a new vote, to change DCI's bylaws again so that something like the G-7 proposal takes effect. This proposal will of course pass by a vote of seven to five (and may very well strip the five of voting power). And then DE ZEVEN will arrange things so that they each get a bigger cut of the show proceeds, and exclusive weekend shows with no competition from lower-ranking corps, and permanent status for themselves as members of this elite. How on earth does anyone "get better" on the terms LES SEPT are known to advocate?

Given this flouting by NG PITONG of DCI's mission of cooperation and mutual benefit for all corps, the question is: what kind of hardball should DCI be playing this month? DCA banned Renegades for a year because their members smashed up some hotel rooms, on the grounds that such activity reflected badly on the organization. This G-7 nonsense seems much worse to me, much more detrimental to drum corps as a whole (rather than to the little club for seven groups who think they're everything). Should, and can, DCI ban Blue Devils and Cadets (and any other ringleaders of this nonsense) from participating in DCI events for, oh, the next three years? Will that be enough to end this foolishness? Could those corps survive even one year without at least half their expected show income? DCI certainly can survive without two or three corps, even the past two years' champions. Would the other five members of A HET abandon BD and Cadets, given that with two fewer corps, they now get a slightly bigger share of the DCI pie (and a clear shot at victory, in Crown's case)?

(edited to fix a couple typos)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 4

What should have been done is this:

Make the 2013 "special show series" the bon voyage tour the G7 have been threatening all along. As a condition of participation in those shows and enjoying the benefits of double pay and extra promotion, each corps signs an agreement that 2013 will be their last year as a DCI participant.

Would be interesting to see how many of the "The 7" would sign on.

Honestly, I have no problem granting them what they request. The top placing corps should have the biggest voice in the activity. And if you want to gain a voice, it's pretty simple...get better.

That is not how it works. We have already seen that the "The 7" have declared themselves the ruling class of the activity. The first change they made to the format of the shows formerly known as TOC was to remove the merit-based qualification of the Boston Crusaders, who beat the Cavaliers fair and square in 2012. So "better" does not matter.

• Like 5